First thoughts on sim update 5

LOL! thank you for this :rofl:

1 Like

Good luck, be patient?

1 Like

Download was 30 mins… Crashed at first start up with the world map, then again at map, then got sim started, scenery ultra bright, too hard to look at, had to turn down panel brightness which doesn’t really fix anything, makes cockpit dull and hard to use, can not change aircraft registration, stuck on rego I was using before update, very unsatisfied with this update, no change in performance at all…waste of time and money now… stuck in lockdown in Sydney and can’t use my Sim to save my sanity…please fix this very quickly or your Sim will become very unpopular… was the most extraordinary product but now as you can tell from comments you will be abandoned very quickly if you don’t give us the Sim back the way it was for PC only.

@CaptainTriss I’ve noticed that before when the radio was turned down. My magic co-pilot heard it anyway, but I had to turn it up.

1 Like

30 Min!!! Holy SH!T. You must have the fasted internet speed on the planet!
Took me 8 hrs

Shimmering in VR is ruining this update for me (and many other per quick online serach)
Asobo team, please adress this :pray: :disappointed: - merci
guillaume

5900X
RTX 3090
Reverb G2
64gb RAM

Yes 30 mins, 100mb/s download speed, I was surprised too as everyone in my neighbourhood is home in Covid lockdown and probably on the net ! too many bugs tho! find new ones every time I fly…

LOL - ok thanks Boss i will check again but my sound is fine, this is all happening post SU5 so I want ASOBO to be aware. :slight_smile:

Covid lockdown? Is that still going on? I thought that ended back in 2020.

Its all about XBOX mate :slight_smile: I work in IT and I would be sacked releasing this update ROFL! Good work Microsoft / ASOBO

1 Like

No, Sydney Australia is in lockdown because of Delta strain escaping into community from international flight crew, I have been in lockdown at home for 5 weeks, another 4 weeks to go before they reassess the situation…that’s why I need this Sim to work like before SU5 to keep me occupied :frowning:

I feel your pain. I originally spent 4K on a new computer last year just for this sim, back when Melbourne did 112days fo lockdown. We were about 1/2 way through. We have had 3 more lockdowns since then, and with international borders closed, and the fact I was OS 2 to 3 times a year up until 2019, this SIM was meant to keep my travel bug at bay. But alas, now I am cannot travel, nor can I sim any longer. The money I was going to spend upgrading to a new RTX30xx is going to go into flight lessons now as I think that is the only way I am going to get my flying fix. Oh and I guess an XBOX X when they are available :smiley: Sell the gaming PC, take the $1500 loss.

I feel your pain brother

1 Like

Thanks, We just got the news this morning that today is our worst day yet for infection spread in Sydney region… but compared to what happened O/Seas in the past we are nowhere near that …but anything can happen with this virus if people do the wrong thing…anyway let’s hope the Sim get’s fixed asap! I have my PPL but can’t use it because we are not allowed out of our area… so I can’t travel to the airfield… :confused: By the way…flying real aircraft is much easier than Simulated aircraft…good for practicing tho! It got me through all my cross country flight practice back in FS 98 and later days!

In a word? Fantastic!!

I have an i5-10600K paired with an RTX 2070 Super, a combo that except for MSFS pre-SU5 basically ate up and spit out everything I threw at it. Now, it’s chewing up and spitting out MSFS, too. OK, that may be overstating it, but only a little. Last night I flew from KLAS to KDFW and didn’t have any issues aside from a bit of low frames at the gate at KLAS. Of course, I’m using the payware scenery there, so it’s much more hard on my system than the stock scenery would be, but even that issue went away after getting about 25m or so from the gate.

In both 2D and VR, my framerates are so high (so how high are they… I really don’t know as I don’t use fps counters) that aside from the pushback at KLAS I was completely unaware there were individual frames.

It’s almost like someone bought me a free 40-series (dare I say maybe even a 50-series?) GPU for free.

So tonight I decided to “face my nemesis”, so to speak. In the past, Charles de Gaulle airport has been such a performance suck, that the entire city of Paris was basically a no-fly zone for me. So I went over to Simbrief, got a flight plan to fly there from Berlin, and held my breath. And it was fine! And that was in the A32NX, no slouch in it’s own right.

One thing that has particularly struck me is somehow, and I can’t even describe precisely what I mean, or how it was done, but the outside world looks more like, well, the outside world as opposed to a video game approximation of it. Maybe it’s just a subtle color shift, I couldn’t tell you, but it did stun me when I first noticed it.

Now, for those of you reaching for your keyboards to tell me how stupid I am, understand a few things please. First, most people already know how stupid I am. Second, it hasn’t been all sunshine and roses. I did have 2 CTDs last night that I think (but don’t know with certainty) were caused by my third party ATC app. I’ve also had extended (~30 seconds) “blackouts” with my HP Reverb G2s, but there’s no way to know if it was caused by MSFS, or an issue with the HMD itself as it’s certainly not a new problem. I’ve been meaning to have them warranty replaced anyway, and that time may have arrived.

I also has a situation earlier today where the sim “froze”, but not in a conventional sense of the word. It didn’t CTD, it just stopped doing, well, anything. It was almost like I hit the pause button, but I did not do that, at least I don’t think I did. I’ve also seen some of the blown out highlights I’ve read about elsewhere, though nowhere near as bad as some seem to think, nor have I noticed the “VR shimmering” that others have described.

For those of you facing problems, I’d start with the usual suspects… obviously your Community folder, I think that is more critical with this update than with anything else to date. Then overclocks… turn them off. Got at least 32GB of RAM? My personal opinion (and it is just that) is that 16GB just isn’t good enough for this sim in many cases. After that, check your internet connection, but the problem with that is that it requires you to have access to more than one computer on your side of your router/firewall. If none of those help, then it gets harder, unfortunately.

If there are software issues that I’m lucky enough not to have run across (yet?), I hope Asobo addresses them and gets out a hot fix ASAP.

Overall, I’m very happy with SU5, and wanted to interject a little positivity into this thread. Questions, LMK…

Kev

PS… Did you know that the “people mover” trains at DFW actually move? I didn’t because I was never able to get close enough to the building to have anything better than seconds per frame, as opposed to the more traditional frames per second.

1 Like

When it’s stable: BIG LOVE.

• Loving World Map enhancement. Want that also for VFR Map. More more more. :slight_smile:
  • New Garmin
  • Pontoons and Skis! WOW! THANK YOU!

WOW! That’s great to hear!

My A32NX installed through the marketplace has all the switches on the pedestal flickering - it is actually the texts on the switches which come on/off, as if they were refreshing at a fast but visible rate. The stock A320 works fine after the update.

I used the development version through the 3rd party installer, and i couldn’t get the throttle set to exactly the CLB position; it was either a bit before or a bit after ! and I kept getting cockpit warnings.

you need to calibrate your detent using the tablet… i just tried fiddling with those and now its seems ok…

1 Like

I agree with you whole heartedly…i was able to increase LOD to 200, I’m getting 60fps and the world looks totally realistic. Couldn’t be happier.
Happy Flying!