External camera - changing the distance of external camera from aircraft

The external camera has a terrible elongation effect in the default position. You can reduce it by zooming in, but this only masks this effect. It is necessary to be able to transfer the external camera by axis, in this case - back from the aircraft a few meters, and then bring the zoom closer for convenience. With this camera position, this effect will not occur. In addition, this effect distorts the true movement speed, which can also interfere. FSX had this BANAL ability to move the outer circular camera back from aircraft. There is no need to answer that it is POSSIBLE to do this in the DRONE CAMERA. Yes, you can, but that’s completely different. I just really want to add the ability to SIMPLY move the EXTERNAL CIRCULAR camera position back from the aircraft, without using just one zoom, as it is now. It is also necessary to add the ability to save the changed position of this EXTERNAL CAMERA by default, so that when you RESET it, it does not reset the distance and zoom from the aircraft again how it was before changing. It is very uncomfortable! It is also desirable to add enabling / disabling the function of strict fixation to the tail without the effect of the camera floating (in the external camera mode). Thank you for the opportunity to leave your wishes, I hope that they understood me correctly!

External camera distance to airplane is fixed, if you want a broader view the only chance is zomming out, which distorts view badly. It could be solved with the possibility to move the camera closer or further from the plane.

1 Like

Yes, it doesn’t work in external view.

But I think you can use the drone cam to get closer to the aircraft without zooming in the whole image.

1 Like

I thought the same and configured the hat switch to work in drone camera, but found that aircraft controls are locked in drone camera, so you can’t fly or correct the airplane from that view. At least for me. Thanks.

I really hope they listen to you. This simulator is great, but a few bad decisions can ruin everything. The commands available for the drone are more than double the ones to adjust the external view. That is, the priority has been given to the possibility to post beautiful screen shots on the internet instead of making it easier to fly the aircraft.

5 Likes

Exactly! Just add the axis moving ability from dron to external with ability to save new pos. as default, and it all!

3 Likes

It is necessary to be able to TRANSFER THE EXTERNAL CAMERA BY AXIS, in this case - back from the aircraft a few meters, and then bring the zoom closer for convenience

What you’re suggesting here is a dolly zoom like in Jaws where they zoom in on Roy’s face and the background moves further away (moving the camera forward while zooming out). What we’re seeing in game is moving them together rather than against each other (moving the camera forward while zooming in), so while the plane gets bigger the background also pulls closer. While I think it’s an interesting effect for a YouTube video, I’d rather the external camera simply move instead of zooming and have a decent FOV to avoid fisheye distortion.

Jaws dolly zoom

3 Likes

Sorry, I’m trying to summarize in my own words to see if I understand.
There are two adjustments:
1 increase the zoom on the plane (available now): this has an impact on everything. On the screen the plane becomes bigger and in focus, while the landscape behind becomes bigger but blurred.
2 change the position of the camera along the line connecting your eye to the airplane: the airplane becomes bigger and in focus, while the landscape behind it doesn’t change, at least as long as the ground is much further away than the plane.
The number 1 is the only adjustment available today. I would also like to have the possibility number 2.
This is because when I land, if I change the zoom, I don’t see the runway well anymore and I lose the perception of the distance.

2 Likes

"I’d rather the external camera simply move instead of zooming and have a decent FOV to avoid fisheye distortion. "
Yes, that is what I would like to have!

4 Likes

It seems there is no way to adjust the eyepoint distance from the aircraft in exterior view while maintaining the zoom level at an undistorted isometric perspective. I find this to be very annoying.

I agree that the Drone / Showcase mode is very customizable and works very well. However, having to relentlessly switch back and forth [C] from drone [controller], to aircraft, [joystick, throttle, and pedals] is too much of a workout.

Implimenting CHASE DISTANCE in the EXTERIOR mode would not require the use of the Showcase mode unless you are recording video or exploring surroundings while not flying an aircraft.

2 Likes

I second this request. I can’t believe we still revert to zooming in both external and internal views in P3D and MS all FS.

1 Like

I totally agree…

4 Likes

I’m afraid it will be a long time before the developers wake up. In the meantime many people will get tired of looking for a remedy and go back to their previous simulator. If I recall correctly in fsx there were some camera configuration files that could be edited. If we could find them we could solve it ourselves.

4 Likes

You can already if you want. Didn’t take much of a search in these forums to be honest.

I’m sure you could use a similar approach to change the external camera if you really feel the need. Me? I just use the already brilliant camera system

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I don’t know if I can get what I’m looking for, but you have opened up a world of solutions for me. I could have got there on my own, but I can only do my hobbies at night.
And of course I understand that you like the new solution, obviously it has some advantages that I will try to discover.

2 Likes

I finally found a decent flyby view.
It’s not perfect, but I will never use the FS external view again.
For those who are interested: use the method mentioned above by gordongreig to define some views behind the plane. I set button 1 as the inside view, 2 to -20 from the plane and 3 to -30. Just create three entries in the file cameras.cfg with the ctrl+alt+n keys, then correct the penultimate line of the view. For example InitialXyz= 0.0, 0.0, -20.00 for the “2” view. You can call the three views in flight with alt+n. The view doesn’t allow you to rotate around the plane, as I think it was in FSX, but if you try it, you’ll see how much more realistic the flight is.
Check this other link:

1 Like

Yes, I’d also like to have the ability to set both zoom and distance for the external camera. I don’t like the extreme wide-angle distortion when zooming out, I’d much prefer to move back from the plane instead.

3 Likes

So brilliant it hasn’t even got a basic flyby view lol! :joy:

Woo hoo! But it does have a load of other views that your other favourite sims don’t. So obviously they are brilliant too.

And this could easily be set in the camera options, and with bindable key shortcuts.