ERROR Crash: msfs error: dxgi_error_device_hung (0x887a0006)

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

YES

Brief description of the issue:

After the most recent Update to the most recent Nvidia GPU driver it crashes again at the Main Menu. Reinstalled the Game 3 times, Reinstalled Windows about a month ago. Did the DDU and reinstalled different Versions of NVidia GPU drivers in hopes of a fix.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

https://i.imgur.com/uxDgLTM.jpeg

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Update Windows and Nvidia Driver, Start game, crash at Main Menu

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

PC specs and peripheral set up:

CPU: Intel i7 9700K
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster ML240R RGB
Mainboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB
Graphiccard: ASUS ROG RTX2080 8GB
M.2: WD Black 250GB
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO
M.2: Samsung 1 TB (Drive of MSFS install)
HDD: WD Black 4TB
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750w 80+ Gold
Monitor 1: ACER Predator XB240H
Monitor 2: Philips 244 E
Microphone: Blue Yeti
Headset: Audiotechnica AS50
Controller: Currently for testing only Xbox one Controller
Keyboard: Sharkoon Skiller SGK3
Mouse: Razer Basilisk V3

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Fault bucket 1721618262088231504, type 5

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Current one

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

I am having exactly the same problem since today and it occured out of the blue…I am not running on NVIDIA but on AMD Radeon 6900XT. I have also attached the monitor to the built-in Intel graphics (770) and the same error occured. all other apps and games run without any problems. Don`t know how to solve this issue.

Same issue. Almost 100% of the time, started very recently - about a week or so ago.

1 Like

So I switched from the Nvidia Game Ready Driver to the Studio one…
Also got the game on steam now instead of the Microsoft store and gamepass. Lost my purchased plane in the process, which is a bummer, since it is the same Microsoft account.

So far it works. But the question is, for how long?

1 Like

Crash: msfs error: dxgi_error_device_hung (0x887a0006)]

Getting this too not changed anything - all since the latest update.

2 Likes

Also having this issue non stop and the worst part is that you don’t know when its gonna happen.

1 Like

So for me it worked by Undervolting my GPU… Which should not be necessary at the slightest

Hello Happiton!

How did you lower your GPU?

It didn’t work when you switched to Steam?

thanks

Same error here :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Does anyone here have HAGS on???

1 Like

I switched to Steam and the Nvidia Studio driver.
Just transferring to Steam did not make it go away but helped slightly.
Still had to Undervolt the GPU, which again, should not be necessary at all to play one game.

This tutorial outlines Undervolting pretty well.
Keep in mind though, that if you Undervolt your GPU you will not be able to Stream on one system.

1 Like

Boujour has you desolated I do not understand your last sentence I am French, can you formulate diferously? Thank you very much, are there any risks to fly the graphics card? How much should it be subvolted?

You should not need to undervolt the GPU. I’ve been running my eVGA RTX 3090 Ti slightly overclocked for quite a while, and using nVidia driver 536.23 for several weeks (since basically being forced to update from my beloved 529.31 after the last MSFS update)
I have not had any CTD’s that couldn’t be directly linked to another issue.

OC settings using eVGA Precision X1

GPU Memory +400 MHz
GPU Clock +110 MHz
GPU Voltage +0 mV

If you have to undervolt a GPU you probably have one with sub-optimal VRM’s…

Yes

Did not change anything in my system.

Using RTX 4070 with latest Game drivers. Default settings for the GPU.

My error happens when exiting VR in Quest 2

My error happens when exiting VR in Quest 2
RTX4080, DX12, Frame generator on,

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.49.30

1 Like

Also having this problem again…when starting the app after a few seconds (within the startup procedure) it crashes with the same error message on a white background. Restarting the app (PC still running, no reboot) everything works fine…haven`t found the reason yet.

It seems I can only get a few flights per week to finish properly. This game crashes more than it runs.
Unfortunately, this is nothing new and has been happening for a long time. It’s the reason I drop the game every time and then I come back a few months later (I don’t know why) only to find that the problem is still there.

I also followed the Asobo post saying I need to rollback my graphics driver and it went well for a full 3 flights (never before). But I just crashed, now the error saying I am running an old driver.

Asobo really needs to fix these. More than anything, this is absolutely killing this game for me.

2 Likes

Does it do this using DX11 ?

No, the few succesful flights I had were on DX11. This one crashed on DX12 indeed. I had switched once I saw the improved stability.

Does DLSS work with DX11 ? That was my main reason for switching back to DX12.

In case that this might help someone. In my case, the issue happened constantly and it wasn’t isolated to MSFS2020, it basically happened with any game.

Since I changed the connection PC - Display from Display Port to HDMI everything seems to work fine for now.