FBW A320n how to get IFR clearance after Simbrief route and stats import

I found a work around that works for me. I just make a separate flight plan in the UI and set my cruising altitude in the nav log. Then I just replace it with simbrief in the cockpit. I will still have atc give me clearance and get me to the cruising altitude.

2 Likes

This is similar to what I do.

On a separate laptop to the side of my rig, I first create a FPL in SimBrief (determine the route, flight number, FL, etc). Then I open the Navigraph app and load the FPL into that app for charts. I fire up FS2020 on my rig, and manually build that FPL into the World Map, selecting the departure gate, etc, and choosing the FL provided by SimBrief in the Nav Log.

Then I click Fly Now and it’s loaded for me and ATC perfectly (relatively) handles the IFR FPL. Once I’m ready for push back I get my copilot to handle comms so I just focus on the A/C operation and/or can multitask if I need to work on my other PC while flying.

I too use SimBrief - with the A320neo FBW, but all I put into MSFS is the departure airport and parking space (gate) as I start cold and dark. After importing all the Simbrief stuff into the MCDU, I then enter the departure procedures (but not the arrival). I disable the copilot handling ATC in MSFS until after I’ve started the aircraft and pushed back from the gate (IOW, ready to taxi). At that point in ATC dialog, I click on get IFR clearance. MSFS will handle my flight plan and intended destination (which I’ve entered in the MCDU but NOT the arrival or approach to a specific runway). This allows me to switch up in case ATC wants me to land on a different runway than I had planned initially. The only negatives of this approach are ATC is sometimes late to the descent phase, so I keep an eye on my position on Foreflight moving map, and request reduction(s) in flight levels as I approach the destination airport. Overall it seems to work, though not as well as if you subscribe to real-world ATC via Vatsim (free) or PilotEdge (paid subscription after free trial). For jet pilots, PilotEdge is a real game changer but their service areas are not worldwide.

1 Like

MODERATOR EDIT:
Hello guys, I managed to solve this problem by updating my FLYBYWIRE on my PC. It was outdated my A320NX because it did not play long, so I researched some information and fell here, after trying some things I remembered the FBW. I updated and ready in magica pass solve this problem! THAT’S IT!! I HOPE EVERYONE CAN RESOVER ALSO DOING THIS!! HUGS!! TMJ COMMANDERS!!!

OlĂĄ pessoal, consegui resolver esse problema atualizando o meu FLYBYWIRE no meu PC. Estava desatualizado meu A320NX pois nĂŁo jogava a muito tempo, entĂŁo pesquisei algumas informaçÔes e cai aqui, depois de tentar algumas coisas lembrei do FBW. Atualizei e pronto no passe de magica resolver esse problema!! É ISSO!! ESPERO QUE TODOS POSSAM RESOVER TAMBÉM FAZENDO ISSO!! ABRAÇOS!! TMJ COMANDANTES!!!

A year later
 Asobo didn’t change anything with the ATC behavior
All the above can be taken care of except for the destination RWY assignment.
You can ask ATC for the DPT RWY and then you just edit your FP in Simbrief with the assigned RWY and get the right SID. You can increase your attitude by 10K and fairly quickly get to your desired altitude.

The problem is with the destination RWY. It is a gamble, with a small RWY with one RWY you have a 50% chance to get it right. International airports with 6, 8, or more RWY’s, and it becomes a mess. usually, you can’t contact the tower less than 10-15 miles from the airport as it will not show up on the “Nearest airports list” (with an IFR it is better as ATC does call you 40-70 miles ahead of the landing and that should be sufficient time to adjust the FP).

Flying between short destinations (without going back to the menu every time) on an 3rd party airplane that cannot be assigned with an IFR (e.g. Aerosoft CJR’s) makes it very stressful before landing

if anyone has a solution, please reply (other than using an external ATC option)

I’m new to these forums, but if anyone is still struggling with this, then I have found the solution.
You can go to the flypad, go to settings, then click sim options, then select “sync msfs flight plan” to none. Now you can load in your flight plan in the main menu, but it won’t be loaded into your fmgc.

1 Like

I made an account just to thank you. This has been driving me crazy.

