F/A-18 mod obstructive OLS when in VR

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No (the bug is with a mod)

Brief description of the issue:

This pertains only to the F/A-18 E/F Super Warrior mod by TouchingCloud. When in VR, the Optical Landing System depiction on the Heads Up Display obstructs the pilot’s view. It remains in the center of the pilot’s field of vision and is large enough to completely obscure view of the landing area.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

The first screenshot is from a monitor with normal OLS display circled in red. The second picture is in VR and you can see how much larger the display is and that it is positioned in the middle of where I am (trying to) look – in this case at the aircraft carrier ahead.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Occurs on every carrier landing if the plane is correctly configured with arresting hook deployed.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

HP G2 Reverb VR headset

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

First installed the mod when SU10 was current and the issue appeared from first use. It has persisted since.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Topic moved into Community Support for assistance.

The Bug Reports category is for the base sim (no addons/mods).

Does no one else have this issue?

A lot of people complained about the unwanted text displayed on the HUD / HMD (a known issue per the developer). This, however, has a solution – posted in the comments section for this aircraft on the flightsim.to website – which is why you don’t see that problem in my screenshots.

Regarding my issue, however, I’ve seen nada. So, I posted this topic to either find a fix or know for sure that I AM THE ONLY SIMMER IN THE WORLD EXPERIENCING IT :crazy_face:

More than 85,000 downloads of this mod. Must be someone :thinking: Help.

EDIT: I misread your initial post. Updated it.

Hello,

I have this issue as well. Exactly what you describe. I have a Reverb G2 as well.

I have just installed Super Warrior mod as well.

The bug might occur only with another mod or a specific VR configuration. Maybe it comes from a bad interaction with OpenXR Toolkit? I’ll try without it.

Did you find a solution?

In the worst case we should at least be able to simply remove this overlay which is by the way neither pretty nor so usefull.

Thanks so much for replying! It has been a month so I really thought I was the only one with this blight.

No, I haven’t found a solution. If you find one pleeeease post it!

Happy (carrier) landings!

EDIT: this is wrong. It has nothing to do with HDS carrier. Please read next messages.

OK, found it. That had nothing to do with Super Warrior. It’s an artifact from Hard Deck Simulation carrier, which is a ■■■■■■ payware that I bought in the past, and I guess you did as well.

Just remove it, install these packages:

• touchingcloud-aircraft-fa18e-sw
  • pbk-carrier-pz61
  • pbk-carrier-crew

And everything is going to be fine. The mod is just amazing BTW.

Interesting. I don’t have Hard Deck Simulation.

I do have the other three, plus:

touchingcloud-test-moving-carrier
and
touchingcloud-test-static-carrier

I’ll begin with the latter two and see what happens.

Great to know that it can be fixed.

Thank you.

OK… I am very confused.

I suggest you move all your community packages to a Community.disable folder and reactivate them by moving them one by one in Community.

Start with just touchingcloud-aircraft-fa18e-sw and pbk-carrier-pz61, which is the bare minimum for carrier landing (you won’t have arresting cable but you can touch and go).

Then add other packages.

Ok, so after a lot of testing (and sim restarts) I have found the following:

With just the aircraft and…

pbk-carrier-pz61 - the giant OLS did not appear (I did 4 touch and goes)

pbk-carrier-pz61 and pbk-carrier-crew - only appeared after some landings and only when the aircraft was already stopped on the deck (while sitting there I could make it appear/disappear with tailhook extention/retraction)

touchingcloud-test-moving and/or test-static carriers - usually appeared during approach.

The fact that it sometimes doesn’t appear is puzzling (and time consuming).

For now I’ll leave the basic three in the folder. I can live without the extra carriers and if it really never materializes until after landing it’s no problem (more testing needed to be sure though… intermittent bugs are a bummer).

I appreciate your help.

I am now facing other issues, display broken, and also an irrelevant message on the HUD that you noted yourself on another thread (and that clearly we don’t see in youtube video from opther players).

I heavily suspect our F18 is broken because we have some â– â– â– â–  remaining in cache somewhere. What I will try next is restart from a fresh MSFS install.

Have you already tried the previously noted fix for the bugged HUD? If not, here are the steps (credit goes to the poster called “Qehwi” on the flightsim.to site):

Go to the packages folder (the one in which your community folder is located) then Official>onestore>Asobo-vcockpits-instruments-fa18>html-ui > pages> VCockpit> instruments>FA18>shared>DDI FA18_DDI_HMD.html

Open the FA18_DDI_HMD.html file with something like notebook and MAKE A COPY OF ITS CONTENTS JUST IN CASE!

Then remove the contents and replace it by copying and pasting the following:

(EDIT) oops, looks like this site won’t allow me to post code, so here is where you can find it (had to type it as seperate lines because the site also doesn’t seem to allow the link):

pastebin
.com/
zeYHDmP3

1 Like

Great! I applied this patch and it works great!

The bad news is that the OLS is back! It had nothing to do with HDS… I was wrong.
The good news is that I found a way to completely get rid of it.

Edit Community\touchingcloud-aircraft-fa18e-sw\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_FA18E_SW\panel\panel.cfg

Then, look for the VCockpit10 section and comment it out completely:

//[VCockpit10]
//size_mm=350,130
//pixel_size=350,130
//texture=$HMS
//hud=1
//render_on_screen = 0.5, 0.1, 0.27, 0.1, 0.5, 0.5, 3
//htmlgauge00=FA18Misc/FLOLSPanel/FLOLSPanel.html, 0,0,350,130

That’s it! No more OLS! Problem solved.

IN case your link disappear and someone needs to fix the boken display issue and can’t find it anywhere else, here is the updated content of the Official\onestore\Asobo-vcockpits-instruments-fa18\html-ui\pages\VCockpit\instruments\FA18\shared\DDI\FA18_DDI_HMD.html file:

<script type="text/html" id="FA18_DDI_HMD">
    <!-- <div class="main-screen hmd-display">
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-1 vert left">U P L K</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-1 vert left2">A L G N</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-3 vert left">U P L K</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-3 vert left2">R E S E T</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-7 line top" id="hmd-clutter-level">NORM</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-11 vert right" id="hmd-brightness">D A Y</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-11 vert right2">B R T</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-12 vert right sk-label-highlight">B L N K</div>

<div class="sk-label sk-label-17 line bottom2">MIDS</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-17 line bottom">SETUP</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-18 line bottom ddi-timer"></div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-19 line bottom2">REJECT</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-19 line bottom">SETUP</div>
        <div class="sk-label sk-label-20 line bottom">ALIGN</div>
    </div> -->
</script>

<script type="text/html" import-script="/Pages/VCockpit/Instruments/FA18/Shared/DDI/FA18_DDI_HMD.js"></script>

Hey, just wanted to check (because I’m not computer savy and don’t know how to code – I just follow other peoples instructions) when you say “comment it out completely” you mean delete it all. So there will be nothing between the [VCockpit09] paragraph and the [VCockpit49] paragraph. Is that correct?

The double slash at the beginning of each line (that you can see in the code I posted) means that the line is “commented”, it’s considered as a comment, so ignored.

But yes, you can also simply remove it. Same thing.

Problem solved :grin:

Checked it with everything back in the community folder too. Works with all carriers.

Thanks for the detective work on the code!