Excessive Icing effect

Yep, another vote that the icing is overdone.

1 Like

Its funny how ALL the windows of the Caravan ice up in 30 seconds or so, even the passenger ones. Yet a shot of anti ice fluid on the windshield has even the rear most windows clearing up.

There already is!
Itā€™s in the simā€™s menus somewhere.

Ill search again but I cant find itā€¦are you sure?

When I get the chance myself I will find it for you and post back here.
In the meantime perhaps someone else will chip in.

If your talking about the developers menu that will clear it but you have to hold the slider to the left. As soon as you let go it starts building immediately. There is no way to turn off.

Hi again,

Try this:
Within the sim go to ā€˜Optionsā€™ / ā€˜Assistanceā€™ / ā€˜Failure and damageā€™ / ā€˜Icing effectā€™
and set it to Visual only.

I havenā€™t tried this, myself, but according to the notes this will disable any and all performance degradation, whilst at the same time retaining the visual effects.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Iā€™ve tried that on several occasions, it doesnā€™t seem to have any positive effect. The 172 still falls out of the sky. The only way Iā€™ve survived clouds in colder than 0 C weather is holding the icing slider to the left in DevMode. Iā€™ve mostly given up trying to fly in cold weather until they address the issue, so tooling around Hawaii at the moment, going to ship my plane to NZ and fly with the Kiwis for a while until they address it.

LilyCRose

Ah another bug! I expect itā€™s been reported.
Good info. Probably saved me [and others] from the icy dive of death!
Many thanks.

Just a thought. Have you tested this since the latest update?

No, Iā€™ll try that tomorrow and let you know the results here. But based on other entries, I doubt itā€™s been fixed.

Tried flying from Merignac to Seattle in live weather this morning and the B787 took on so much ice it failed to climb above FL250 - with anti-ice on auto. I tested a bit later with both the B787 and the B747 on the same route comparing the two. The B787 takes on ice regardless of anti-ice being switched on already at pushback. Leading edge, wing and engines have ice build-ups that eventually kills any hope of remaining airborne. The B747 however takes on ice but nowhere near the proportions of the B787, happily climbing to FL340. The B787 actually stalled again just below FL260.

I think itā€™s just a matter of coding here. The question is when will Asobo get to it. Every aircraft accumulates differently to ice in the sim which isnā€™t real. But, with some time and work spent, many of our woes can be solved. Hereā€™s hoping sooner than later.

As a followup to my earlier post, climbing out of CYDF, Cessna 172, icing set to visual effects only, 100 IAS @ about 6000ā€™, -10 C, flew through a cloud, within 20 seconds stall warning and IAS dropped to around 50. Escaped, turned on DevMode, pushed slider left, airspeed climbed back to about 90 IAS within about 45 seconds. So Visual Effects only will also kill my little kitty (N9KTY), sorry to say.

2 Likes

Wow. Good job on the quick recovery.

Probably helps that I was fully expecting it to happen, though hopeful it wouldnā€™t.

Hahah! Yeah, thatā€™s true.

For me itā€™s the sameā€¦ From the moment that I fly through a cloud, the aircraft gets covered in ice, even with anti-ice on.

Result: Climb rate of 200 fpm, excessive fuel burning rate,ā€¦

Fix: Saving the flight and load it again.
EDIT: In last try to load the flight, the flight plan was gone so mentioned solution is also not stable enoughā€¦

1 Like

The other solution is what Iā€™ve been using, hold the slider to the left in DevMode until you are in the clear again. But mostly now I just fly where itā€™s warm, until they address the problem.

hey guys thank you so much for all votes we got over 250 votes qnd i think we are starting to get microsoft and asobo s attention. Please share rhis form in as many community platforms as possible.So we can get some more votes . Hopefully, we can see Asobo adresses the problem soon.