Finally! SU4 added a Splash Screen!

Good to know. Thanks!

I did have the MS Flash screen but it’s now disappeared, not aware I’ve done anything. I am still on v1.16.2.0 , and have no updates in the ms store or in the game o/s

Any ideas how to get it back ?

It’s now clear that it was not SU4 related, most likely some feature add-in. maybe a test, by XBox games app.

1 Like

Very nice batch file ! (did’nt know you could run javascript in a batch file :yum: )

For just a few days there was a splash screen immediately upon launching rather than the 20 or 30 seconds of wondering if anything is happening after launching the program. Now it’s gone.

I figure someone got fired…

“You’re giving them visual feedback?!? Well, they may do it that way at Apple but not here! Get rid of that thing! Then you’re fired!!” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve never seen it.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/finally-su4-added-a-splash-screen/404897/96

You’re right… Weird!

I only have it with FSUIPC. Are you sure it’s not this one ?

Nope
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/finally-su4-added-a-splash-screen

I got it just after the last update, for a couple of times, then it disappeared…. I thought there was something wrong with my setup but the game was behaving as usual (besides the worse-than-before performance in terms of frames, but that’s another story)

Ditto!
So does this mean that Microsoft/Asobo can access and change things at anytime on our computers (in game)?

Half true. MSFS is a cloud application, it depends on the internet, for elevation updates, for showing AI traffic, group traffic, and photogrammetry. When you’re underways in MSFS, there is download from the server, sometimes data is stored on your disk. And the data is stored in your Local cache and in your GPU. But MS/Asobo cannot change the kernel code that is installed on PC, that will always require an update, also when it is very small. I’ve heard this splash screen disappearing was not a change by MS/Asobo, only MS is to blame. A Windows update killed it.

1 Like

Oddly, for me it was a Windows update that made it appear. It was the preview .NET Framework update that made it work for me. I don’t think I had an update after that, but my splash screen also disappeared.

When I get home I will check the updates installed, and their chronology.

Focus on GameServices… that’s where it came from… and that’s what took it away.

I thought those Game Services were always there, perhaps they just got updated.

The splashscreen got produced by GameServicesUI. Which in that short period it showed would startup together with the sim.

At some point it stopped doing that. Most likely after a GameServices update.

Besides, it was a bit silly this way. I could close the splashscreen, thinking I had killed the sim, but then it would still start up.

2 Likes

This could have been the reason that it was removed.

The splash screen was basically just an indicator that you had initiated the MSFS start-up routine. There seems to be a considerable amount of “overhead” work that occurs in the back-ground, before the simulator actually first appears in the Task Manager, approximately 30-40 seconds for me after initiating start-up.

I have no idea what is happening during that 30-40 second delay. It is definitely not downloading anything from the cloud during that time. I assume that it is just very slow to load the actual program.
Maybe those with faster CPU’s don’t have to wait the 30-40 seconds? I don’t know…

1 Like

I actually have a hard time, especially in 2021, with an app taking more than 20 seconds to display any visual clue about its startup. We’re talking about a basic UI concept here.

I cannot understand that Asobo / Microsoft are unable to add a decent splash screen that appears within the second. It’s beyond me.

3 Likes

It could be the antivirus, including the Microsoft one, checking the big executable before let it run. If we are confident we can create an exception in the antivirus. I can’t test right now, but it’s easy…
Edit : if you have the Steam version. Not sure you can create an exception with the overprotected directories policies of Microsoft Store…