Given enough time this whole plateau will be gone as well

Erigavo also spelled as Ceerigaabo or Erigabo

Onwards to Berbera

Back towards the coast, down the ridge

Gulf of Aden in sight

Berbera, the former capital of British Somaliland protectorate

Now flying towards the new capital of Somaliland

Hergeisa, the capital of Somaliland since 1941

Freedom square War memorial to commemorate Somaliland’s breakaway attempt in the 1980s

About 80% of the city was destroyed in 1988 by aerial bombardment during the civil war. I remember my mother having her hands full with a lot of refugees from Somalia late 80s, early 90s. (She worked for vluchtelingenwerk in the Netherlands). Since my mother wasn’t comfortable driving and I had just got my license I ended up driving some back and forth. One women was not used to cars and we had to keep pulling over as the motion made her sick.

War has terrible effects on people. One morning on the way to school, one of the people my mother was helping tried to commit suicide by train. He survived, I can still hear his screams as they tried to back the train off his legs (which he lost)

Flying on, Dugu, Ethiopia

Jijiga not much further

On the way to Dire Dawa

After a quick stop at Dire Dawa, further towards Addis Ababa

Fantale, stratovolcano crowned by a 350 meter deep crater

Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia

African Union Commission conference center at the bottom

The lions of Judah, n the left, Lion of Judah monument from 1954, a cultural symbol of Afrocentrism

On the right, the original monument from 1930. The statue resided in Rome from 1935 to the 1960s, transported there when Italy occupied Addis Ababa at the end of the second Italo-Ethiopian war. It was nearly removed again by the Derg regime after the 1974 revolution. It was allowed to stay as a memory of Ethiopian antifascist resistance and a symbol of Ethiopia.

Tiglacin monument, a memorial to Ethiopian and Cuban soldiers involved in the Ogaden War

The Ogaden War, or the Ethio-Somali war was a dispute between Ethiopia and Somalia which began with the invasion of Ogaden by Somalia. Cuban troops sent by Fidel Castro delivered a major defeat to Somalia. The war left Somalia with a disorganized and demoralized army and an angry population. All of these conditions led to a revolt in the army which eventually spiraled into a civil war. The one I touched on in Hergeisa.

National Museum on the left, contained the famous fossilized bones of the early hominid Lucy.

Red Terror Martyr’s Museum on the right, established in 2010 as a memorial to those who died during the Red Terror 1977 & 1978 under the Derg government. It’s not a pleasant visit, the things people can do to another human being.

Oof that’s a lot to digest on the way out

Cumbi, losing light

Didesa river, well basin now. It’s still empty on Google maps and Bing, showing a construction site

No clue where the lake polygon comes from, maybe a prediction?

A bit of digging shows it as the Arjo Didessa Dam, commissioned U/C, last known info a study about the effects of the dam and an article about the problems with funding stalling the progress. FS2020 is ahead of the curve.

Last stop today Abajifar Airport in Jimma, the coffee production center of Ethiopia