Ethernet Connection

Hi there. I’ve been having an issue with FS2020 after purchasing it 1 month ago. The flight Sim will not boot when my ethernet cable is plugged in. Literally, the second I unplug the ethernet cable, it boots. I’m new to MSFS 2020 but I’ve been flight simming since 2009.

I’ve tried booting with ethernet cable coming from my Apple Airport and directly from router but nothing solves this issue other than simming via wi-fi.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up:

Motherboard is Rogue Strix z690 wifi D4
CPU is I Core i7-12700K, 12 (8P+4E) Cores 5.0 GHz Unlocked LGA1700 600 Series
Chipset 125W
GPU is Gigabyte GeForce 3080Ti 12GB
Corsair MP600 pro 1TB SSD
Corsair DOMINATOR® PLATINUM RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM
4000MHz C19

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Have you installed all the chip set and mobo drivers? They basically won’t work properly without them.

Yes. That was one of the first things I did.

Topic moved into Community Support.

The bug reporting category is for reporting confirmed bugs using the provided template. When seeking assistance, please use the category “Community Support” #self-service :+1:

Whoops. Sorry.

If this board also has WiFi you may need to disable this in control panel or the bios. It could be possible that both the WiFi and Ethernet are connected to the same network you have an issue where the traffic doesn’t know which connection to use or possibly asymmetrical routing.

Network settings ethernet adapter setting disconnect and directly reconnect game should boot now
Without unplug the cable. I had this for a while some 3 weeks ago, after i did a complete reinstall and this

Check this thread

Does the internet even work on that connection?

Reddit has a lot of posts with ethernet issues on z690 if you have a z690 board? might be worth looking over there too.

Thanks everyone for he help. This is bizarre. So everything works fine via ethernet connection except FS 2020. I ended up disabling the ethernet adapter then re-enabling it. This temporarily solved the problem.

2 Likes

I too started having this issue in mid-August. I did a complete reinstall and it did not fix the issue. I then upgraded my NVMe from 500gb to 1tb, fresh install of Windows 10, updated it and all drivers and then installed MSFS. Stil would not load. After completing all steps for this issue on the microsoft site, someone on reddit suggested trying via wifi instead of my usual ethernet. So yesterday I unplugged ethernet and it worked. So then I tried via wifi and it also worked. Went back to ethernet, and it did not work. Not sure why. I have Verizon FiOS and my speeds via ethernet are >600MBPS and uploads are >500MBPS with a 5ms ping. Prior to this issue MSFS would love fine for the past year.
I’m running:
Asus ROG Strix z560-I
Nvidia RTX 3070
32GB gSkillz RAM
Temps and hardware checks all okay.

Did you make sure your ethernet drivers are up to date?

Yes as stated above. Fresh install of windows with all updates and drivers installed. I didnt mention that i had also disabled windows defender.

Having the exact same issue. I see your post is two months old. Were you ever able to resolve it and if so, how?

Fyi - Now that I thought about this a little more, I had this a year or so ago - ethernet would not work but my wifi would work. Ended up being a data storm on my ethernet link. One of my peripherals (a switch) was continuously dumping garbage data on the ethernet link and nothing else would work.

Mmm. There is one 5-port switch between my router and PC, so I suppose I could try bypassing that. Weird that the Ethernet works fine on every other app though. Right now I’m stuck with having to unplug Ethernet and turn on Wi-Fi every time I want to play MSFS.

I stumbled across this thread because this morning, for the first time, MSFS would hang on the load screen before the main menu, and I could not figure out the issue. Then it occurred to me that I hadn’t played since I had FiOS installed. Sure enough, if I disabled the ethernet, it would get past the load screen and load the main menu instantly. I fixed it by downloading and installing the network adapter driver from my Mobo’s download page, instead of using the most up to date drivers available from Windows Update and that seems to have fixed the issue. Strange, and frustrating!

1 Like

I have been having the same issue and have been just using Wi-Fi for my connection since around last August when this started. Seems the common denominator here is FIOS. I also just tried what you mentioned and loaded the LAN driver directly from ASUS rather than Windows Update. Didn’t seem to resolve it. Wonder if there is somethign going on with the router side with FIOS? Been frustrustated by this one for a while now and can’t seem to pin-point the issue.

1 Like

Hi all!
I have exactly this issue and Fios. Anyone find a fix? Maybe fios blocks different port forwards on Ethernet vs Wi-Fi? And these affect msfs but not other games?

I’m glad I’m not crazy. I thought my mobo I226-v Ethernet chipset had issues so installed a second pcie gige card which didn’t fix msfs. Steam downloads other games at 100MB/s (Wi-Fi disabled ) so I know it’s msfs.

What a ■■■■■■ bug. I guess I’m unplugging Ethernet to play msfs. Actually forget it I’ll just play IL2 until they fix it. And add a proper Api for controllers so I can use all my custom sim rig stuff!

Cheers

Btw same issue and for me doesn’t matter if go through switch or straight to router.

Problem solved - at least for my setup. Hope works for others. Turned off ipv6 in my Verizon g3100 router.