Excessive Turbulence

Been flying around the west coast for the past few days. The turbulence is ridiculous above 10000 feet. Showing over 100 knots wind, even if this was the case the turbulence makes the airplane un flyable. Seeing drops of 3000FPM, then stalling… It is way too over modelled. Flying YVR to YLW the whole route is beyond bumpy. Anyone else notice this? Mods, move to bug forum if that is more appropriate.

1 Like

Not flying in Canada yet, but in Scandinavia everything is fine. „Normal“ Windvectors in different heights.

Severe turbulence in cruse at FL330 over Grteenland today. 70kt wind and some pretty active weather. This was the result:

Not sure if these ‘mountains’ contributed to the turbulence…

It does seem rather extreme; damage caused by overstress is now turned off…

1 Like

While mountain turbulence does seem to be modeled, and can be very dangerous, those mountains seem a bit… erm, off. Don’t think the modeling bugs contributed to the turbulence though!

FWIW… I’m glad to see that it is possible for weather to cause critical damage.

AFAIK nobody has reported that in severe thunderstorms or the hurricanes seen so far.

LOL no probably not!

It actually was providing a pretty immersive flight in pretty bad choppy conditions. The wind and cloud formations all matched and made sense. Just a shame something critical broke.

1 Like

Please vote for terrain/clear sky turbulence to be toned down.

Just an FYI… the chart below can be found at this web address - you can look up both wind speed and temperature at a given altitude. Helpful for planning flights; fuel burn is an issue when flying into a 125 kt headwind!

(And turbulence isn’t much fun either…)

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just upvoted the turbulence thread. Is this a bug or real behavior? i mean im going back and forth 30 degrees and losing 1500 feet in a matter of seconds at 39,000 feet… its insane.

I’ve tried vewing turbulence reports to avoid it but its impossible, its always over mountains regardless of where you’re at.

I’ve been on a few lights in the big tubes where the captain had aircrew “return to their stations” enroute due to a bad case of “the bumpies.” Lots of expletives and screaming… so, yes… it is entirely possible to drop 1500 feet in a matter of seconds.

A buddy of mine would never get in the plane again with me after I cut it a bit too close to the Coastal Range on a hot day going back to the Central Valley. I should have taken him on a “scenic tour” of Morro Bay to gain altitude, but he wanted to be home for dinner.

High or low, wind shear or thermals, turbulence happens.

:smile:

some good insight, what do you do to avoid it? for instance I’m flying IFR from KORD to KSEA. There’s some pretty bad wind according to that map above 30,000 fee and and is right in my route. I guess the game is seemingly accurate because I’m currently battling a 100kt headwind.

What do I do to avoid all this headwind and turblence in FS2020? Fly way south?

You can always check at different altitudes to see what you’ve got. You nearly always “get help” flying east from some pretty good tailwinds. Headed west is a different story. Flying too low eats your fuel, but then again, so does a 100 kt. headwind!

:grinning:

Guys… I hate to play this card but I am a pilot in real life. Even with the winds as shown, 130 knots… you do not get that kind of turbulence. I am dropping 2000 FPM, the airplane is uncontrollable. In real life that would be an emergency… it is way over modeled and wrong.

3 Likes

I am also a pilot in “real life” - it would be great for a ATP rated in 737s (or similar) to chime in. My experience in the Flight Levels is limited to being a passenger on commercial flights.

As mentioned, I’ve had some pretty bumpy rides over the years…

1 Like

yeah, some discussion going on here over this. There definitely seems to be something up with the terrain and subsequent turbulence…

Turbulence over mountains is way, way over the top

Hi,
agree . over mountains + over 10.000 ft, all around the planet
Even if you planned a quiet trip with a TBM, even if you’ve checked TAC forecasts, you’ll have a bumpy flight, quite unflyable
One more bug => hope for a patch (not for an update ) fixing also non accuraty with METAR and TAF
Jacky

1 Like

You’re right. Sometimes you can face really strange weather even if should be calm.
Today I checked my new graphic card and suddenly I didn’t had real weather at different locations
Later that day weather come back and I flown a short sightseeing trip starting at KEF.
Weather was CAVOK and I flown to east and there was a cloud front coming up in the east and I had a lot of turbulence, not really heavy but noticeable.
So, i checked real weather and i got a wow effect, because it was exactly like real weather. Never experienced that before.

1 Like