EXTREMELY slow download speeds in content manager

TCP connections can take a few seconds to get up to speed. There are minimum, and maximum TCP transmission sizes, and additionally you can play around with the TCP window size.

You’ve probably noticed sometimes how a transfer will start off slow, then over a short period of time you will see this ramp up in speed if the connection is stable enough.

Many things can affect transmission rates, like a poor connection leading to lots of errors, and re-transmissions. The other thing that can badly affect it is sending lots of little files rather than one big one.

If you had 1000 files to transmit, it would be faster to send a single archive with them all inside, as there is only one file to open, read, and transmit. If you send them each individually that is a lot of overhead, as each file is opened, read then transmitted.

2 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

i have 950mbit download connection but downloadspeeds in msfs are very slow

Provide your location:

The Netherlands

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Good point! :+1:

This is a reminder that this thread is meant to serve as a bug topic, not a discussion topic. If you are experiencing this issue, please feel free to report your findings using the following template and include your location. In addition, if you find workarounds or processes that helped resolve the bug for you, please feel free to post about it, as it may help the team’s investigation.

Outside of this, please use https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/extremely-slow-and-fluctuating-download-speeds/597907 to discuss this bug with others.

All other posts will be removed.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Provide extra information (including location) to complete the original description of the issue:

1 Like

City Update 6 today: there was an additional 2,7GB Update via Content Manger, obviously a few large POI-fspackage-files. Contrary to my experience in the last two years or so all *.fspackage files loaded with my maximum Bandwidth speed of 100Mbit/s. I’m located in Northern Germany
No slow starting with 2MB/s, full speed from the beginning.
I hope that’s a trend.

I had the same today. Fast from the start. No slowdowns at the start of each package as it downloaded.

My line speed is 900MB, but the fastest I got from FS was 300MB. However, I am not complaining about that. I’ll take that over the <2MB I have been experiencing over the past year or so.

2 Likes

Yep, mine downloaded pretty quick too. In fact the progress bar was at about 75% before the download started, so I’m not sure what that’s all about.

I still haven’t installed the actual content in the content manager though. We shall see what happens.

Did the updates now as well.

• main package → full speed all the way
  • conent manager updates and city update → full speed all the way

Lets hope, that the CDN issue is solved now, and not just a one shot.

Thanks to Asobo / Microsoft
Eric

1 Like

Yes

Provide extra information (including location) to complete the original description of the issue:

This is miserable. The mandatory update before the main menu went better than usual (but still not great) but the content manager downloads have been the worst I’ve seen the speeds. I’m located in Nairobi. With VPN and without VPN I am getting 0.18mbps. There have been updates where the speeds would seemingly randomly pick up and drop. This time this has not happened. All other downloaders like Steam and Epic Games don’t have any problem at all.

Content Manager:

Speed tests:

Screenshot 2024-04-17 203523

Screenshot 2024-04-17 203543

Screenshot 2024-04-17 203555

After months (years?) of issues with the low download speeds in the MFSF content manager, this City Update southwest-germany was also the first to achieve constant very high (up to max) download speeds for me (250Mbit).
Located in one of the city update cities :wink:

1 Like

Well. Not full Speed here but this could be normal Internet Speed Fluctuation. But it is WAY (!) better than before. The best thing is that the speed is not slowing down anymore with the change to the next package part. Well done Asobo/MS :slight_smile:

the 2-3mbit problem seems solved for my case ( location germany ). Since a while I get back the normal download speeds of 100…250mbit ( max of my connection ). For me its fine if msfs-servers can offer all users at least a constant 100mbit download rate.

3 Likes

Today, downloading an airport from the marketplace on a cloud instance in Oregon that regularly pulls 2 Gb/sec from the internet:

I don’t expect my interface to be saturated, but this is roughly 3.5% bandwidth utilization. Not good.

In today’s Dev Q&A (April 24, 2024) Jorg asked for feedback about this issue. I have noticed much better content manager download speeds since, I think, February. Now and then as part of testing I re-install MSFS on Xbox. The base sim (which comes from the Xbox Store) is about 130 GB and downloads for me in about an hour (urban center in Canada with gigabit internet).

The World Updates in the MSFS Content Manager used to take me over 1 day to download at an average speed of 5-10 kbps… Now it is relatively fast, I can download the current 16 World Updates in a few hours.

That said, sometimes a download will refuse to download at more that 5 kbps, but it is less often, and I suppose it is a CDN cache issue.

Since Jorg asked for feedback, I too would like to report that download speeds seem much improved lately. southeastern USA on X Box X.

and this seems the best place to say this: If Asobo or MS wants specific feedback, create a poll and ask… otherwise we just go on hoping its not a fluke that any given issue is fixed. I really feel we have communication issues that need to be solved.

1 Like

If I recall correctly… there was some mention in a recent Dev Q&A (I think, I can’t seem to find it now…) that they discovered when a download was requested via Content Manager, it was creating multiple requests in some kind of loop when it should have only been 1 request, overwhelming the CDN or the server. Something to that effect.

1 Like

I was sure I remembered hearing more about it so maybe this isnt the only clip.

Just chipping in, issue seems to have been resolved for me too, getting decent speeds with anything I’ve had to update recently, I’m based on the east coast of Ireland.

Yes, the download speeds of the FS client has dramatically increased. The speeds of the Content Manager not so much. I downloaded two dlc last night via content manager and there came down at 20-30 MBits/s. My internet speed is 900 Mbps. So, still very slow but much better than it has been.

Speeds are still super slow for me. Maybe more unstable than slow. I’m on 2.5GB connection and constantly see Please wait… Every second or two it will flash a speed like 39.98Mbps and then go back to Please wait… I’ve tried every solution in all the land of Google. This system they have is no good. Hope they see this and fix it