EXTREMELY slow download speeds in content manager

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Provide your location:

Budapest, Hungary

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

Yes

As described

Provide your location:

UK

bug since June 2023 won’t hold my breath on this ever being resolved.

2 Likes

Yes

As described

Provide your location:

Turkey

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: EXTREMELY slow and fluctuating download speeds

Yes

Downloading 1.37.5.0. It started out all right, with speeds between 70 and 120 MBit/s, but the part 14/14 takes forever to load. Went up to 270MBit/s at the end of fspackage.005, but at the start of fspackage.006 sank back down to 2,5 MBit/s. There goes my much looked forward to flying evening. I wanted to prepare for my irl-flight tomorrow. This is not Okay! This is actually my one and only frustration with the sim at the moment. Unbelievable that such an elementary thing cannot be solved by the powers that Microsoft can wield…
:rage:

Provide your location:

Netherlands

1 Like

Yes

Fluctuations of download speed from 2-3 MBits/sec (ca. 1-3 Min) to 200 Mbits/sec (only 10 sec.)…repetitive

Provide your location:

Germany

Yes

Download speed from 1-3 MBits/sec for a couple of mintuets afterwards ramping up 100Mbit. Repeating...

Provide your location:

Germany

Additional thoughts:
Please have a look into the released versions of the local agent of Microsoft Dynamics 365

You will see, that they introduced a new local agent (Version 3.2.0 in March 2023)
The first reports here about slow speed seems to be from June 2023.

The new local agent is built to use the new azure infrastructure in the background.

Why I write this?

In our company, we use the local agent for a different Microsoft product, but we are unable to use version 3.2.0 and newer because of similar issues like here.

The local agent downloads the deployable package but it will not finish in the configured time.

See here a part of the json config:

"connectionLimit": {
					"value": "10"
				},
			    "parallelOperations": {
			    },
			    "initialDownloadBlockSizeMB": {
				  "value": "8"
			    },
			    "downloadBlockSizeMB": {
				  "value": "48"
			    },
				"downloadBlocksPerCheckpoint": {
					"value": "2"
				},
			    "retryMode": {
				  "value": "Exponential"
			    },
			    "maxRetries": {
				  "value": "3"
			    },
			    "retryDelayInSeconds": {
			    },
			    "blobSingleRequestTimeoutInSeconds": {
				  "value": "60"
			    },
			    "networkTimeoutInMinutes": {
				  "value": "60"
                }

I tried to find a similar configuration in the installation folder of MSFS but I dont found anything like this.

The interesting part is:
We have to use the local agent in version 3.1.0, the deployable package will be downloaded within 5 minutes.
Wit any newer local agent version, it is impossible to download the file with all the same background systems.

We already had several Microsoft Premiere support tickets regarding the download issue, but event MS is unable to provide a working conifg.

We need to gamble with the config values and I wasted already several hours, with no wokring configruation with any newer agent as 3.1.0

My question to the Azure experts from Asobo/MS.

Do we have here a similar szenario like with the local agent Microsoft Dynamics 365?
Is it possible to play around with similar values like in the json file above?

BR
Eric

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: EXTREMELY slow and fluctuating download speeds

Not any more
Updating to 1.37.8.0 went quite smooth!

Provide your location:

Netherlands

The update went smooth for me as well:

But then I tried to download a random content from ingame content manager:
Same issue:

That usually seems to be the way it goes. Content downloaded as the sim boots is quicker than that from “My Content”.

1 Like

Could be, last time as I tested, I dont had a pending main update.
It would be nice if someone from Asobo could answer to my qustions regading the local agent. :confused:

BR
Eric

Platform: Steam
Max download speed: 38 Mb/s

Like many others here I suffer with fluctuating download speeds. It is very digital i.e. the full 38 Mb/s or about 0.08 Mb/s.

I’d still rather you sorted the transponder in the steam instruments PC-6. sPK

1 Like

Down load speeds for updated content is appalling the Wilga and PHNL airport updates from the in game store 4.8 gb and it’s over 3 hours so far. Rest of my internet connections are unchanged. The down load speeds are up and down from 3.0 mbs to 24 mbs I have little hope for 2024 if it’s all cloud based.

Not everyone has full fibre connections as it’s not available everywhere so those who don’t have fibre or can’t afford the costs suffer.

1 Like

Hi all,
Moderators - I’ll start with a request for you please. Would you please ask CMs to investigate if the bug we used to have that caused very slow downloads to keeping looping over and over without finishing has returned?

I’ve been trying to download the update for my PMDG 737 and it is incredibly slow (1.x Mbits/s), followed by very briefly rising to ~50 Mbits/s before falling to zero and then restarting the download from scratch.

More broadly, like many here, I can’t express how frustrating this download speed bug has become. To my knowledge, it has existed since at least June 2023. After 10+ months, in my view we are now well beyond a reasonable period of time to diagnose such an impactful bug and implement a lasting resolution.

I apologise if this post appears rather negative, however given the long period of time this situation has been endured, I hope it can be forgiven.

Thanks.

5 Likes

I need to start a reinstall of the sim, expecting it to take about 3 days on 250Mbit connection.
Let’s face it, we have to accept that they will not fix this anymore in FS2020. It has been “under investigation” like forever now.
I’m very sure the root cause is known by now and was caused by some measures in the background (probably a cost-reduction topic), and they are not willing (or able) to switch back.
Never seen such a frustrating “bug” (or rather conceptional failure) in any game ever!
Let’s hope FS2024 doesn’t take too long to release…

1 Like

I have full fibre, and I still get these data slow downs. :weary:

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s almost certainly CDN/routing problems, where you end up downloading from a server whose connection between it and you is badly oversaturated.

Having a faster pipe on your end doesn’t help – it’s like filling up a kiddie pool versus an olympic sized swimming pool, if you’re doing both with a garden hose it’s not gonna add water faster just cause the pool’s bigger. :smiley:

1 Like

If that is the case, why is it that the download rate drops to the floor each time it starts downloading a new package (of which there can be several) in each dlc?

New lookup, new connection, everything starts over?

1 Like