F/A-18 Super Hornet External Lights Don't Work

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No.

Brief description of the issue:

The “Navigation Lights” and “Recognition Lights” on the F/A-18 Super Hornet do not work. No matter where you try to set them on the panel, the knobs don’t turn, they remain in the Off position, and the lights don’t light up on the aircraft. Landing Light and Strobe Light are good, they are unaffected.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Start a flight with the F/A-18 Super Hornet, preferably at night.
  2. Try to set both the Recognition Lights and Navigation Lights to any percentage, and notice the knobs not moving. See the plane in external view.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Xbox Series X with only the default controller.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

1.25.7.0 (Sim Update 9)

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes.
To clarify-It is the Position (A) & Formation (B) Rotary Dials not functioning. See ScreenShot.
Non Functioning also applies to PC.

:+1: WORKAROUND:
Use- Toggle Lights Default “L”. ( Toggles ALL Lights )
Pos/Form Dials will now function and will be set to max and can then be adjusted.
However, after this if you use Exterior Lights Master Switch (C) to off & would like on again, you will have to cycle from OFF to Norm- Twice.

Other fyi:
Strobe 3 position (D) does function.
Strobe Ident Selector (E) does not change pattern (yet).

However, the Interior Light Rotary Dials all seem to function.

From @Raynen : [quote=“ccrbc, post:27, topic:513633”]
Tomorrow tackle the external light controls…
[/quote]
It’s something to do with how the dimmer gets set using the FALSE flag in the apron.flt file. If you change the FALSE flag to 0 for the associated lights everything works normally. Clearly not a viable fix for xbox users though.

since th february OI’m facing this problem also. just starting the flight on the runway is possible use lights beacuse it’s adjusted automatically.

I have the same issue going on. With the F-18 no lights at all.

I’m still having this issue. The knob of formativo loghts and the external light don’t move when I use It. Have months since i have related this. Tipo now, I’m evading to fly with F 18.

1 Like

While it’s not ideal, for the time being until we get a fix just use the workaround of hitting keyboard “L” and the knobs should work after that; no need to avoid flying the plane, if I understand you correctly.

Unfortunately, that’s not going to mean much until they fix the strobe lights to be the actual big red lamps on the outboard sides of the vertical stabs, as that tiny white strobe on the aft tip of the starboard stab is neither realistic nor visible from most aspect angles (it’s supposed to be just a white nav light, not an anti-collision light). (I mean in vanilla MSFS; I tried the Uwa light mod that kind of fixes this, but it had some other side effects, so I turned that one off for the time being.) I’ve already submitted a gripe on this one but haven’t gotten any traction on it.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve had problems with that also went and bought A chatpad for my controller and it work just won’t turn on the light nav light,nor the position lights. Kinda sucks bc when I first bought this game they used to work then all of A sudden they didn’t and it’s been like that since then.

What is going on with the light on the F18 super hornet the outside light don’t work at all. Position lights don’t work nor do the strobe lights. ■■■

1 Like

Feedback logged

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No

Brief description of the issue: Position & Recognition Lights

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: Post SU8

Position & Recognition Light Dials no longer rotate. Lights do not function.
Legacy & Lock modes tested.
Zendesk # 150873

Only is an issue when starting from parking, with engines off. If starting from runway they are all on and working fine, even levels

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

yes

Brief description of the issue:

on the Xbox, there is no option to turn on the recognition and position lights in the F/A 18. When these switches are clicked inside the cockpit, the only option I get is to adjust the brightness for them, that is it.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

When you cold start the F/A 18, you will not be able to turn on your position or recognition lights, only strobe light switch is operable.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

XBOX latest MSFS BETA

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

MSFS Version 1.30.12

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Hi @MellowGold64932
Like most rheostat-type dials, all the way left is “off” and all the right is “full on”. If you move your viewpoint more to the left, you’ll see that they are labelled that way.
Regards

The problem I’m facing is that I can’t rotate or turn on the light switch when cold starting the jet. When I choose to start my flight directly from the runway, I am not having this problem. I’m not sure if this is happening because I’m on the beta or the F/A 18 is actually bugged. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

I’m facing this problem a long time…
Like you described, in cold start the lights don’t turn to on position. I turn the knob but nothing happen. Starting the flight on the runway, it work well.

2 Likes

Another workaround for PC:
open f-18 apron file with a texteditor of your choice and change these lines:

NavLights=False
RecognitionLights=False

to

NavLights=True
RecognitionLights=True

and those knobs should work when you turn on battery power.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, this can’t be done on Xbox.

Yes you’re right, edited that to my post.

The Issue is the same at best I can only get the strobe on the “Dim” setting but thats the only light that works.

As I said Dim setting for the strobe will sometimes work. But this is not consistent, such as a time I activated the strobe to dim then set it to normal at which point the light cut out. From here no matter what action I took I no longer had strobe lights.

This workaround worked for me on Xbox , thanks :+1:t2: