First thing I noticed after being away for a year

Please refrain from being positive. It offends so many people.

1 Like

Yeah this is the first place I’ve ever found myself being afraid to say anything positive at all. I’m not even sure why I keep coming back here, to be honest. I adore this simulator now after SU5…It puts a smile on my face every time I fly, and not even FSX did that for me despite all the wonderful years of simming it brought me.

1 Like

That’s quite an exaggeration. Isnt it?

Didn’t even realise there was a bandwagon to jump onto. But now you’ve said that, it means a lot of other people must be complaining too right?

1 Like

We have just had a massive update to the entire engine. There are bugs to resolve. Many people are jumping onto bandwagons, getting out pitchforks and claiming nefarious intent from Asobo/MS.

But it will all quiet down again. We are already seeing some posts apologising / reassessing the situation after playing around with some settings.

Not to say there aren’t real issues - of course there are. I imagine it will take a few updates to bed all these changes in and the next big update is expected to be DX12 so again will be massive.

That said the ultimate limiting factor in game development is always performance and we have got a massive performance boost here. So that opens up a lot of possibilities for the future.

1 Like

Yeah there is a few people here, that don’t see the difference. And this has been said before, but people playing on low or medium settings before will have a hard time noticing the difference since its mainly high-end and Ultra that got hit the hardest.

Examples:

So the downgrade is pretty much backed by facts, but still people act like it aint there :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Most people don’t like it ain’t there but simply are more happy about the great (and stable!) fps than they are angry about the visual impact of it.
Especially knowing that this was not the last update but one that had performance as a main focus.

I for one was using Ultra before and had >40fps outside of the worst photogrammetry.
Still, I prefer having more stable fps since even the best systems had sometimes fps drops. You can read it in the highly voted performance bug thread.

But hey, these facts don’t work in a black&white categorization, so let’s skip them.

They do work, they could have simply added say extreme spec in settings, which is lod and draw distance su4 and before… that would solve pretty much all issues bar a few.

Instead they opted to silently change the existing presets. Or its bugged for all we know.

The kicker is, if you bump your lod ranges up (x2 of your current to match su4) via cfg its still smoother than before.

1 Like

No, they couldn’t. That would have meant to have two versions of the engine, parallell tests, more things to fail etc.
That’s not how software development works.

They will certainly add options to modify the engine parameters to recover some of the lost visuals (or even get better than before). It just wasn’t enough time to do so now.

That’s because it doesn’t fix the other issues that people are raging about. We’re not talking about LOD alone, but culling etc.

Anyway, I’d really love if people would not just be painting a picture that there are just two kinds of users - the ones hating the update and the ones loving it.
There’s a LOT room in between and everyone has a different focus and preference apart from simple hardware differences.
In the forums, we mostly see the extremes, as usual.

Plenty of games are developed for different operating systems by the same dev. XPlane runs on 3 different operating systems with no problems. These days MSFS doesn’t run on their own OS.

1 Like

I disagree, there are already 2, 3 or eve more versions by your logic, since none of the presets on pc match either xbox.

Never did i ask for a seperate version, just another preset that bumps lods so you dont have to fiddle with the cfg… maybe i didnt write that clearly but it was the intention.

If all extreme spec did was increase lod ranges to the level prior there would be a lot less complaints since i feel that is the most common one.

The rest of your post is just you ranting about something i dont care about.

1 Like

I know, but the suggested approach would mean to have two engines in parallel on PC, which is simply not to manage.
Users with lower end configs will certainly not like to give up the performance boost.

Hello, im new to SIM, i have strong rig (3080Ti, Ryzen 5950, 32gb ram 3800hz, 14CL) and i dont have compromision with earllier versions in terms of LOD, but i have a question about stuttering and massive FPS drops while turning the camera, this was always a problem, or its because of this new update?

You asked for the look as it was in SU4 for high end systems. That’s not really feasible since the engine has been reworked and now will have to be adjusted to get back closer for ultra as it was before SU5.
It’s not just the flick of a switch.

All games allow you to adjust the video settings (some down to extremely specific settings)…except…Asobo. There’s no way to fix the draw distance unless you hack the app. That’s ridiculous.

As i explained, the intention was about LoD ranges, which is still very much possible via cfg tweak and doesn’t need a seperate engine lol.

I’m done here. Tried to give a balanced opinion but see that there’s no common ground for it.

1 Like

it was introduced with the new update.

Thanks for answer, when i fly straight in New York i have about 40-45 FPS in New York (with 6000 terrain and building LOD in config file), but when i try to move camera the slide show begins.

Before the update many of us (even on higher-end systems) had issues with stutters even without moving the camera.

Check out this thread, it was the highest voted one (unfortunately you can’t see the vote number anymore):