Ok so that's why Asobo Downgraded his game on PC?

Have been measured how? I’m curious.

1 Like

The fact is that here there are plenty of people with old computers that were barely able to start the SIM that now are happy cause they can play (and I’m happy for them)…I’m let’s say “less happy” when they pretend to tell me that what I’m seeing now is exactly what I was seeing till the update on ULTRA. The downgrade is evident, clear as ever…all the rest is simply “noise” from fanboys

3 Likes

Aside from numerous before and after comparisons on these very forums showing degradation of LOD rendering distance, reduced cloud detail, washed out palette for SDR, new object pop-in, and more, others have done testing as well. Bijan was one of the first to call some of the problems out before the update even went public. Another example from the maker of one of the tree draw distance addons:

Trees Draw Distance After Sim Update 5 - Flight Simulator Blog

Another thread going into some details of how LOD was nerfed dramatically and has to be brought back up to SU4 levels through config file tweaks: Solution for recent low resolution ground texture and building pop-in issues - Bugs & Issues / Install, Performance & Graphics - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

It would require mental gymnastics for me to pretend the sim hasn’t been visually downgraded, BUT the performance gains are amazing so it’s a balancing act for me and I’m not entirely opposed to some of the changes. I get almost 60 FPS in LA which wasn’t possible before this update so I’ll take some bad with the good but I hope we can find a better middle ground. I trust Asobo can do it.

2 Likes

I am not sure if you were thinking in the same direction as I or not, But I have been saying all along the Bosses have an agenda, and it is not to serve the PC side of this market, It is guided by the kickbacks that are being given by industries all around. To keep you buying bigger better and still not be where you want to be. Mostly manufacturers that wish to produce a market and I get that, however they could still do better, There is probably a dusty old computer laying around that could write the program all by its artificial self. Think about that. The drone is not designed by airplane wings like all the rest and it flies almost flawlessly. No Helicopters really, really? The Real time traffic knows to go around regardless of the fact that the real airplane landed. The parking guys will push you to the end of the earth if you don’t stop them. Yes, it is a complicated program but, nothing that a 64 year old 10th grader can’t pin a tale on, like the stubborn donkey it really is. It has so many things that are 5 minute fixes that are obvious, so I say it lacks professionalism in so many areas. You can literally tell when they go to lunch, or when it’s Friday. Sorry I am just telling you what I see… A day in the office:“This naming the commands and explaining them is too boring lets go to lunch.” OK, I’ll just copy the command, and put it in the description real quick you know copy paste", “Nobody is going to read those anyway it’s an XBOX game. " “Yep your treat?”, “No the companies paying for it.”,“Be sure to paste a sets or changes in front of those commands”, Got it! “I copied them from a different source than what you see in the game anyway, nobody will ever figure that out.” Yep we can make them work some other day in an update.” . “You mean somebody else can one day”. “No there is an idiot out there that will write a mod for it, and idiots that tell others where it is, and get nothing for that effort, if its good enough we will rework it and blow the community folder up” Yep, lets go to lunch! Carver steak house?, no my gout is acting up. Right or not it’s close.

1 Like

Maybe too close for comfort LOL! I think Xbox Game Studio’s “master plan” has been pretty clear all along if you look at what they’ve said outside of the flightsim community about their plans for Xbox Series X|S and the Xbox Game Pass.
Within that, regarding MSFS, they took everyone by surprise by launching it on PC way before schedule and luckily gained the approval of “traditional” flight simmers, and now established 3rd party developers like PMDG and Aerosoft are on board to give all the new Xbox flight simmers the “seal of approval” from the “traditional” flight sim community that they’re buying into a genuine and realistic flight simulator.
We’ve all contributed to that just by buying the sim and the payware add-ons we proudly own or even regret buying.

2 Likes

For photogrametry that is pretty good. The ingame representation can only be as good as the data it has.

