File Checker

Does MSFS have or plan to add a File Checker similar to System File Checker? Something that could quickly scan through installed MSFS files and make sure none are corrupt. I think this would be a most helpful tool, especially considering all the people having CTDs.

There is one built into Steam if you purchased MSFS from there but I believe there is an issue with it which causes the requirement of re- downloading a large portion.

1 Like

DO NOT Verify Files in Steam. You will trigger a complete re-download.

6 Likes

@skypilotYTS

THIS 100%%%. Verifying file integrity in Steam WILL DEFINITELY cause a COMPLETE reinstall of MSFS

would like add a link to existing bug for affected by this :slight_smile:

Also thats not really a file-check which was requested, because Steam itself knows nothing about the files the MSFS installer downloaded. Therefore I assume such a “check” can only be come from the MSFS installer. But I assume that will not happen, and I also not know why files on the disc should go corrupt. In case it happens while “download the update”, still the updater is responsible to verify the downloaded files.

I’ve been getting a ton of CTDs over the last couple months ( Constant CTDs after flying a bit ), hence the reason for asking for MSFS to implement a file checker to verify installed files are correct. After a complete and thorough reinstall yesterday and yet another CTD this morning, I think I’m finally finished with MSFS.

So you re-installed MSFS, and it made no difference - still getting CTD.

Maybe its not MSFS, but instead, some critical Windows system files that are corrupt. (It happens more times than you may think!!)

There are a series of Windows File integrity tools, that can check, and often repair, damaged system files.
Easy to run them as a batch file, to occasionally check that these files have not become corrupt.

repair.bat

echo off
cls
echo #####################################
echo # — REPAIR ----- #

echo on
echo (1 of 6)
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
pause
echo -----------------------------------------
echo (2 of 6)
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
pause
echo -----------------------------------------
echo (3 of 6)
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth
pause
echo ------------------------------------------
echo (4 of 6)
sfc /scannow
pause
echo (5 of 6)
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
pause
echo (6 of 6)
Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
echo .
echo # — FINISHED ----- #

1 Like

Done that a dozen times over the last couple months. We have a system file checker for windows, what we need is a file checker for MSFS so one doesn’t have to go through the experience of a complete reinstall to see if MSFS has a corrupt file or not.

How about “chkdsk” or “scandisk”

Also, specific for MSFS, a file MSFS Checksum Utility program, (maybe in the Dev Console) that runs in MSFS ( so it can be used by X-Box users as well), that checks the checksum of every OFFICIAL file, to ensure they are all present, and none are corrupted. ?

2 Likes

thats the point… msfs files go not magical corrupt. Only reason can be because the updater do a bad job and not validate the files, or there are issues with the hard-drives.

@PhantomStreak I seen your other topic already, but you not wrote much about informations we need and which are in meanwhile well known that we need it for analyses or give hints. Eg. have you checked with empty community folder, if the ctd happens allways in same region ( as you stated in a different topic ) is it allways the same geo-location?.. and just such kind of other hints so we can get an idea. I doubt a FileChecker will help here…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.