Ok so that's why Asobo Downgraded his game on PC?

Aside from numerous before and after comparisons on these very forums showing degradation of LOD rendering distance, reduced cloud detail, washed out palette for SDR, new object pop-in, and more, others have done testing as well. Bijan was one of the first to call some of the problems out before the update even went public. Another example from the maker of one of the tree draw distance addons:

Trees Draw Distance After Sim Update 5 - Flight Simulator Blog

Another thread going into some details of how LOD was nerfed dramatically and has to be brought back up to SU4 levels through config file tweaks: Solution for recent low resolution ground texture and building pop-in issues - Bugs & Issues / Install, Performance & Graphics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

It would require mental gymnastics for me to pretend the sim hasn’t been visually downgraded, BUT the performance gains are amazing so it’s a balancing act for me and I’m not entirely opposed to some of the changes. I get almost 60 FPS in LA which wasn’t possible before this update so I’ll take some bad with the good but I hope we can find a better middle ground. I trust Asobo can do it.

2 Likes