Famous Flyer V: Antonov An-2

Privacy and…mobility?

2 Likes

NTSB Report conclusions:

• It appears the pilot was getting changed while banking to enter the pattern, and decided to close the blinds for privacy.
  • This radical change of AoA while maintaining an approximately 30 degree angle of bank resulted in an accelerated stall that progressed into an unrecoverable spin and a collision with terrain.
  • Investigators commented the outfit the deceased pilot had chosen to change into was quite tasteful and very suitable for the current weather as set out in the METAR for the day.
  • the NTSB strongly recommends a NOTAM be issued stating the blinds in this aircraft should never be closed while the aircraft is in flight
9 Likes

Correct, we count seconds (5 seconds nose-down for most heavy-ish loads)

There is a neutral indication in the cockpit (the green light on top of the 3 trimmers illuminates when in neutral)

1 Like

Has there been any response from Asobo regarding the inaccurate flight model?
(I know there is a bug reporting system but I find the website and forums here difficult to navigate, they seem to have changed its structure a lot in the past year)

P.S. found the bugs section and added my vote (yea I need new glasses :nerd_face:)

1 Like

Thanks, you are right, fixing the wing geometry should come first, then the further tuning.

I tried your numbers, with induced drag set back to 1, and it seems quite good and elimintates the huge adverse yaw as well.

I think the devs went with this glider wing workaround to achieve the “no stall parachute landing”, but went too far.

(I think that should mean a 5-7 m/s survivable impact, not the 1,5 m/s landing what it could do originally in MSFS)

3 Likes

Worlds first anti-RPG protected Bicycle.

1 Like

7 m/s means smacking into the ground with a vertical speed of 13.6 knots or around 1400 fpm

3 Likes

T-10 parachute - Wikipedia.

This says 6,7 - 7,3 m/s on average for this type (just googled something quickly…), so if the aicraft manual says, you get a descent rate similiar to a parachute, it won’t be a 300-400 fpm touch down, but 1000+

That’s still amazing if a 5 ton plane can do that just by pulling full aft stick and full flaps instead of going into a stall and just crash imo.

4 Likes

I bought An-2, it is great aircraft.
Easy to fly, visualy looks good, only thing, I didn’t make it to turn on manually, I used ctrl+e. I followed check list, but it won’t start up. But beside that great aircraft. Not that detailed like Ju-53, but only exterior. Interior is great. Even those missing exterior details are not something important.
Only thing which I need more practice is landing. It can fly even at low speed, so when I am landing I make small jumps few times, even my airspeed is very low, like 40-50 km/h.
And one more thing that I do not like is tail dagger. It is little bit tricky to handle it on ground. But what to do it is how aircraft is made.

2 Likes

I had a similar issue until I found that ending a flight without leaving it in a cold and dark state would cause the starting procedure for the next flight to not work. I’m not completely convinced that’s what causing the issue but since properly ending my flights it hasn’t happened since.

2 Likes

Pull the yoke back on landing and set it down on three wheels. Be careful, once you know how to land it well, you may want to fly taildraggers and taildraggers only. :smile:

2 Likes

Let’s see whether someone can help me with this:

I have dived into the real routes the An-2 used to fly over CCCP and am a bit lost. Let’s take this one from Achinsk for example:

Do I understand correctly that:

• There was a connection from Achinsk to Lenevo taking off at 5:40 Moscow time and landing at 6:45 Moscow time.
  • The An-2 stopped also in Novobiriliussy and Altat on the way.
  • The return flight took off from Lenevo at 9:40 Moscow time and landed in Achinsk at 11:30 Moscow time.

Now…

• How come the return flight Lenevo - Achinsk took considerably longer than the flight Achinsk - Lenevo?
  • Where is Kandat? I am not able to find it. Perhaps a name changed or the place does not exist any longer?
  • The same goes actually for Lenevo. There are some Lenevos over the country but none in reasonable vicinity of Achinsk. ArcGIS map, when searching for Lenevo in Krasnoyarsk region pointed me to Protochniy. Could it be the place changed its name?

Help! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There could be few reasons to that, for example they were flying from Achinsk to Lenevo via Altat and from Lenevo to Achinsk via Novobiriliussy only or via Altat + Novobiriliussy.
Lenevo is on the map, to the left and a bit low from Achinsk (about 152 km)

Kandat does not exist any more, I afraid, or renamed (this is a river’s name actually), however there is a forest cabin Kandatskaya Lesnaya Dacha to the left of Novobiriliussy - about 50 km and there are no airfield I think

1 Like

Is there some magical way to copy the flight model from the GNS version to the original version?

3 Likes

I don’t know exactly, but terrain might be an issue if the rout goes anywhere near the Ural mountains.

Do you need it translated?

An-2 in modern Achinsk

AN-2 slow landing real plane

1 Like

Practicing Touch n Go’s in this lovely Aircraft.

9 Likes

After landing he had to pick up speed for taxiing, haha.

5 Likes