F18 - Auto-Pilot

Anyone tried flying the F18 on autopilot? Flying the plane manually is great. The autopilot however is broken. Plane goes nuts when in autopilot mode…

Yes. I have tried on Series X. Appears to work about 10% of the time. For example, I will be using the radar altitude hold at about 1000ft. Will work for about 2 minutes, maintaining the desired altitude. Then, for no apparent reason, will go into a dive. Same thing with the heading feature. Will work for a few moments, then will go into a sharp bank, never stopping until disengaged. I have no idea what is going on, buggy i assume.

I’m playing the flightsim on PC, same story as you. Obviously something wrong with the autopilot on the F18. Plane rolls, dives until you disengage the autopilot…

Nothing odd noticed after 10 hrs.

Ralt will try to adjust your alt, taken from under the ac, not in front of, and has a limit of 5000ft agl. Perhaps the terrain you are over changes dramatically and ralt can’t keep up?

As for the roll. Are you changing from heading hold to heading select without setting your bug to the desired heading?Heading bug defaults to north if my memory is correct.

S.hornet

For the autopilot, see this thread:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-f-a-18e-pilot-relief-modes-autopilot/473600

This has helped me to understand the AP.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.