Error code 0x803f8001 after chaning hardware

Hy guys,

just to test a new Mainboard, i switched to a new one, everything works, also MSFS.
Then i switched back to the old one, but now i alwyas get the message:
Error code 0x803f8001 and it says, that MSFS is not available on my account and that i should login in my account (yeah, I’m logged in…)
What I tried:

• Restarting computer
  • Resetting the apps in settings
  • Troubleshooter for “Windows Store Apps”
  • Verfied Windows 10 activation (activated)
  • Ran “sfc /scannow” command in CMD (no problems found)
    *Repairing Windows Store with the following CMD command:
    PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command “& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + ‘\AppxManifest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}”
  • Ran following command in PoweShell: Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “windowscommunicationsapps”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
  • Repaired MSFS in Apps
  • Reseted MSFS in Apps
  • reinstalled Digital Ownership

Nothing of that points helped. Any ideas (except a clean new installation of Win 10?)

Thanks and cheers,
CB

Your MS Store account has a manage devices option in settings. It might be worth checking your mobo hasn’t somehow been disabled, as it will be the mobo that will identify the device.

2 Likes

Contact Microsoft Support for help

1 Like

i deleted all devices there, some seconds later, one (the PC I’m online here) is back again, so that shoudln’t be the issue (I hope ^^)

Yeah, but they may take days or weeks to help / answer, that’s why I’d consider that as the last option.
I just treid delete MSFS and new install…
It installs about 1.xx GB, then when you try to open it (to download the rest 150-200GB) i got the same message (sorry it’s in German):

Windows is activated:
grafik

Just one Device:

BTW: it’s only MSFS not woking, Office and other (yeah i know, not MSFS Games) are working

So I got answer from MS Support…
The only idea they had, ist to logout and login again in the MS-Store…
Of course not working.
So i did a complete Win10 new installation, everything is working again, but yeah… a lot of work to setup all programs again…

do you tried already WSReset ? … seems easier as re-installing windows :wink:

Jep, I tried everything I found in a lot of forums, nothing helped…
Even completely deactivated Windows, logged out from everything, reseted the MS Store, MSFS, tried to recover it with a recovery point from 2 weeks ago etc…
Nothing worked.
But yeah, re-installing incl. Set-up everything doen’t take that long…
Maybe half a day, so it took me less, than it took me time to try all that other stuff and reading in forums ^^
BTW: MS-Support sends me an answer every two days… really fast (in Germany) ^^

1 Like

For future issues, check out Acronis True Image software. It has saved my butt many times and doesn’t take long to restore a PC…

1 Like

Just installed a new MoBo and now I’m getting the same error code. Anyone have a fix??

Open microsoft store app and click profile icon and click your user account

click > sign out

Reboot PC.

Open ms store app and sign in

Delete Cache Folder! Restart Computer, relaunch MSFS 2020

Bad idea. If he delete localcache folder he laso delete game settings and probably msfs :wink:

No need :wink:

That didn’t work for me in the past.

The only way for me was just the reinstall of Windows.
I tried different stuff for more than 8 hours, contact windows support, tired everything i found in the web, and nothing worked.

If i did a reinstall instantly, it would’ve saved me a lot of time ^^

Thx for info.

When I changed mobo and cpu afterwards I logged out of Xbox account and then back in - fixed this problem

1 Like

Had the same problem today, after testing a second motherboard I had lying around. Not realising that it could cause problems with MSFS, I also ended up with this error. And I also tried all methods I could find on the internet mentioned above and a few more. All to no avail.

HOWEVER, I really wasn’t keen on a complete reinstall from the ground up, so I created a USB stick with the current Windows 10 version 21H1 (using Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool - https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10).

Then I deinstalled MSFS (keeping the Community and Official folders by renaming them to Official.2 and Community.2 as a backup).

I then started the Windows 10 installation routine from the USB stick while Windows was running. In case you’ve never done that: this way the Windows installation routine gives you the option of either a completely new installation or a kind of repair installation keeping all your previous settings, installed programs, user profile and files. So after this reinstall your Windows should look like it did before. I’m not sure if this completely swaps the Windows version for a new one, or if just the defects and faults are repaired. But since MSFS started again I don’t really care ;-).

After installing the first 1.1GB of MSFS via the Microsoft Store I then started MSFS, renamed the Official.2 back to Official and redirected MSFS to be installed in its old location. This way it recognises the old Official folder and you don’t have to download the 130+ GB of data again.

So - compared to a complete reinstall - this may be the easier and less painful solution to get rid of the error, if the methods in the first post don’t work for you.

1 Like

I got this error because I changed my microsoft password on my email account. Of course that flowed to the store and that is why I got the message. When I went to the store, logged out then logged in with my new password, MSFS worked as usual. Try the simple things first before you change out boards. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also got this error when I replaced my Motherboard, CPU and RAM. All I needed to do is log back in to Xbox app, which was no longer logged in.