Fenix A320 - read T&Cs before buying - may not work with many third party hardware accessories

Just an heads up for anyone thinking of the Fenix with a home cockpit -

Did an impulse buy with the Fenix a320 late night, excellent aircraft and really enjoy it, but unfortunately they do not allow home cockpit devices - Logitech flight panel and such do not work, no home cockpit use - its on page 3 of the T&Cs - be aware if you intend to fly using your nice flight panels and displays

6.4. The Software must not be used on home cockpits.

4 Likes

Has anyone asked them how they define “home cockpit” yet? This important distinction is missing from the T&Cs and needs to be clarified before pulling out the pitchforks.

They mentioned when it was first announced they were not supporting home cockpits since the plane is built on licensed technology from a 3rd party (can’t remember who
 edit: Prosim per Rosen213 below) that builds A320 cockpit simulators of some sort.

Moved to #third-party-addon-discussion:aircraft which is more appropriate :+1:

1 Like

Yes - I hope they allow enthusiasts to use there one off home made panels - its Prosim 3rd party software

There is a big difference between ‘Not Supporting’ and ‘Must Not Be Used’.

But, how would they even know? I mean it’s not like you would email them and tell them.

1 Like

It wasn’t a quote. Maybe go to their Discord and ask them?

No thanks.

1 Like

Cockpit replication hardware connectivity is limited to primary flight controls
(including ailerons, rudders, and elevators) and secondary flight controls (including spoilers,
flaps, slats, and air brakes), and other devices in so far connectivity is provided by the
underlaying platform. Professional training applications are strictly excluded.

6.4. The Software must not be used on home cockpits.

Well, good luck in even trying to get all the other switches, knobs & Dials reproduced and working in an advanced Home Cockpit - with or without the developers help.

However, I wonder if a Commercial License would allow that, assuming it was technically possible, and if so, if it would be supported. (not that I personally have any interest in this )

I assume ANYTHING is possible if you pay enough 
 Including, it would seem, buying Facebook !!!

Homecockpit is not a real word. Webster doesn’t know it. So it’s not an official word of the English language. Whatever it is supposed to be, who cares.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homecockpit

My best guess it that is is suppsed to be something that has to do with home automation and smart homes. Maybe some kind of remote support station for users of smart homes is called homecockpit.

Whack a space in there, and it doesn’t have to be.

same result.
It’s a phantasy word with no defined meaning.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/home%20cockpit

It’s two separate words, both of which are in the dictionary. It is not a single word.

Unless you accept this as well.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/airplane%20hangar

I’ve got all night
 :wink:

Aircraft have a cockpit, racing cars have a cockpit
never heard of homes having a cockpit.

You mean all my perpherals and displays I use to play the Game of the Year ? My “Gaming Rig” ?

Wikipedia knows ‘Simulation Cockpit’ or ‘Civilian simpit’.

Also the word home cockpit is somewhere in the text.

Ah well I leave the worries to those that use the fenix aircraft
I don’t even have it so
pffft.

2 Likes

Yeah you can just safely ignore that in the T&Cs as no one is actually going to enforce it. It’s just like with P3D who, because of licensing agreements with Microsoft to use the ESP platform, say that the product is definitely not for home entertainment use and it’s made clear before you buy it yet a ton of people do exactly that with proof all over the place in the form of youtube videos and streams and a ton of entertainment addons developed for it yet no one cares. It’s just legal nonsense to appease lawyers and to cover their behinds in weird edge cases.

This has already bitten people using Mobiflight. There is a warning dialog if you attempt to control the sim that way. At least one person has obtained a refund from Fenix after discovering this.

Rules it out for me too. I am not interested in flying an airliner using the mouse, when I can use my custom panel for the FBW A20N.

8 Likes

Wow, if they’re actually blocking the software home cockpit users use then I guess that invalidates what I said above lol.

Your point is well made. Mine certainly doesn’t have one. But if I were to build one
 :slight_smile:

I don’t have a huge interest in this either, but if I did I wouldn’t be rewarding them with my money if they dictate how I can, and can’t use it.

I wonder if that burb means they could lose their licence in future if MSFS some days introduces robust keybinding interface? Afterall, this is a sim where the designers at least originally trumpeted about home cockpit support.

So many things to wonder about that may- or may not - happen in the future :roll_eyes:

At the end of the day ( assume we Live in a free country) , what you do with some entertainment game simulator software, in the privacy of your own home, is up to you.

Its only when you make those action Public, that you open yourself up to scrutiny.

As far as the Fenix is concerned, it sound like the developers are taking a positive direction in not supporting a “Home Cockpit”, probably by not exposing the internal variable to the outside , ie by Simconnect,

I knew they weren’t supporting “home cockpits” since they first started talking about this plane but it was never clear to me this meant I couldn’t use a controller to simply turn the ■■■■ heading knob. This feels like yet another bait and switch. All the streamers talking about how great it is and it’s the best plane ever in a sim but nobody mentioning that you can’t use it with anything other than the mouse. Yikes.

1 Like