Extreme stutters and freezes during approach after WU4

I guess nothing from the 6gb World update is the issue, but something from the 17/22gb sim update… That one cant be deinstalled

Just wanted to add that I’ve been experiencing stutters as well since WU4. My FPS are good. It is linked to being near other players. It happens on group flights or in busy airports. I didn’t have this issue before WU4 and tbh it’s getting really annoying. The only workaround is to turn off online (which is a pretty ridiculous thing to have to do). When I say “stutters”, I mean it will run smoothly for about 1 second, pause for half a second, run for 1 more second, pause for another half a second and so on. Like I said, ny framerates are decent. Between 30-40 in most busy airports. My internet connection is good too. They introduce a bug in WU4 and it’s causing serious issues. And it’s pretty apparent that it’s also affecting many others.

1 Like

So what is the little setting? Give specifics, your comment and others like yours are useless for the rest of the community when you leave out details for what fixed the FPS/stutter problems for you. It’s no better than when the 1st level IT Helpdesk who asks, “Did you try rebooting the computer?”.

I’ve found that people who make such useless comments have little to no experience in dealing with troubleshooting and providing a real solution. I’ve encountered many self-proclaimed experts throughout my career. They are easy to identify when asked for specific details. Instead of dazzling people with brilliance, they baffle them with BS.

A person who truly has knowledge, skills and abilities can explain it in layman’s terms. On behalf of most people in this forum who aren’t tech savvy give specific details and procedures that help resolve problems.

Simply stating, “I fixed the FPS/Stuttering problem and now getting 40-60 FPS.” Good for you, now what about the rest of us?

TCP packet loss (in my case)

Yes this was my experience as well, having decent framerate but still stutters in some areas.

After a good day of testing i found out that for me it had all to do with tcp packet loss in busy multiplayer areas (like the new ehrd ap)

Switching servers manually, port trigger and replacing an (too) old cat5 utp cable did the trick and without having to turn off MP (which did the trick in the first place) i can enjoy the full experience again.

Just sharing hoping it might help someone getting a stutter free experience as well…

Frame rate is decent now with WU4 compared to before. But now (maybe after the hot fix, I dont remember) I get these semingly random 1-3 second freezes. Other than that my frame rate is good now. Never had the freezes before.

In normal msfs flight I only get 40-50% usage out of the CPU. Interestingly when I have task manager open on my other screen I can see that when those freezes happen my CPU and Memory usage go down (as if the game ‘died’ for a second). I never see a spike in usage as if it’s struggling to compute something. Navigating the menu is this but even worse. It’s like every other time I click something it freezes, but yet again usage never spikes, it does the opposite. It’s not a hardware problem either. Other demanding games do fine and my temps are good (monitoring via Core Temp).

As an interesing side effect of this. I noticed that ever since this freezing started, I cant run spotify alongside the sim anymore whilst I fly. I’ll start a song and get a few seconds into it but then when msfs starts freezing I get hit with “sorry, spotify can’t play this right now”.

Really hope this gets fixed.

-also yes, I always have multiplayer set to offline and have AI off. It’s not online thats causing it on my side.

I should note my specs:

CPU
• i7-8700K 3.7-4.7ghz (OC’d to 4.8ghz)

MOTHERBOARD
• GIGABYTE Z390 UD

RAM
• Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16gb) DDR4 3200mhz

GFX CARD
• GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 OC, 8GB

Could be that msfs isnt responding well to OC’d systems like some have suggested.

1 Like

Hi all,
If you are noticing this issue while having multiplayer on and/or custom liveries, please use this topic:

[BUG LOGGED] Multiplayer Stuttering after world update - Liveries Bug report - Bugs & Issues / Online Services & Activities - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

That topic has been pushed up the developers. Thank you!

1 Like

I wasn’t aware to be a helpdesk that has obligations to reply with detailed descriptions until you are pleased…
That’s like the difference between school and university: In the first they teach you the alphabet, in the second one you get the topic and some hints and then… you have to research by yourself! Why should everyone should chew the same topics again and again, just because some folks are not willing to use the forum’s search.
I hinted you to ease your cpu limitation. How it’s done? Many topics have been written on this and it’s just a few clicks away.

And honestly, why don’t you use the word “please” if you request something? I really don’t like the tone youre using in your reply. It’s demanding and rude.

:blue_heart:

In terms of the liveries and multiplayer bug, please vote here → [BUG LOGGED] Multiplayer Stuttering after world update - Liveries Bug report - #257 by b3lt3r6709

We need to push it centrally so it becomes even more visible, also within the dev update snapshot.

