[HOW-TO] Cockpit camera outside the cockpit

Hello Community,
How about a cockpit camera outside the cockpit that you can control?

Advantages: you have a camera mounted on the aircraft, which you can control like in the cockpit, during the flight it is wonderful, and the best thing is you can still control your aircraft.
I think Track-IR users will appreciate it.

Go to the folder: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SimObjects\Airplanes

Here you will find planes for which a camera position has already been saved. If the folder “Airplanes” is empty, there is no saving, no problem.
As soon as you save a position in the cockpit, a folder is created here.

If the folder is not empty we make a backup, zip all folders.

Let’s go.
I’m assuming an empty folder and I’m using TBM 930 in my example.

1. Start MSFS and go to the cockpit.
  2. Move the camera anywhere, hold Ctrl + Alt and press 0-9, Camera position is saved, remember the key (we need it).
  3. Open the folder Airplanes, then Asobo_TBM930 there we find CAMERAS.CFG
CAMERAS.CFG

[VERSION]
major=1
minor=0
[CAMERADEFINITION.0]
Title=“1”
Guid=“{3E9D7DDF-5935-4D0D-BE88-E3E8AA26C946}”
UITitle=“”
Description=“”
Origin=“Virtual Cockpit”
Track=“None”
TargetCategory=“None”
ClipMode=“Normal”
SnapPbhAdjust=“None”
PanPbhAdjust=“None”
XyzAdjust=0
ShowAxis=“NO”
AllowZoom=1
InitialZoom=0.297068
SmoothZoomTime=5
BoundingBoxRadius=0.1
ShowWeather=0
CycleHidden=0
CycleHideRadius=0
ShowPanel=0
MomentumEffect=0
ShowLensFlare=0
PanPbhReturn=0
SnapPbhReturn=1
InstancedBased=0
NoSortTitle=0
NodesToHide=“”
Transition=0

Category=“Cockpit”
SubCategory=“Custom”
SubCategoryItem=“None”
InitialXyz= 0.077562, 0.218672, -1.081527
InitialPbh= -7.893982, -0.005147, -0.106804

second last line: InitialXyz = 0.077562, 0.218672, -1.081527
replace first zero with -5
second last line: InitialXyz = -5.077562, 0.218672, -1.081527
Save file.

Note: As soon as you change the CAMERAS.CFG, the simulator must be restarted.

Note: several camera positions are also saved there.

[CAMERADEFINITION.0]
Title=“1”
[CAMERADEFINITION.1]
Title=“2”
but you know what to do.

1. I’ll see you in the cockpit, did you notice the button 0-9?
    Ready for surprise? Press Alt + your key
  2. Bring the camera into position (Left, Right, Up, Down) and save Ctrl + Alt your key (can be the same key).

Have fun, see you in the air. :+1:t2:

I apologize for youtube’s awful codec.

more screenshots

DISCUSSION

31 Likes

This video supplements the MSFS instructions. I used it and works well.

(1) [MSFS] Creating CUSTOM WING VIEWS in Microsoft Flight Simulator|Drawyah - YouTube

Here are some examples as I like to replay my flight from a passenger perspective and enjoy the scenery.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m looking to find out How I can make custom GUID’s in camera.cfg file. In FSX I remember I could make custom views in the camera.cfg file by adding GUID’s to the existing cameradefinition.0, cameradefinition.1, etc.

I have a GUID generator and would like to know how to implement this in MSFS 2020. I know how to create custom views by modifying the InitialXyz line and then restarting the simulator and opening the aircraft and it takes me to the outside view then. But, when I create my custom views using the CNTRL+ALT keys to save them in 1-0 when I go back into the camera.cfg file it doesn’t show any new created GUID’s in the cameradefinition section.

So…whenever I have to reload an aicraft, ex. reloading msfs or just the aircraft itself I have to go through the process again of creating my custom views that I lost when I had to delete the aircraft and start over again. At least with the created cameradefinition in creating GUID’s I can save what I’ve created and reload the camera.cfg from the one I saved. That’s what I want to do in msfs 2020, but don’t have a clue on how to do that to create the different camerdefinition sections, I can create the custom GUID’s but how do I create the rest of the section (lines) needed to tell the simulator on angle, distance and all that stuff???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.