Famous Flyer V: Antonov An-2

No, thank you :grinning: I may be slow but I can read it.

Then your Russian is better than mine!

2 Likes

My first take on the routes flown by the An-2 in the past (70’ / 80’; three regions for starters) if someone finds it useful. Thanks @CommonBloom31 for linking the aviaposter website.

An-2 Routes Google Map

It is not perfect as many places are difficult to locate and many have duplicate names.
Only about one third of destination airfields exists in MSFS (they have a green icon on the map). Though with the An-2 it is possible to land pretty much anywhere so just look for a suitable spot :slight_smile:

The plan is to work on other regions, subject to time available and enthusiasm. Having said that, at times it is painfully slow process so I do not promise much.

Happy landings!

12 Likes

The An-2 appears to lack all wake turbulence, which is a shame. I know wake turbulence is supposedly a thing since the Reno Races although, TBH, I hardly notice it there. Is wake turbulence supposed to be a thing for all planes even if not doing Reno? I don’t know. But what I can say is that the An-2 doesn’t make any. If this a bug / oversight, it should be fixed. If wake turbulence outside Reno is not a thing, then don’t worry about it.

Anyway, the An-2 should use the “heavy” callsign suffix. A few years ago, this was discovered the hard way by a Robin. Here’s a video about this accident and its cause:

So, me and @CuzDawg3 tried to recreate this. We went to the very same airport, I took off in the An-2, and he took off in the Robin 39 seconds later. Nothing. So we decreased the takeoff interval and finally ended up with him following me around at various distances while I had full flaps out to make the most disturbed air possible. And still nothing.

(apologies for the bad terrain graphics but Bing cut out on me)

Wake turbulence is ONLY available in the Reno races.
Imagine you’d like to start in a little C-152 from KLAX.
And right in front of you a B-747 takes of.
Do you know how long you have to wait until you can safely take of?
It would be minutes!

Actual realistic Wake Turbulence in game would generate thousands of complaints from would be experts claiming the game was broken and wake turbulence was excessive.

5 Likes

I wish I could have option to turn them on. Especially when flying on vatsim.

3 Likes

Since update 12 there is a “turbulence” adjustment in the assistance settings.

No, the AN-2 is in the Light wake category. Heavy starts at 136000kg, 300000lbs.

Yeah these figures work very well. Are you using the same other parameters that you mentioned before? That’s what I have set on mine for now and it flies great. I just couldn’t get over the sim thinking it had 103’ wings!

I suppose the glider wings did help with the unrealistically soft engine-fail landing, but seeing as how the manual said about the descent rate of a parachute, 1000 ft/min or thereabouts is about right. It is by no means a soft landing, but like you said, still quite astonishing. It is a uniquely amazing aircraft.

Are you certain? I wouldn’t think of arguing the point but the other day I was coming in to land at a large airport and some guy in a large commercial jet came in over me landing and what I thought was turbulence threw me around pretty badly. If it wasn’t that, it was sure some oddity.

On the other hand, it doesn’t seem to work in the air because yesterday I was flying right under the wing of an AN225 for a while and felt nothing. Even as I poked my head into his cargo bay!

Actually, if you in a C-152 take off rather quickly as you, the C-152, would either be under or miss the wake turbulence. The turbulence comes off the wing tips. Since a C-152 is smaller than the wing length of a B-474 you could avoid all turbulence. , of course, I’m assuming calm or no wind.

dw

I’d like to see this livery from earlier Steel Buddy - Morlock Motors AN-2 SP-AMP :

1 Like

Thanks for the info, even if it is a bummer :frowning:

Imagine you’d like to start in a little C-152 from KLAX. And right in front of you a B-747 takes of.
Do you know how long you have to wait until you can safely take of? It would be minutes!

#realism :slight_smile: That’s how the real world is.