1 Like

Agreed that was just my silly imagination, but I swear you could do the same scenario in other areas of the game. Its like they had a great idea and then a pretty butterfly went by the window. Look how the wind effects its wings! Yeah I’ll make that part of the lift routine. LOL

• Hi All, I have to finally speak up about the Issues for everyone. Here is the problem that is causing everything for everyone. MS/ASOBO have limited RAM and VIDEO Memory in the PC Version to Match the XBOX! It is hard coded to 6.8GB Available RAM and 6.5GB Video RAM to use and no more. Does not matter how much ram you have 16gb 32gb… or Video 8Gb 11GB. You will not be allowed to use it on a software level of the Sim.
    • I see people increasing LOD to 4, 8 and more but it all has to squeeze in to 6.8GB of RAM and just means more is swapped in and out on the fly. Then take addons they have to now fit in to the 6.8GB Memory footprint as well. So this is causing more and more popping and pressure on the system. If you do not believe me run FPS in DEveloper mode and I defy anyone to get passed 7GB Memory and RAM its impossible. So load up large addons and increase your detail and textures and more swapping goes on and pressure on the system. Its the good old Memory Bottleneck in the software due to it been limited. Also why can we not see the graphic graph in delveloper mode? because it is FULL RED HARDLINING 100% all the time at maxxed out. So all they need to do is un stop the RAM and Video Limit they have applied to the coding. Please check on your system if you are unsure or dont believe about this.
2 Likes

Sadly MSFS is intended to be “a beautiful game”. Everybody I know that really love to simulate, not play a game, wait for a year for a basic working VNAV and Flight Plan but everything we see is WU and changes on Sim to work on XBox.

I didn’t have any CTDs until last update and hotfix. Now, everytime I open MSFS I have one. Some friends are still trying to update but it doesn’t work.

Already replied on another topic with similar statement.

Sitting at the Welcome screen.

Either server load issues, or poor source data. I have screenshots of similar quality going back to mid-2020.

You can see similar stuff on Bing maps, which is the photogrammetry source. Open the Windows 10 “Maps” app, go to “3D Cities” under the triple-dot menu of in the right, and look at London.

MSFS will probably never look (much?) better than what you see there, and I see exactly this.

1 Like

I had my first CTDs after the last hotfix and I am really disappointed. However I have to say that Asobo are surely going to resolve all these issues soon. CTDs and PC Ultra Graphics back to the pre SU5 days. I have full faith in Microsoft and Asobo.

As a Captain I would like to say that brining the entire world to home simulation so beautifully deserves the greatest award in aviation. That in itself was a Herculean task so beautifully accomplished by Asobo. Improving graphics, bugs and CTDs will be resolved soon guys. Relax.

Yes, but I don’t think was Osobo but MS, it is like flying the old FSX with the entire cities, trees, etc popping in and out of existence.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s bandwidth or intentional. It seems it was reduced purposefully to optimize/enhance FPS. Would be nice if Asobo would confirm/comment on this as it seems to be one of the top dislikes for SU5 (the reduction of LOD/terrain, etc.)

2 Likes

Yea I am having issues far greater and beyond the intentional downgrades that everyone else is seeing. I am actually getting notices that my bandwidth is not high enough to stream photogrammetry. On my resource monitor I am pulling about 2-3mb/s while in flight, yet if I do a speed test I hit 100mb/s download speeds while I am flying. So I know I have plenty of headway to download more data from MS servers. For some reason I just am not getting very good speeds though.

1 Like

I don’t understand.

1 Like

I also fail to understand what is MS/Asobo’s strategy regarding XBOX. I seriously doubt that the XBOX version will attract any serious pilots. Their focus should only be PC as that is where pilots will go to enjoy this great simulator. I can’t imagine flying on xbox without a keyboard et cetera.

Why downgrade the PC version where real pilots are flying and will continue to keep paying for amazing addons on the marketplace as the simulator develops in the future.

2 Likes

They did confirm the downgrade.

1 Like

I consider myself to be “serious” pilot after 20 years of simming, and I use Xbox with a keyboard, mouse and yoke.

1 Like

That’s great . So you don’t use PC for your fligh simulation ?