First impressions with the Nvidia 4080 in VR

Use taskmanager ctrl+shift+esc
Go to details tab and find Flightsimulator exe
Right click->set affinity
For 13700k the last 8 cores in the list are E cores.

Accordingly it should be for any other intel cpu

1 Like

Update 1
DLSS 2 balanced

Saint Bart
All ultra 30-45 fps

Paris
Stable 20fps

Update 2
Hong Kong and Shenzen with Samscene 3d
All ultra

OXR 150
Fps 21 steady

Oxr 100
Fps 35 steady

There is no point to use oxr 150

LOL 21 steady. I have found similar in my testing. NYC discovery flight. FPS does not mean what it use to before or at least with 4080. I at times get steady frames over heavy areas but when I check the FPS its really low for it to be acceptable but it is. Latest updates have been amazing. Hags with DX12, Nvidia low latency all seem to benefit 4000 series.
OXR 200 just pushes the VRAM to 90% and visually does not make a huge difference.
Was also testing higher TLOD and dont see much benefit going higher than 200.
more testing to find the limit/balance of 4080, with 12700k. I am CPU bound even with DLLS on quality

32GB Ram
All ultra
VR G1
Google maps overlay
OXR 100

Orlando Disney world, noon

LOD 400
21 FPS

LOD 200
32 fps

Colorado river noon

LOD 400
45 FPS

1 Like

Do you see any major visual differences between 200 and 400 over Disney? I think its Phototelemety and not 3d objects in Disney.

I just ordered vrtually the same system (4080, 13700k, 32GB) from a local shop and have a G1 as well. Glad to see some reference values what to expect. I’ll bookmark you should I run into trouble (not that probable, but who knows).

Not sure that I understand your settings, you are on DLSS quality but 100% in-game render. As far as I recall, when you select DLSS, you lose the ability to set in game render.

My bad, you are correct. I leave in game render scaling at 100% when that option is available, using TAA antialiasing. If I choose to use DLSS then the scaling will change depending on Quality, Balance, Performance settings etc.

This sim can change from day to day, especially in VR, so depending what I’m flying and where, I still change my settings to suit what I’m doing and how well things seem to be working at that time.

Amen to that brother.

1 Like

i lied. posted 13d ago i wont upgrade. went 4090 now. will get it tomorrow. oh man im ripped now.

3 Likes

I’m going to bump it up too if and when I can get a 4090 at MSRP. The whole thing about double performance for a few hundred bucks just makes sense. Make sure you post your thoughts after you upgrade!

Hey Buggy, i promised to reply!

So i went for the Palit RTX 4090 Game Rock and its mind blowing!

The thing is i still have my old PSU with 750W, it made strange noises under load. To get rid of the cracking i had to lower the power target to only 50%!! So the GPU took only 270Watts, thats around 70W less than my RTX 3080ti did!

I can run 4k Ultra now with NO GPU Limitation, the GPU banner in fps counter is green all the way, 10ms frametimes. But im still Main thread limited. So thats why i only reach 40fps TAA in the FBW A320 at airports.

Then Framegeneration kicks in! It DOUBLES the fps without any arctifacts.

So i get to 80-100 fps and its awesome smooth! You still have the microstutters though due to the terrible code of MSFS and the CPU limitation you cant get rid off.

VR i can go 150% OpenXR High End with DLSS Balanced and get around 40-50 fps.
Keep in mind!!! all those numbers are only with 50% Power Target!!!

I havent used the card to the fullest.

keep in mind Frame Generation DOES NOT work in VR!

Here you can hear the noise from my PSU:

Yowsers! Sounds like a hamster fell into the PSU fan blades. Must be all the power spiking being talked of with the 4090s as my 3080 can pull 340W with my 750W PSU all day long in near silence and your 4090 is pulling less than that. Either that or your PSU fan actually does that have an obstruction in it that is being triggered by a higher fan speed, because that doesn’t sound like something electronic being stressed.

Thanks for that. For me it sounds electronic, terrific sound. So i aborted all stress tests when it occured. Waiting for the new PSU.

Size matters :wink::flushed::face_with_hand_over_mouth:.

I am sorry but with such a high cross I just had to step on the gas. Please do whatever is necessary, I had my day :beers:.

Wow, I was not expecting that noise from the PSU. Wonder what that really is. I thought it was going to be a coil whine thing. When I built my PC, the RTX 3080 would audibly sing under load, varying the “song” as rendered image changed. It was quite annoying. Luckily it was an easy fix and the culprit was the PSU (coolermaster, I think?)! No issues with the better brand of PSU (corsair).

Great to know. I actually scored a 4090 from best buy the other day! Could have bought a few but didn’t want to be greedy. THEN… 4 hours later I get an email from them saying they cancelled my order!!! What the heck! Man I’m still mad. They say no stock to which I say BS because they popped up 3-4 times after my order as available. On the search again…

We’ll Best Buy did a bunch of 4090 drops over the last few days and I scored one. I’m transplanting everything into a new case too since the 4080 barely fit. About half way done should be seeing what the 4090 is like in person on Christmas Day!

2 Likes