How do you get IFR clearance? I only have the option to ask for VFR with my imported simbrief FP in the 32NX.

When I try to get the clearance, I always have “NO ACTIVE ATC”. I have imported my Simbrief, I have input my Hopie ID but can’t get the clearance on clearance REQ
 Any station I enter gives NO ACTIVE ATC. Any clue? I followed a few tutorials, no success. (My flight is CYYZ/CYUL, I tried entering CYYZ as the station, CYHM, CYUL, any stations in fact)

Just a follow up on this
I’m running the experimental version, and you can now sync simbrief to the in-game ATC very easily. First, you need to go into the FLYPAD settings. Select Sim Options and then find “Sync MSFS flightplan”. Select “Save” here. Now, you can setup a flight this way:

1 - Setup your flight in Simbrief
You can do this before loading MSFS, or after, or even once your at the gate or stand at your departure airport

2- Fire up MSFS and only select your departure airport, and nothing else. Just your departure airport and click Fly. Once in the plane, turn on the Flypad and import your flight plane. Make any changes to it, etc.

3 - Because you enabled the Save option earlier, the now imported flight plan will be synced back to MSFS, once you go through the INIT A page setup.

4 - Once your ready, go ahead and tune ATC, and clearance. Select “Request IFR Clearance for Instrument FP” and you should be good to go

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this reply / update.

This is the truly “seamless” solution I was hoping for. Really appreciate it.

1 Like

Ah – but with this method does MSFS ATC know what your cruise altitude profile is supposed to be?
I understand that the in-game ATC needs to get that info [ie. cruise flight-level profile] from the World Map flight planning screen before you hit “Fly” – Or has this changed?

When you import the flight plan into the world map it will have your cruise altitude.

You can also request a higher altitude from ATC if it doesn’t.

The in-game ATC altitude advisories always seem to work when I use the World Map.
Correct me if I’m wrong – When importing a Simbrief flight plan directly into the FMS, you also beforehand need to have imported that same flight plan (as a .PLN file) into the World Map screen – if you want to have the MSFS ATC’s altitude callouts during your flight.

Correct 

Ok thanks.
Will one lose those expected ATC altitude callouts if changes are subsequently made in the cockpit FMS to the flight plan and the FlyPad’s “sync” to flight plan function is set to “save”?

Just wanted to report back.

I concur with other’s that Flight Levels (FL) are a bit wonky when you use the “Sync MSFS Flightplan” to “Save”. Not only that, but ATC was, apparently, really confused diverting me back from tower to central control several times. :frowning:

On the other hand, setting sync to “None” and loading the plan into the World Editor allows for two important factors in my flight experience (at least at my current knowledge level):

1. It allows you to correctly import the Simbrief plan into the MCDU (this is a must for me)
  2. The ATC is spot on calling all the different Flight Levels and passing over the flight control to the next step all the way into landing.

So, the “save” method is nice in that you don’t need to load the flight plan into the world. But I found that I had to actually cancel IFR near the destination and request a “full stop landing” in order for things to work as I wanted them to. Still, nice quick way if you just want to jump into the plane.

If you prefer a fully "controlled’ ATC, at least from my couple of flights these days, going the “none” route and loading the plan into the World and THEN loading the plan into the MCDU worked more like I would have liked at this point.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong? But that solution seems to work best for me right now.

Thanks for the different approach options to fill more of people’s needs and likes. That is part of what makes this project really amazing! Thanks to the FlyByWire community.

Best,
Rafa.

1 Like

To be honest with you, I wish we could just import MSFS flight plans.

The FBW can almost do that (use World Map - generated flight plans) !
There is just one small bug that is currently corrupting that flight plan once you hit the “FLY” button from the MSFS World Map screen

The MCDU of the FBW A32NX is erroneously bunching-together any VOR (radio-navaid) waypoints from the original World Map plan right to the very end of of the flight plan that appears on the MCDU! You therefore have to manually edit though the flight plan using the MCDU, to either correctly re-order any VOR waypoints, or remove them completely!
To the good folks at FBW – Come on, please, please fix this MCDU bug. :pray: