Finally got my Quest 2, Oculus link and Flight Sim working. I'm a happy camper

Well, it only took about 3 dozen Red Bulls and lots of hair pulling, but it’s working…and actually pretty nice.

I7 10700 running at 5 Ghz, a crappy AMD RX 590. Render setting are 100, terrain and object detail both at 150.

Now if they could make it so a friend (living elsewhere with VR capabilities) could log into a server and “ride-along” as a passenger.

2 Likes

Hi there good to hear you’ve cracked it

Can you share your settings, I’m new to vr and currently trying to get the settings right but quite sure what setting do what.

Don’t want to go down the red bull route it would probably kill me

1 Like

Beyond what I posted above, I’m still messing with the settings.
Take a look at this thread for some guidance with the settings.

Just got a Quest 2 as well. Follow post #12’s suggestions EXACTLY and it will blow your mind.

Took a couple hours of fiddling to get my Rift S to work properly. Spent a good 5 hours trying to get a G2 to “acceptable”. Never got there, that headset is an embarrassment and it’s going back. Followed the above directions on the Q2 and was immediately impressed. 30 minutes and we’re golden.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. I hadn’t come across that one before.

The Quest 2 has been a real mysterious bugger to get set up and running. :slight_smile:

My wife said the same thing when I demoed FS VR to her. It would be good if it became a feature.

What I’ve been doing is streaming my flight to YouTube. From there a few friends (all ham radio operators) go to my stream and then we chat on 2-meter radio (146.520 mhz). Everyone can see my flight (but only at 2D). We’ll spend hours “flying” around while they ask me to fly in different parts of the country or world. It’s a lot of fun.

Just hair twirling…If we could stream 3d to YouTube (I have no idea if we can, or if it’s possible. The thought just popped into my mind) and a person watching that feed had VR, I wonder if that would work?

This is what I’ve been doing:

I have several friends who are completely new to flight simulator. I’ve been at it for about 10 years now. It would be AMAZING if I could pop into the cockpit with them. Put all settings to hard and off we go. These friends are perfectly capable of flying around on easy settings, but the game is a lot more interesting on hard. Hard/Realistic comes with a fairly steep learning curve. I could talk them through half of it in an hour.

I was thinking more like just taking them (remotely) for a ride. Also, there’d be no control (by them) of the aircraft…just a 3D view from the passenger seat.

A free “ride along” without the need to own any flight controllers. :slight_smile:

Yep, me too. Not so I could control from the side seat (although that would be cool). I just want to be able to ride as a passenger and help guide them through start up, taxi, take off, etc.

I wonder since you can stream your gameplay to your cellphone (on Oculus quest 2) they could view that in a cheap VR box? Then they would be there as well? Or you could guide them from you using the stream view.

I can’t find anything about streaming 3D from the Quest to another device or to YouTube. All I can find is how to watch a 3d stream. Watching is the easy part.

Seems the following steps are getting me consistently connected to FS 2020 (MS Store version) in VR mode with the least amount of hassle.

1. From inside the headset, launch Virtual Desktop.

2. From the computer, launch FS 2020.

3. Once FS 2020 is running, select whatever you’re going to do and start your flight.

4. Once you’re sitting on the runway put on your Quest 2’s and press the
    “menu” button on the left controller. A screen will open showing your connections and such.

5. About 3/4 down on the left side it will say “Start StreamVR.” Do that now. If you don’t, FS 2020 will just show up as a huge 2d screen in your Oculus 2. It looks really nice, but it’s still 2d. :slight_smile:

6. Make sure you’ve mouse clicked on the FS 2020 screen to make sure it’s active (in case you have multiple screens) and press whatever key combo you use to switch to VR (CTRL+TAB) and FS 2020 should pop up in full 3d glory.

Feedback would be appreciated as I might be doing something I don’t need to do. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.