First thoughts on sim update 5

I’m reading posts on other threads about SU5 that the graphics quality has decreased significantly, particularly LOD and graphics quality at higher altitudes (which never caused a performance issue). I really hope that isn’t the case. I really liked being able to look directly under the SIM at high altitudes and see detailed realistic ground textures.

I tend to have issues with updates, so waiting a few weeks to play, until MS/Asobo work out the bugs.

It most certainly has decreased, I sound like a broken record at this point but I’m running MSFS fully maxed out aside from resolution scale at 100 and there has been a significant change. The increase in quality doesn’t really start to show till you’re pretty much right on top of the scenery. Looking out in the distance even at sub 10,000 feet the quality is so poor.

3 Likes

I’m really hoping that this isn’t an intentional “feature” to ensure functionality with the X-Box. I was quite happy with the sim they way it was. Is there anyway to not do the update, so I can keep happily flying until when/if the bugs get worked out or am I forced to “upgrade”?

Yeah I put another post up about CTD in another section. Then had an hour long flight without a CTD. Thinking it had resolved itself, I removed the post. How wrong I was.

CTD in the Cessna CJ2 just last night after start-up at YSHT

Thank god I ■■■■ eyesight, coz mine looks fine at 1440p on ULTRA. maybe a bigger LOD, but I can hack that in the usr.cfg file :smiley:

When will the update for CRJ be released? Aerosoft said it installed.

I’ve noticed I had to back off a bit in the config hack after the patch and may do so some more.

Last night I was getting at least 20fps more with terrain at 5 and objects at 9, just tried 4/7 and may go a touch lower and see if I can find that sweet spot.

Clouds are shockingly ugly!

I still dont know,72 hours later. What was supposed to be a 40 GB download patch is now just over 153 GB! I never uninstalled the MSFS 2020 that was working fine in VR. Now I have no idea what is to come,if it stops downloading. I do know I have lost my ORBX scenery and The PDG DC 6 as I moved my community folder as many suggested be done for the new patch.

This is such a dissapointing Upgrade!! if you can call it that, my biggest dissapointment is the Graphics which was the major selling point of this Sim in the first place. Now washed out, high brightness, no contrast, cartoon looking terrain and clouds, this is not what the glossy brochures said before the initial release! And yes I have adjusted everything on my panel and Graphics card from the ideal settings that I once had to no avail, Performance boost is none existant, I can get a few more frames if I turn V-Sync off, really pathetic in my opinion. I have had a PPL since the eighties and thought I had finally found a Sim where I could practice VFR navigation by looking out the window and comparing what I saw on the ground with my course drawn on my WAC Chart, well that was very true and astonishing up until a few day’s ago, now I look out the window and behold a blurry mess with clouds that look like a piece of cotton wool that have an LED torch or similar shining on them at full blast! no contrast in the clouds at all with the highlights blown to smitherenes! Also many of the Aircraft now have malfunctions as well, switches not working, windows not opening, radios (Com2) not working, fuel valves not functioning, Tail numbers no longer being called out by ATC, The controls setup window no longer functioning as before etc etc etc! I will admit that most of these Aircraft faults so far are with expensive 3rd party aircraft that we were all encouraged to buy and quite frankly were the ones that made this Flying experience more real with their detailed cockpits and flight models, but who want’s to fly around in a Cartoon landscape? not me that’s for sure! I believe that if this Sim is not put back to how it was before this “Update” in a timely manner at the very least! then everyone who purchased this product with all it’s promises and functioanality should demand a refund from the Company’s that produced this product, I am pretty certain that Consumer law would back us all to the hilt. Why couldn’t they make a separate copy of the Sim for X-Box with a separate download ? and leave the PC community with what we had and were enjoying before> It could be time to click on the X-Plane icon again. Dissapointed Flight Simmer!!

Horrible burnt out clouds…nothing like the way they used to be!

Really happy, for first time it runs smoothly. Before my settings were less than High but it was quite poor, with plenty of stuttering. Today they are Ultra, everything, and with live traffic.

It is really enjoyable now, much better than before.

My computer specs are ok, but far from top AMD Rizen 7 2700X, 32 GB RAM and RX 5700 XT 8GB, my monitor is 2K. I usually fly A320 Neo from cockpit. I don’t care much on FPS, in fact I limited them to 30, getting some temp reduction while I can’t tell the difference when using the sim.

Yes I can see some graphics re-drawing, but I could see them before update as well.

Congratulations to the manufacturer, really happy. Thank you for a good job!

2 Likes

Changing to Legacy still doesn’t let me operate certain controls. With option set to Lock controls like Yoke change to blue on mouseover and flash yellow onclick but does not hide. Other controls change to blue and change state onclick, other controls like Bat do not change at all. With option set to Legacy controls like Yoke do not change colour and do not hide.
The game is completely unplayable now.

This Sim continues to be a big MESS! lot’s of things broken, even the latest download this morning did not go the way it usually does, had to search on the Store to find the Sim to update it when usually with an update it takes you straight there! What is going on Microsoft? We deserve much better than this! Scenery is still blown to smitherenes regarding the highlights… ATC are a bunch of loonies!

Pros:
60FPS constant Ultra in 4k (was 40 if i was lucky before).
Load times reduced.

Cons:
Pop in and draw distance is terrible.
HDR in daylight is cancer.
World map on right is dumb.

Overall whatever, sim runs fine no crashes.

Please fix the Aircraft selection customisation screen, the aircraft registration and call sign customisation is BROKEN! your inputted text dissapears before you finish typing it and previous registration call sign info lingers with your new Aircraft registration and messes up your call sign with ATC ! is anyone else seeing this fault?

Well, I’ve now had an opportunity to fly for a reasonable number of hours since SU5 and 2 hot fixes.
17-9700k
GTX 1080
32 Mg Ram
Fly TBM 930 with WT G3000
I am totally happy with graphics, LOD, frame rate. I think the update was a success on my part.

The only thing that really needs fixed is the planning which adds waypoints for no reason.
Also the MFD Map keeps freezing. I don’t know if this is an Asobo or WT issue. I have also reported this issue on their Discord.

Otherwise for the most part, at least for me, this was a big plus.

I know others are having issues with some of the features I don’t use. So, I am only speaking on behalf of myself.

1 Like

why don’t report this in the “bugs and issues” section of the forums? I will give a vote, if you do.

Hi Maki,

Do you have bing data and photogrammetry set to ON ? Do that if they’re not… it will fix your issue.

Kev, my system is within the minimum spec… and has worked flawlessly most of the time (other than when ASOBO introduce faults) without stutters with various addons and FBW32NX at around 20 frames and other less complex aircraft at 24 frames - in medium setting. This is sufficient for my needs at the moment. SU5 has introduced deep trenches running along sections of waterways all over the Australian and European scenery as well as deep holes in the scenery with pointy rocket like structures inside each hole… Now this is not my system’s fault - it’s Asobo’s and they should fix it. Issue has been reported to Zendesk but no response thus far…

looks like this is another addon issue, i dont see those abberations.