It’s not just multiplayer, I turned AI traffic on today and tried to complete a flight but the stuttering made it unplayable. Once turning AI off, the stuttering stops. When I turn multiplayer on I get the same extreme stuttering as well

I also noticed the stuttering starts on approach when the ATC begins to speak regarding approach vectors.

yes i guess this has to do with Azure. maybe changing voices from azure to standard will help, but i dont know if it’s worth the horrible voices

Seems to be back again since yesterday. Tried 2 long flights (EDDH - RTJJ and RTJJ - VCBI)
Both ended in extrem stuttering and no approach was possible. The ingame clock differed by one hour in the end, before I hit Alt f4.

Yesterday it happened with Mulitplayers on, the 2nd flight was only with live traffic. Will try another one without traffic next.

I’m getting severe performance degradation on the Discover Denmark bush flight. Fps keeps going down, stuttering increasing while memory use keeps climbing.

I had the same problem before on the Pyrenees bush trip

Normally commit stays below 18GB and working memory below 8GB (high settings, terrain detail 100) After a reload in the Pyrenees the rest of that trip went fine. This is the last leg of the Denmark trip, going to land at 2 to 5 fps again…

Completed, stutter fest

Changes I made recently is turn multiplayer on, although there is no multiplayer in bush trips. I’ll turn it off again, see if it makes a difference. Finland up next. Oh and I enabled the VFR map again for the bush flights. Had it disabled before.

I dont know, I get this weird performance quite a bit, the net will be pulling down 20+mbps, the cpu and gpu are where they usually run at, but the fps will just not be there. Restart the sim and try again 2 of 3 times and eventually it will work.

Ive noticed that when you make your initial connection the network traffic will talk to 10+ flightsimulator.com connections and settle in to the 4 or 5 that run when everything is loaded. I wonder if those 10 connections in the beginning could be hook us up with the ‘best’ connection and that detection is at fault and one or more of the final 4 or 5 could actually be slow. Who knows probably never us.

Looking at your screen captures in the DISK section, it shows c:\paging being used. Windows moves parts of ram to the paging file as real memory starts filling up. If MSFS needs something on the paging file, it has to have Windows retrieve it and put it back into real memory. This kills FPS! You should avoid filling memory so much that Windows starts moving memory to and from the paging file.

The biggest demand for real memory are the graphics detail files used by MSFS. If possible, decrease your graphics settings especially LOD.

One way to stop using the paging file is to exit MSFS and reboot Windows. The fresh start clears out memory. Try not to let memory get too full. Hopefully the upcoming update on the 27th should help improve performance.

I do all that, and have 32GB physical ram. This is not normal behavior of the sim. With the same settings (high, terrain detail 100) I normally run at up to 18 GB commit and 8 GB active, in PG areas. This is just over regular scenery, Denmark doesn’t even have any elevation to speak of.

Yep it needs the pagefile when the sim starts committing over 30GB of ram, but Windows will park the unused memory in the page file much sooner. In the last screenshot it has 38GB in use, yet 51% of physical ram is still free, meaning well over 22 GB of FS2020 must be in the pagefile. No wonder it slows down, but how do you change that behavior.

Is FS2020 fragmenting memory? Page faults (retrieving memory from page file) is still very low, higher in the pyrenees where it had a ridiculous 22GB of active memory going. (I’ve seen it much worse though while stress testing london PG with 16GB ram and terrain detail 200, up to 230 page faults per sec)

I get this behavior as well over heavily forested PG Areas, where the sim draws auto gen trees over the PG area trees. Memory keeps increasing, FPS goes down. Fine after a restart, but will come back. In that case temporarily reducing terrain detail to 10 (and/or pausing for a while) lets the sim sort itself out and memory goes back to normal. This did not work in Denmark, while flying much slower as well. It recovered a little but commit memory didn’t really go down.

Finland up next, this is what it looks like at the start, 16GB commit, normal

Windows starts moving memory to the paging file around 50-60% memory utilization. This is an internal operation by Windows and not user configurable. Windows looks at potential memory requests by running programs. If it thinks MSFS is going to need 6 GB chunk of memory, it will move enough memory to the paging file to accommodate the potential 6 GB request.

It really doesn’t matter if MSFS is fragmenting memory. It is Windows responsibility to manage memory. Page faults are not necessarily bad. The key measurement to watch is Hard Page Faults. This is a count of Windows having disk activity to process a page fault.

Hopefully the upcoming July 27th update addresses these memory problems. I just landed at KJFK and seeing about 7 FPS while taxiing because MSFS is redndering every object at KFJK and the paging file is very active.

The only thing I can suggest is to have a repeatable flight plan preferably with a very large airport and a very large city. I use IFR KEWR to KJFK ILS 31. Fly it several times to see if the FPS is similar for the flights. The FPS might be horrible or it may start fine but deteriorate. These flights give you a “baseline” performance. Fly these flights again after July 27th to determine any FPS changes. The baseline is a helpful measure if you tweak or tune your graphics settings or if you enable/disable AI or Real-World traffic.

1 Like