BUT, of course, I might on occasion have a few drinks and get the idea to buzz around busy airports laying massive wake turbulence all over the place for the benefit of other players. And many others, of course, would get drunk and have the same idea, and it would be great fun for all. It’s not griefing if you do it on the “Drunk Players” servers because you KNOW going in that you might encounter roving gangs of drunks doing silly things. Never do such things on the “No Fun Players” servers. Respect the difference. Strange as it may sound, there truly are some folks who don’t want to have any fun but that’s their choice, so leave them to it on their own servers :slight_smile:

So perhaps wake turbulence should be a thing on the “Drunk Players” servers but not on the “No Fun Players” servers? Or maybe an option in everybody’s settings to be affected by others’ wake turbulence or not. In any case, it’s a shame the An-2 doesn’t deeply wound the air as she bludgeons her way through it :frowning:

Well, sure, but IRL experts have noted, thanks to incidents like the one I linked, that the An-2 punches well above her weight when it comes to making wake turbulence. All that draggy stuff she’s got. IOW, although she’s too light to get the “heavy” suffix, she should be TREATED as “heavy” by anybody behind her, due to the mess she leaves.

1 Like

C-FAKA(0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

C-FAKA(0008) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

C-FAKA(0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

8 Likes

I use the An-2 old/basic model - and can operate the ADF with no problems. However - on the left hand side of the VC, there’s a comms unit that also includes a NAV radio where you can tune to VOR beacons.

I see no way that VOR can be used. Am I doing something basically wrong, or should that part of the unit not be there?

Also - is there ever an audio tone transmitted when an ADF (or VOR) beacon is tuned in? I’ve never heard one - though the “volume” knobs appear to animate.

About the audio of ADF, turn the knob to “AHT.”
It stop the needle and start the Audio. After you have identify the beacon turn back the knob to “komπ” to make the needle work.

About VOR, there is no VOR receiver…

You are correct. NEITHER the old-school nor the Garmin cockpits contain a CDI instrument (known colloquially as a “VOR gauge”) so neither of them can do VOR navigation or ILS approaches. This makes a certain kind of sense for the old-school panel as the 1970s NAVCOM unit is just bolted vertically to the cockpit wall without any panel surgery at all, the obvious intent being to use the “NAV” radio as COM2. You have a VFR plane that can do pilotage and NDBs (where available) but can talk to modern ATC efficiently, with minimal expense. Good job.

HOWEVER, the lack of even one CDI (or an updated attitude indicator with flight director bars and a glideslope bug) makes ZERO sense for the Garmin panel which DID have major surgery. Not only did this involve replacing the Soviet dual ADF with a 530/430 stack but ALSO then adding a 1970s US ADF back in just above the Soviet transponder. And you expect me to believe that the person who spent all the money to do this, who KNEW the Garmins contain 2 NAV radios and can do all sorts of cool stuff for IFR, AND didn’t want to lose ADF capability, did NOT ALSO change out other gauges to take full use of his additions? And maybe even install a rudimentary 1970s autopilot at least? No. Just no. This is the least-logical panel in the history of panels, and in this I include the Blèriot XI which as NO panel at all, nor even a mount for one. Why go to all this trouble and expense just to add, essentially, a GPS map, which your PHONE can give you?!?!?. Seriously, I consider this a bug and hope it’s treated as such. So please upvote this as a major bug.

Also - is there ever an audio tone transmitted when an ADF (or VOR) beacon is tuned in? I’ve never heard one - though the “volume” knobs appear to animate.

Well, I guess that doesn’t work. Bummer. The Garmin version has a full “modern-ish” audio panel but I’ve never gotten any sound of it, either.

1 Like

My mistake: the audio tone is there, but it’s incredibly quiet - even with my MSFS cockpit sounds slider maxed out and the panel volume knob ditto.
I suspect that in RL the engine noise would be pretty loud, so the tone would need to be heard above all that <?>.

Did someone else experienced that with WT gtn530/430 all navigation is turned 180?
All instruments telling you are going north but the aircraftsymbol on the gtn530 moving backwards and if you crosscheck with vfr map you are going south.