External camera - changing the distance of external camera from aircraft

One of the most frustrating things in FS2020 for me is that you cannot move the camera away externally without zoom distortion. This is possible in FSX and X Plane. The plane is just to big and if you zoom in or out the view gets distorted. It isnt possible to see the correct speed or the distance to objects.

Please give us the option to move the camera without that zooming effect - like in cockpit or drone view.

Yes, the distortion really looks strange, please give an option to deactivate it!

1 Like

Yeah it does and it could be an easy fix

1 Like

This is a big but simple to implement thing still missing. Would really appreciate if this was added. On most planes the camera distance from the plane is excessive.

1 Like

In drone view mode push C to control the plane.

Thanks, I’ll try that the next time I play. But it doesn’t sound ideal. We should be able to control the camera distance without switching to another camera mode.

The inability of FOV control is by far my most frustrating issue with this otherwise brilliant FS.
I absolutely love MSFS 2020 but, what I wish for, more than anything else, is FOV control. Just like we had in FSX. I was able to move away from my (external) plane without distorting the view
 Plain and simple.

4 Likes

Yes! The same!

Yes, they need to include a translate view forward/back etc like with the rest of the cameras.

1 Like

not sure why they cant fix this!

I don’t think you actually move away the camera but rather you zoom out, known as FOV increasing. To move away you need to use the drone camera that can actually move and zoom (change FOV). As you change the amount of stuff that fits inside same screen space you will get some distorsions. Some are correctable
 the is a setting in Options I think for that. Not sure how much it works but
 maybe some more tweaking on it is necessary.
Also in the option file there are some hidden settings for camera view that can remove some of the ugliness of the image. I removed the blur and color fringing effect mostly present in hangar view.
Usually the file is located at:
C:\Users\yourUSRname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt
make sure you make a backup and edit it with a good program like notepadd++ and not Wordpad or other garbage that might change UTF etc.

Hi what I do is in drone mode increase the zoom rate in the camera menu

A very basic, common-sense functionality that’s still missing months after the game released. I don’t understand this either. Even the cockpit view has the ability to move in & out without zooming, why doesn’t the external cam??

1 Like

This is also causing a severe motion sickness. I was asking my self that why the external camera movement with mouse is causing the whole world and the plane like an under water effect. I see now this is called zoom distortion. It makes me sick after few camera changes in free external camera mode by moving the mouse.

I wish someone from the development read this and add an option to disable that effect.

1 Like

I eventually got my key bindings sorted out and learned how to use the drone mode to get closer to the plane in mid-flight and still be able to fly it. It’s OK, but far from an ideal solution. The main reason is that the drone doesn’t stay in a fixed position in relation to the plane, and the separate translate & rotate functionality makes it somewhat of a pain to use. The external cam would work much better if it had the ability to get closer and farther.

Some guy posted in the forum that this fisheye effect increases fps. Because what is rendered far in the center of the view is greatly reduced. Asobo will gain in fps loss. In X Plane this effect is absent and fps is lost with a weak graphics card. Vulkan came into use and it has improved a bit because there is a reduction in rendering of objects to a certain distance from the plane’s position. There is no such thing here, so they use fisheye.

The external camera is always at a fixed distance from the aircraft, and only has a control over the field of view/zoom. It would be very much improved by being able to change the distance of the camera from the plane rather than just the FoV.

Currently this requires the drone camera which is completely impractical to use while flying.

3 Likes

Well said.

2 Likes

this is my #1 feature request for FS right now!

1 Like

I have just bought FS 2020 and the first thing I am traying to tweak is this feature. I have register this forum to ask for the external distance camera option (not zoom). Thanks.

By the way, I am also trying to find a way to toggle the external camera HUD information, and I can not find it. The HUD information is very intrusive, but I need it sometimes, so the soultion is a toggle key (I can not enter the menu every time I need to see the information, that is insane).

3 Likes