F18 - Trim is visually inverted

Please tag your post with #pc and/or #xbox.
pc

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
steam

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
no

Brief description of the issue:
Trim works properly, but the visual model of the aircraft is inverted (elevators move up when trim is set nose-down)

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
you get the idea

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

trim doesn’t seem to move the elevators while aircraft is on the ground, I found this issue in the air

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:
xbox controller but should not be relevant

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

edit - uploaded screenshot

contact support

You should probably read up on the 18E before posting bug reports.FA18E/F

Flaps and Trim are very much different than civi a/c.

I’m not wrong about this, get some speed and trim up, and watch your elevator. You tell me what happens

Yep, the all-flying elevators clearly move opposite of the set trim. I had to look at it three times to believe they did this!
Regards

So looking at it more closely, when you start applying nose up trim, the nose starts pitching up without any elevator movement, then the FCS kicks in and applies nose down elevator to maintain 1G pitch trim. So the real question is how is the manual trim changing pitch without moving a control surface?

Been doing this since release

just looking at the F18 after the Maverik upgrade.
The animation of the stab trim is reversed. Elevator controls work correctly bet the stab runs in the wrong direction

can you point it by screenshot where you have noticed it? I can see no movement of the elevator when turning the trim… :thinking:

Edit: Ahh… ok. It can only be seen in flight - not when standing at the ground.

There’s a general mismatch: you have to assign nose up/down in reverse and also the animation is wrong for most if not all airplanes. Best to see looking at the elevator of the most “basic” airplane: the C152.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

there is no trim tab. its a stabilator and the trim moves the entire thing. just like the jackscrew in the 737. the animations are backwards.

Watch some vids of the DCS Hornet to see it work correctly. here is a pic of the massive hydraulic actuator that controls the thing

Just to help @MimikriX and @PZL104 sort things out, I’d suggest you review the link below.
@MimikriX is describing an antiservo tab (which is frequently just called a trim tab by people using planes equipped with those).
@PZL104 is describing a trim tab, which is what’s used on the RL Cessnas (and many others) and those used in the sim.

Everyone needs to be specific about the type of plane being discussed because there are differences in various makes and models.
Regards

1 Like

Visualize the airflow on that, the air will hit the trim tab deflected down into the airstream. This will created an upwards force on the elevator, which will apply a downwards force on the tail, raising the nose. So the 100% nose up trim indication is correct there. The bug in this thread is specifically for the F/A-18E due to some weird interaction between the manual trim code and the FCS 1G auto trim code.

Ok, sorry if this thread applies to F16 jets. My impression was that it is for trim problems in general.

On the other hand: your explanation is correct till the after the one piece: yes, the trim tab creates an up force to the elevator… but an up force to the elevator creates an upward force to the tail (how should this be different?) resulting in a nose down (NOT nose up) attitude and therefore also the trim indicator on the HUD is wrong.

An upward force TO the elevator is very different than an upward force BY the elevator. An upward force to the elevator will push the elevator up into the oncoming air, which in turn will create a downward force on the tail. But again we’re getting off-topic here and going around in circles.

For an on-topic part of this reply, honestly not sure if this “bug” can be resolved without just programming the sim to ignore manual elevator trim commands while flying the F/A-18E and the FCS is in 1G trim mode. I don’t have the programming knowledge to know how feasible that is.

2 Likes

Trim Tabs
The most common installation on small aircraft is a single
trim tab attached to the trailing edge of the elevator. Most trim
tabs are manually operated by a small, vertically mounted
control wheel. However, a trim crank may be found in some
aircraft. The flight deck control includes a trim tab position
indicator. Placing the trim control in the full nose-down
position moves the trim tab to its full up position. With
the trim tab up and into the airstream, the airflow over the
horizontal tail surface tends to force the trailing edge of the
elevator down. This causes the tail of the aircraft to move
up and the nose to move down. [Figure 6-20]

Source: https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/files/08_phak_ch6.pdf

Or you could call up the FAA and tell them they (and all the instructors in the USA) are wrong about trim tabs. Good luck.

You are missing the situation we discussed where the elevator is straight and just the trim flap is deflected up or down.
As I said: try the Gotfriends Discus 2C and see what they have simulated.

Also, it is always good to read the full text so please have a look at the text above your reference:

And luckily for those not interested in our OT discussion this will be it. Thanks a lot for your understanding and happy flights for everybody be it irl or in sim. :blush:

That unfortunately does not prove your case the way you hoped, as per the text full nose down trim will place the trim tab in full up. Which means full nose up trim will place the trim tab in the full down position, which is the case we have all been presenting. Now go back the screenshot you provided of the Cessna 152 with full nose up trim and look at the position of the trim tab.