Finally a crash free experience

This is why, when you overclock, you test stability to verify your overclock or undervolt (or overclock with an undervolt) not just with synthetic benchmarks like 3D Mark but actually testing through gameplay.

One game may crash, another may not.

When overclocking you always, only change one setting. And you test test test until you are 100% stable with that specific change, whether its memory speed, core speed or voltage.

I’ve been testing my 3080Ti’s overclock with undervolt for the last 2 months, incrementally testing the 3 games I normally play after verifying its stability in 3D mark stress tests.

I’m currently running 2100Mhz@0.993volts and in flights the GPU runs at 50-56% load usage and stays at 2070Mhz at 39c (yes, watercooled) at 1080p with FPS hovering around 80-110fps depending on altitude and terrain.

I havent even touched overclocking my 9900k yet.

In every game except Flight Sim, my GPU overclock is 100% stable.

I am still getting CTD’s in MSFS, with or without my overclock/undervolt and they are MORE frequent now with this recent World Update.

When the update dropped, I had a heck of a time just getting the game to actually load because within 30seconds of getting to the menu it just crashes and I ended up being in a boot-loop of asking to either start in safe mode or normal mode.

It took me to “Reset” the game installation in Windows’ Settings page to even get to the point where the game is stable enough on its own to even complete a flight of any length of time. Almost every issue I’ve had with the game, whether its an update loop, boot loop, CTDs etc… I’ve had to reinstall the 1.2GB main installation to fix it or at least mitigate the frequency of the issues.

There is still A LOT of optimization left on the table. Sadly we’re not there yet with 100% stability after the last 2 updates to the game.

This is unfortunately the problem with a very complex piece of software. When you throw in so many varied hardware setups, it just compounds the issue.

Again, none of the issues I’m having with MSFS have anything to do with my system, its performance or any tweaking I’ve done to increase its performance.

What I did find is an older post stating that any software related to overclocking or memory management, such as MSI Afterburner or ISLC/Process Lasso may be the lynchpin. However because I’ve tested without the overclock and I don’t run Afterburner if I’m not running an overclock - I’ll try testing with my overclock applied, but then closing Afterburner to see if that works as the only information that Event Viewer is showing me - is that the file WwiseLibPCx64P.dll is what is causing the crash. And searching this file brought me to this thread: Cannot update thanks to CTD at start

So maybe, the game/sim does not play very well with other software running in the background. But as I said… with/without my OC software running, the game just up and quits and does so without any error message. The only time’s i’ve gotten an error message with the CTD is ONLY when I am running SimConnect for some FSEconomy flights.

2 Likes