Ok Quest 2 users let's unite and list our settings/specs etc

So I’m running a 2060 with a Quest 2 via Link cable and it’s a shimmering/pixelated mess at the moment. I’ve followed all guides/posts on here so far. Getting around 25fps in the headset. Yes it is immersive but it doesn’t look as good as it should.

My preferences in the Oculus desktop software are:

90hz refresh rate
Rendering at 1.0

Debug tool:

FOV stencil off
Asycnchornus Spacewarp to off
Everything else default

What is everyone running and what settings did people use to get it at least 30fps and looking at least half decent?

I’m kind of thinking it might be my headset? I don’t know. I have until the 31st January to return my headset to Amazon.

I’m not an expert in VR just got this so I’m getting my head around all the terms etc.

The Quest with a link cable is currently broken.

It has a frame timing issue that causes constant stutter.

See this thread:

No word from the devs yet on a fix.

3 Likes

It’s not just you, I have been having the same issue with Link on my Quest 1 since I have owned it in DCS flight simulator. Just tried VR in MSFS with native Oculus and yes, it is the same thing I notice in DCS. My fix in DCS is to use SteamVR instead of running it natively with Oculus, so I tried that and that got rid of the micro stutters in MSFS too. This whole time I assumed it was a DCS problem, not a global one. Thanks for the info FlyinJPetrol :+1:

1 Like

Fascinating. Maybe we can finally get this fixed, since it seems to be a common issue to X-Plane, MSFS, and DCS too, yet none of my other VR apps do this with Quest/Link. There must be some common thing in their implementation, which is either causing the problem itself, or is triggering a bug in the Oculus runtime or Nvidia drivers. The fact that we can run DCS or X-Plane in SteamVR using the same settings and get smooth performance compared to the fluctuating framerate in the native Oculus runtime proves it’s a bug.

Strange enough the sim performs and looks a bit better through Virtual Desktop instead of the link cable.

Quest 2 80hz max res through link cable
i7 9700K oc to 5ghz
RTX 3090
32 gb ram

but still unplayable/unenjoyable (both with VD and the official Oculus Link cable) , no matter what I tried.

I suspect it to be NVIDIA driver (see https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/402768/valve-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/ )

my specs: GIGABYTE x570,32gb ddr4 3600, Ryzen-9 5950x, RTX 3070 , official Link cable, Quest2

It’s not the LOW FPS that is the killer, it is the low refresh rate for the headset. Which for me is below 35 Hz and is unplayable since I am normally able achieve 90 Hz stable refresh rate in all Oculus rift games.
I’d be interested to know what is causing this issue since I have wasted hours adjusting settings in both the oculus, NVidia and MFS2020 (I’ll let you guess what I call MF S).

I was thinking about this, the last time i fired up X-Plane 11 also gave me bad stutters.
DCS ran ok with 45 fps ASW enabled(single player) but MSFS 2020 runs the worst of the bunch.
I have 0 issues with other vr games be it on SteamVR or Oculus. Even Elite Dangerous runs fine these days. I read something about the Nvidia drivers being bad but it seems to affect MSFS the hardest. Cyberpunk 2077 also runs fine although not vr.
I’m on driver version 457.30 btw.

I am able to achieve stable 45 FPS with C152, A320 and B787 with the following setup:
RTX3080
I7-9700
Quest 2 with Oculus Link 90Hz 1.5 5408x2736
In Nvidia panel - VSYNC fast and Prefer Maximum Performance
In FS2020 VR Graphics - Default with 100% Rendering. VR Traffic 10%

Ok, some say Vsync should be on(fast sync). I’ve tried it yesterday and the performance was unstable.
On the ground the A320 got me around 20 fps but once in the air it was around 35.
I will try today again with Vsync off.

1 Like

yes, my mistake - Vsync fast

I posted this as a solution for my other thread.

