Solution for recent low resolution ground texture and building pop-in issues

After some tests, I can confirm the graphic issues like low resolution ground texture and building pop-in are related to Terrain LoD setting. Further test shows that Terrain LoD setting after SU5 is different from before that it has less effectiveness now.

LoD 100%: Ground texture start being blurry at around 19,000 ft
LoD 200%: 27,000 ft
LoD 500%: 42,000 ft

Notice how the LoD setting affects the buildings far away

The LoD setting is maxed at 200% in game settings. We can get higher value by edit the settings file manually, but we all known this is not a real solution.

Asobo, please revert Terrain LoD setting effectness.

Yeah have great performance now but the ground textures and poping are just ugly

12 Likes

Thatā€™s a bigger difference than I thought it would be. Thanks for showing that. Now Iā€™m definitely turning them up. Maybe 200 is good enough. I fly in VR so I canā€™t go too high.

Voted for visibility, this is either a very silly bug or a design decision that i do not support.

good work!

7 Likes

Somewhere thereā€™s a lone line of code

newLODMultiplier = oldLODMultiplier / 3
8 Likes

Any idea about the clouds ?

4 Likes

Well what we really do need is a sliders for both Terrain ground Resolution and Buildings draw distance.

Right now theyā€™re tied together, we have no control on it, and on my rig whatā€™s hurting the frame isnā€™t the ground textures but the drawcalls for buildings, Iā€™d rather have lower building draw distance and much higher ground texture res because at FL38 all you need is sharp textures.

We NEED a separate slider for terrain resolutionā€¦

The kind of details I used to have at 90 Terrain LOD on SU4:

The kind of details I get at 100 Terrain LOD on SU5:

Both roughtly at the same altitude (15ā€™000 ish)

Love the performance improvement but hey ā€¦ Give us more options to fine tune our graphics depending on our preferences and our rigs please

14 Likes

Well just done a flight in the 787 looking outside looked amazing and smooth so though great this is so much better as soon as I got to 25,000 and above thatā€™s when the ground image went blurry in places. The LOS above 25,000 is just shocking and really needs looked into.

They also downgraded the light and it is awful!

4 Likes

Completely agree with what has been said about degradations in ground texture quality.
I currently have terrain LOD set at 4 and objects LOD set at 2.
But still the textures are not as crisp as I would like at cruise.

3 Likes

Also seeing a downgrade but getting the ā€˜reasonā€™ behind it. I am on a 1440p monitor and for now what worked for me is adjusting the render scale from 100 to 175 and also a slight LOD increase in the cfg (4). I know this seems a bit crazy and will be depending on your CPU/GPU but the headroom the new patch actually gave made this possibility when I locked my frames to 30fps.

I think there should be more options in game to adjust the experience to your own liking but isnā€™t that something that they were working on already?

Where can I find the config file? Thanks!

My stand on this: Iā€™m fine with nerfing LoD, but Asobo should give more options that can restore previous settings if we desire

2 Likes
  • Windows Store version: %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\UserCfg.opt

• Steam version: %appdata%\Microsoft Flight Simulator\UserCfg.opt

1 Like

Better watch out . The " donā€™t adjust the UserCfg file" police will be on the way shortly !!

1 Like

Whatā€™s that about? I just want my normal ground textures from last week back. :confused:

Some guy arrived on a thread yesterday ( in which I posted a CFG file when asked by another forum member ) , and started saying that people should not be adjusting CFG files etc etc etc .
I ended up, after responding to this guy , getting into trouble with forum moderators.

ę„¼äø»ē‰›é€¼ļ¼Œ Thanks for sharing the solution. I agree that there should be separate option to adjust the object draw distance and terrain texture distance. From what Iā€™ve learned the GPU demand for terrain texture is lower than 3D objects. Also it would be great to add a transition effect to remote objects which happen to be at the border of the drawing distance, such as a fade in fade out feature just so there wonā€™t be a sudden appearance.

what I fear at some point, is that, through a next update, they hardcode such things and prevents us from modifying LODs. Kinda like they, willingly or not, prevented us from using the tree distance mods. And then weā€™ll be stuck

Fully agree. I vaguely remember that they made a statement in a Q&A about implementing more ā€œslidersā€ for PC usersā€¦