Famous Flyer III: Beechcraft Bonanza V35

You cant do very much without it being armed, but Ill double check in case it disarms when Im not looking. Cheers.

Iā€™ve flown about 5 hours in this bird over the last 2 days, all in VR. I have to say I like this bird a lot based on the VFR hand flying Iā€™ve done so far. Definitely a good value in my opinon, but also, a good airplane that is a joy to fly.

My experience is augmented by Brunner force feedback yoke and rudder pedals, FS Realistic, Butkicker, etc. It feels good to fly on my setup.

1 Like

Glad you too are enjoying it. I think some folks are reluctant to say itā€™s great because of the price and Carenado DNA. Iā€™m loving it.

5 Likes

Iā€™m having to hit Altitude Hold once in the air and then the Arm button to get there. For some reason hitting anything to do with the AP cancels the Arming and Iā€™m having to hit it again afterward in order to start climbing. I bound a couple of keys for Alt Hold and Nav Mode and touching either automatically engages the AP (seems theyā€™re tied together) and still nullifies the arming.

Also the selector remembers your chosen Altitude but doesnā€™t remember your ft/min selection once you hit the Arm button, for some reason it chooses a default at 500ft/min whether your climbing or decending.

1 Like

Possibly. But Carenado in MSFS arenā€™t the same as in FSX.

Theyā€™ve really upped their game both with aircraft systems and flight models as well as with updates and customer support.
Are they on the same level as JustFlight or SWS? No, but for the price their planes cost, they are very good value. Iā€™ll take a plane from Carenado over one from Aeroplane Heaven any day.

And this Bonanza is absolutely brilliant considering the price tag

8 Likes

You donā€™t need to be in ALT on the KAP-150, just have AP active. The KAS 297B will follow guidance once youā€™ve set a V/S rate, Target ALT and Armed it. Once youā€™re at Target ALT, ALT will kick in on the KAP.

2 Likes

Itā€™s referred to as un-useable fuel. Itā€™s the part that canā€™t be got at from the outlet of the tank. In this case that is 3 us gallons per side. So only 19 each side is usable fuel.

Reserve fuel calculated by the fuel computer is not some extra magical fuel kept in reserve in another tank. This display will indicate how much fuel you will have in reserve upon reaching your flight plan destination. Itā€™s dynamic so will change dependent on factors such as fuel flow, groundspeed and distance.

3 Likes

If you get this add-on, the h35 looks much better. It has the wood cockpit, although a different color.

1 Like

I think you are describing the sort of issues Iā€™m seeing. I also note that when ALT hold is engaged, you canā€™t change V/S it just wonā€™t budge, so I have to disengage ALT hold then change V/S then ENG it. But sounds like the act of deselecting ALT hold is enough to remove ā€˜ARMā€™ on the target altitude, but it still climbs and then punches through target altitude. I will need to start checking for ARM light as @Raynen has indicated. To me having things unarm when you think they are armed is whatā€™s throwing me. Iā€™ll get there in the end.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying, thatā€™s a lot of fuel left unusable. Really have to watch fuel levels with this aircraft. 2hrs max sort of journey.

I think on an initial climb Iā€™m setting ALT hold at say 2000ft then trying to climb to 5000/6000 ft with the KAS297B, but ALT hold enabled stops you setting a V/S climb rate (It just wonā€™t change for me), so I disable ALT hold in order to set V/S but ā€˜ARMā€™ on the target altitude is disabled during this process which I hadnā€™t noticed. Seems like Iā€™ll need to ARM it again, or at least check that is is armed ahead of a climb or decent.

3 Likes

I was trying the altitude stuff out yesterday and was having trouble working it out.

I could not understand how to engage V/S mode to get to desired altitude.
The autopilot is confusing me a lot on this aircraft.
The top lights display was really throwing me as I was making changes.

1 Like

V/S with modern user interface requires a left (while holding) mouse click (on the rotary dial) then a right mouse click to toggle the v/s display. The value of V/S wonā€™t budge until you remove any ALT hold. If you removeALT hold then just hit engage button and rotate V/S to desired climb/descent rate it works fine, but the sequence seems key.
Now it appears I have to add in a check for target altitude ā€˜ARMā€™ being set as itā€™s prone to unsetting with other AP interactions like engaging/disengaging AP Hold.
It all works, itā€™s just a question of sequence, quirks and knowing what order to do things in.

2 Likes

Do you do the VS stuff on the APO like in the pic above or is it on the right side where the AP panel is.

1 Like

All V/S and target alts are done on the KAS297B, ignore the AP unit for anything other than AP on, alt hold, nav, hdg, appr. So up/down wont work for chaging altitudes, you use target alt & v/s on the KAS297B for setting all altitude changes and climb/descent rates.

3 Likes

The thing Iā€™m finding is that you have to hit the Alt Hold button at some point after takeoff, then go from there @BragRaindrop933 and @RomoRocket. If you donā€™t, you end up overshooting your target, I suppose I speak more for myself I guess with my testing. Hopefully there is a trick. The Autopilot system is more primitive and forces you to do it in steps instead of setting up like you can with the G1000. All you have to do is hit AP after rotation and on it goes in a smoother, more efficient way.

1 Like

Not really a trick but the same way most autopilots work that have this altitude pre-select feature. You guys must not of used the G1000 in this way because itā€™s essentially the same. Follow this 3 step process.

1 - pre select the target altitude
2 - select AP mode to do the transition and make sure the altitude capture is armed. In this case VS mode and ARM button.
3 -select rate of the transition. In this case the desired ft/min.

If you want to climb or descend from here itā€™s the same 3 steps in order.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

The only thing I ever use the G1000 for is to enter NAV1 frequencies into and select VLOC, the rest is all VOR gauges radials and DMEs. Well ok once in a blue moon I use a flightplan, but not very often. The unit is just so horrible to interact with.

The overshoot is the bit where you have to hit ARM in the KAS297B after entering target ALT. interacting with AP/ALT HOLD will remove that ARM.

Itā€™s only horrible to interact with if you donā€™t understand how to achieve what you want. Gaining that understanding is where it falls down as itā€™s not the most intuitive thing to learn. Some bits are easier than others. The autopilot being one of them.

There is no need to have to hit that AP ALT button. Let the pre select feature do it automatically for you as I described.

4 Likes

I tried briefly to enter a procedure to an airport with no flightplan. The functionality is there, but no touchscreen and a really awful combo of buttons to get there. I just gave up. The GTN750 is far easier to use.

Iā€™ll have a go at not touching ALT hold at all and just interact with the KAS297B instead and keep checking the ARM light.