First impressions with the Nvidia 4080 in VR

Got everything transferred over did first flight tests with the 4090. So far….not impressed! No better than the 4080. I left all the settings the same. Effectively took out the 4080 and put in the 4090. I’ve got a pretty heft machine too. Only thing I can figure is maybe the 11900k processor is a bottle neck. My first test is always JFK and taking a plane into Manhattan and buzzing Central Park. Frame rates were down in the single digits at some points.

@Updated…I had put the TLOD up to 325 again since I do a lot of dark star flying @ 270k feet. I’ll put that back down to 200 again tomorrow and repeat the tests from my first post and report back.

Anyways…more to come. That was the first fire up and I spent no more than 30 minutes or so experimenting. I’ll dive deep into it tomorrow.

On a side note…the 4080 would get GPU hotspot around 102c. The 4090 barely broke into the 70’s so something with the new setup is working well!

1 Like

With your CPU, I suggest you start with TLOD at 100 and work up from there. If it were me I’d just leave TLOD at 100.

1 Like

Thanks for your review. I have a Dell with a i9 9900 running at 5.0 GHz, with an 850W power supply. No liquid cooling. The limiting factor is the NVIDIA 2080, which was top-of-the-line at the time. Would you consider selling me your 3080? Does it work without liquid cooling, which I don’t have? Would you consider selling me your 3080?

Somehow I had DX12 still on…

Back at KJFK seeing about a 20% increase FPS vs the 4080. More testing coming vs the other spots used in post 1 above.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.