My system:

i5-9600k OC’d to 4.8ghz.
32GB DDR4 3600mhz
RTX 2060 OC model
1 TB SSD.

I just bought a Gigabyte 3070 OC GPU so haven’t tested with the better card.

Poor performance on Oculus Quest2. What is interesting is if I setup link and go into my Oculus home where I have seagulls flying, then I load up MSFS but keep my headset on in my Oculus home, then before I even switch into VR in MSFS, just the loading of MSFS makes all the seagulls in my Oculus home fly at about 4 fps - all stuttery and slow. So just loading MSFS upsets Oculus Quest2 running on link. So no wonder it runs so badly once I switch to MSFS in VR.

2 Likes

Seriously does no one buy Radeons in here? It’s like everyone who plays MSF is with nVidia.

They’re just not of the same quality.

Did anyone try to go with 72Hz refresh rate? Could possibly be a performance saver.

@ VBHBAU
I am trying to duplicate your settings - but not making it yet with ASW enabled - too stuttery - so far for me, better to have it disabled. I will try Nvidia drivers 446.14 (was on 457.30) - still not sure either about Vsync->fast in Nvidia CPL.

You have done an excellent job of documenting your settings - could you please add which Nvidia driver set you are using. Also, once you change the registry for the OpenXR world away from WMR, the WMR OpenXR Dev Tool settings have no impact. WRT Oculus Debug Tool, you are leaving several values to Defaults, like the Pixels per display Pixel Override, Encode Resolution Width, and Encode Bitrate - we need to nail those down somehow since many are experimenting with those values. Finally (maybe??) we need to pick a takeoff location and aircraft so we can have repeatability and use something on the instrument panel as a measure of clarity. Or maybe at least document like you did with the FPS display snapshot since the Game and Post pixel dimensions need to be the same for everyone - especially for a given clarity level. For example, I am testing a “lower res” like you have set which is “Post 1824x1840 Game 1276x1288” and also a medium resolution at “Post 2368x2400 Game 1657x1680” that works better for the EFIS instrument panels like the TBM 930.

Thanks for starting this - there are a lot of us Quest2 users who are looking for the “best”.

EDIT: I lowered the PPDPO to 0 as you have it which is 1.0 and got the same Post,Game pixel dimensions. Then I tried ASW again and it seemed much better - which means when I try PPDPO at 1.3, then ASW may not work well.

I tried all 3 and didn’t really notice a difference between them, I have keep it at the 90Hz option.

Hello! I’m on a 1660ti, considering an upgrade to 3070. Will I have a meaningful improvement or should I hold out for a 3080?

I7 9700k 4.9ghz.
1660ti
32gb ram.
Quest 2, render 100, anything lower is impossible. And my AA isn’t working all that well either.

Today, get 25 unstable FPS in the middle of nowhere on non glass cockpits. 20 On glass cockpits. Unplayable on jets and in cities.

Anyone with a 3070? Worth the $600? @VBHBAU - I see you’ve upgraded from 2060 to 3070, similar to my plan. Look forward to get your perspective.

Thank you!

1 Like

Ok, I’ll answer my own question in case anyone finds it useful. upgraded from 1660Ti to 3070.

Settings are High on most. (reducing Houses/ bushes Medium did not help with FPS)
in Game Render scale 100/ TAA
OpenXR - 100; Motion Reprojection disabled
C152

ASW Off (seems broken or I need to remove OTT and let Oculus do its thing)
Middle of nowhere desert (KTPH) - 36 to 40 fps.
KLGB to KLAX in dense SoCal - 31 everywhere except KLAX where it dips to 25-27 - running out of VRAM. (i wish I had 10GB, this pursuit is never ending)
Dials are readable, but not where I want it to be.
Planning to do clean install of drivers and follow CptLucky’s guides.
Time for the Devs to tune this one up - good start.
Non VR - goes from 1080p ~30fps to 4k 30 fps in the 787. Thats more than enough at this point.

Thanks!