Elgato Stream Deck - start automatically with MSFS?

Got the sim through Xbox game pass but cannot find the exe to map it to a profile on the Elgato Stream Deck so it will start automatically when I launch MSFS.
I can do this with all my other sims. Does anyone know how to find the MSFS exe or another way to implement this with the stream deck?

1 Like

The Flight Simulator exe resides in the WindowsApps folder on your C drive. This folder may be hidden/protected by default, so you may have to mess with permissions a bit.

Thanks. I did mess with that folder earlier but couldn’t get the permissions to change on it. I’ll try again tomorrow.

Managed to get full read access and can now see the exe. The challenge I have now is how to get access to that exe file - needed to associate it with a stream deck profile. No matter what I do, I remain locked out of the file and it seems to be a common issue with the contents of the WindowsApps folder.
Has anyone managed to set up a dynamic profile for MSFS 2020 in Elgato Streamdeck?

I will try as soon as I get home from work. I’ve simply been selecting the profile manually. I’ll try connecting it to the exe

Thanks - I appreciate it. It’s just more convenient than manually selecting the profile. I don’t think it would be an issue if I bought the full sim via Steam but wanting to stick with MS Store for potential Xbox use in the future.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I just bought a Stream Deck a couple of days ago mainly to use with Flight Simulator and have been trying to figure this out myself. Hopefully someone can come up with a solution.

1 Like

Okay, I have a suitable workaround.
You can create a shortcut on the desktop of MSFS and have the Streamdeck point to that to launch it but it won’t switch profile when MSFS Is running because you need to point to the actual exe and this access is denied.
The trick I did was to create a multiaction key on the streamdeck - the first action launches MSFS and the second action switches to the MSFS profile. This means when I use the streamdeck to launch MSFS, it then switches to my MSFS profile without any other interaction. Works great for me.
I also added an additional key at the top level of the MSFS profile to switch back to the default profile so I can switch back once I close MSFS without the need to mouse through the streamdeck menus.
Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Nice workaround, thanks for the suggestion!

A quick update. I actually have 3 actions, the additional one was a 1 min delay between the app launching and switching the profile. I did because without it, the profile was switching back to default before MSFS was fully loaded. This resolved it.
I also notice when I exit MSFS, it switches back to the default profile automatically so I don’t need the additional key on the MSFS profile to do this step.

1 Like

My MSFS folder is installed on drive A:, so i just have selected the exe from this folder and it switched automatically and back to default when i exit MSFS. Now i need a profile for to use my stream deck. :grin:

Are you running the Steam version by any chance? The MS version exe is locked for many people hence the need for the workaround. It does seem when you exit the sim back to desktop, streamdeck will switch back to your default profile though without any exe monitoring.

Yes i am running on the steam version. My profile is starting when MSFS is opening and stay open like in other games. Just programmed a few keys on ATC for to test, and it works fine. When i leaving MSFS it switches back to the default profile as usual.

Anyone have a good profile for the Stream Deck that they would like to share?

Hi to all,
here is my “little” Stream Deck profile.
it’s just what i need (only all Keyboard Shortcuts)

Please let me know, useful or not :wink:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uu5CFWfpSZ9xg7C95lVEZSb0sd0YiNbU/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

In case anyone doesn’t want to sort through 600+ comments, the easiest way I found to launch MSFS from a Stream Deck is to install the “Advanced Launcher” and use the “MS Store (UWP) Launcher” action.

Or you can simply create a desktop shortcut and link to that from Streamdeck.

How do you do that? On my machine, I can only put it in the task bar.

Find the flight sim link in your start menu, left click and drag to the desktop - it will create the shortcut which you can point streamdeck to.