Excessive Icing effect

Worth knowing that there is a separate bug, in that if the aircraft is in clear air and you fly the drone camera in to icing conditions, the aircraft ices up! This may possibly explain some reports of unexpected icing in clear conditions. Have reported it to ZenDesk.

2 Likes

It may be bad in the airliners, but please try a C172 in mild icing conditions (OAT at 0c - with some drizzle). Takeoff from an airfield near sea level and try to maintain your altitude and speed once icing appears, even at 1 to 2000 ft.

Well freezing drizzle is pretty severe on a small GA plane without anti-icing and de-icing systems so thats not so weird

1 Like

There actually was a recent real world fatal crash of a GA aircraft that flew into Freezing Drizzle / Rain in Lubbock, Texas so that would actually be very realistic. Now the icing in other conditions and on airliners is actually really over done.

2 Likes

Try it without drizzle.

I’m not doubting the dangers of aircraft icing and the sort of conditions that can cause it, nor how it affects lift, but I am querying the extremely rapid onset of icing and immediate effects just after takeoff with an aircraft that is supposedly initially just out of the hangar, warm and ice free. The drizzle was a bonus, but it would happen without it.
I’m not unfamiliar with aircraft, (though not a pilot), & have sent off plenty of trainers flying quite safely in cold and icy conditions for short periods with no ill effect except to my hands and feet. I am slightly suspicious of the way the engine behaves too, with it seeming to lack in power, almost as if there was carb icing going on - odd, since these are fuel injected. However that might be more to do with the mixture setting issues we currently have in light aircraft.

3 Likes

I get what you’re saying now. Yeah the icing is really ramped up and really needs to be revisited. I’ve had times where everything is fine, fly through 1 small cloud for a few seconds and there would then be icing over the whole plane and the engine RPM drop as if I’d just flash freezed the whole plane.

6 Likes

Exactly. It’s like that film
 The day after Tomorrow. It certainly makes flying interesting :wink:

2 Likes

You might be right if it occurs without the drizzle as well. But freezing drizzle is NOT mild icing conditions, this can be pretty severe actually. Fuel injected engine might not have a carburator, they still have an air intake which is not heated in most aircrafts which is prone to icing (but not as prone as a carburetor), also the prop picks up ice, gets heavier and creates more drag.

But its well know the icing effect is overdone in MSFS.

1 Like

it’s just stupid
 this is not a simulator, its a game.

2 Likes

My poor little plane started icing right before my eyes the second it spawned on the ground, within 15 seconds completely iced over. It’s cold here in Utah but not that cold :slight_smile:

1 Like

-5c OAT with fog

Completely iced over in a matter of seconds.

1 Like

I doubt a plane would ice up that quickly in -50c, let alone -5c ! :sweat_smile:

It wouldn’t really ice up at all at -50° C. At that temp, it’s already frozen, so it wouldn’t stick to the airframe to begin with, unless you were going so fast (we’re talking like Mach 3 give or take) to heat up the skin of your airframe enough to melt the existing ice fast enough to freeze and stick on your plane. If that made sense, I had a hard time writing what my brain was saying.

3 Likes

Not anymore

Ah someone that knows what he’s talking about, thank you!

1 Like

Yes, absolutely [use of tautology for effect there]!
It’s like my aircraft is being attacked by some kind of Stephen King malevolent ice version rather than the ‘real’ thing.

Need to fix this Asobo!

1 Like

At -50C there wouldn’t be much icing, in fact below -40C the chance on icing is extremely unlikely as moist would be frozen without freezing nuclei present. From slightly positive OAT to -12C most icing can be expected. It’s cool they came up with these icing effects, but as with everything, do it properly or leave it. Asobo seems to have a lack of knowledge if they think this is what icing looks like in flight.

The icing effect in MSFS is overdone but looks pretty realistic on ground as it is some kind of frost, I would expect an aircraft to look exactly like that when parking overnight in freezing fog. In the air however its totally unrealistic, you will never pick-up any ice (let alone frost) on the side of the fuselage or vertical stabilizer. Also ice on top of the wing behind the wing leading edge is already an indication of SEVERE icing conditions, yet this is the first place icing forms in MSFS :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

This really is nuts. I’ve gone through ice conditions, with anti-ice on, both wings and engine. Come out and it’s still lightly covered and won’t remove. Who’s giving them information? This is not right at all. The ice on the protected areas should be clean. I’m glad they fixed the windshield problem but this is still not right, Asobo!!! Please get reliable sources.

I didn’t check since last update but a couple of weeks ago I noticed the side and cabin windows on the TBM icing up when switching off windshield heat. Interesting since those windows are not heated in the first place and won’t ice up in flight anyway :sweat_smile:. Maybe they’ve fixed it by now, didn’t check.

Please just a option to turn it off!

1 Like