Fix for Aerosoft CRJ broken interactions

TL;DR - I have a made a tool to generate a fix for the broken interactions on the CRJ. Download it here.

Over the past week I have been working on a fix for the cockpit interaction issues that Sim Update 5 introduced for the CRJ product (push buttons in the middle of knobs are not interactable). This fix involves modifying some of the model behaviors that are shipped with the CRJ in order to make the controls compatible with the new interaction system. I know it has been a source of frustration for many, including myself, so I thought Iā€™d do something about it!

I reached out to Mathijs over at Aerosoft but was unfortunately unable to get permission to distribute the modified model behavior XML files directly in a package. However, I came up with a different solution - a simple tool which generates a Microsoft Flight Simulator package containing the fix, using the files that exist on your system from your own CRJ installation. This means I donā€™t need to distribute the XML files and a fix can be available for everyone!

System Requirements:

• Aerosoft CRJ v1.0.6
  • .NET Core 3.1 Runtime (download here)

The application does not modify your existing installation in any way - it simply copies files from the aerosoft-crj package, modifies them to support the new interaction system and builds a new package from those changes. The package will be created in the community folder and named aerosoft-crj-interaction-fix. It can be removed at any time to revert to the current behavior.

The application can be downloaded here.

I have published the source code for the application on GitHub: https://github.com/StevenFrost/Aerosoft-CRJ-Interaction-Fixer. Feel free to take a look through and convince yourself that Iā€™m not out to steal all your data! There are also some known issues and general information which you might find interesting.

If you encounter any issues do let me know in this thread or by creating an issue on the GitHub repository. I canā€™t guarantee any support but Iā€™ll do my best to deal with the big issues.

Finally, a word on the marketplace version of the CRJ. I have been unable to test the application on such an installation since I purchased it from Aerosoft directly. I am aware that marketplace addons often have encryption and as such some files will not be present. I suspect that some, if not all, of the files required by the package generator will be missing for marketplace versions of the CRJ, but thereā€™s no harm in trying. If it does fail due to missing files, thereā€™s nothing I can do Iā€™m afraid!

5 Likes

Nice! So this will work for both lock and legacy mode I assume? Neither is clickable in the default crj (even with lock modeā€™s new LMB+RMB action for center pushes)

The interactions do indeed work in both lock and legacy modes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick note - updated the system requirements in the original post. .NET Core 3.1 Runtime is required for the application to run successfully. You can download it here.

Should this be on W10 already?

I thought it was until I tested on my non-dev PC! Quite surprising really but it isnā€™t shipped by default.

1 Like

Aerosoft CRJ v 1.0.6.0 without fix - below
Legacy mode

Lock mode

In my case no need to fix something that isnā€™t broken :wink:

Known Issues

Fix.
Right click and left click.

Legacy mode - below

Lock mode - below

Thatā€™s weird. I havenā€™t been able to center click any of my buttons either since SU5. Wonder why it affects some people but not others.

2 Likes

I also thought that the new interaction system removed the ability to click those buttons (HDG sync etcā€¦) but fear not, itā€™s still there even if you use legacy mode. As the user above me posted with screenshots, simply hover over the heading knob and press right click. This will change your cursor symbol and allow you to left click now. It is very shifty and hard to work properly if you use head tracking or during a bumpy ride as anytime your cursor moves away from the button it ā€˜resetsā€™ and requires you to hover+right click once again

1 Like

Why on earth canā€™t Aerosoft just fix this . I would think they were quite capable of doing it unless they just donā€™t want to spend any more time and money on it which would be a shame.

2 Likes

The fact that this even works is coincidental. It requires having right click bound to ā€œToggle Cockpit View Freelook (Hold)ā€.

It seems that in SU5, the ā€œenterā€ zone for buttons is smaller than the ā€œexitā€ zone. That is, once hovering over a button, you need to move further away from it to exit itā€™s click zone. For the knobs, that expanded zone completely covers the inner button.

So you need to move over the inner button without crossing the outer knob. With the freelook control bound to right-click, the cursor will disappear when you right click and reappear when you release. If this is done while hovering over the inner button, youā€™ve just gotten to the inner button without crossing the outer button, and it works. As you said, this is difficult with head tracking.

Basically, Aerosoft needs to fix this but clearly doesnā€™t care.

1 Like

Hello,
Will this work with the latest CRJ update for SU6 (1.0.11.0)? Aerosoft for some reason still havenā€™t fixed this.

EDIT: The issue I mentioned below was fixed with an update in the marketplace (the original issue still remains though)

Not only that, I now canā€™t even use the regular knobs (cabin press. alt, map range, etc.) in any of them, including the 700 where that used to work fine. They spin visibly but donā€™t make a sound and have no effect.

Mine today just quit working. Pay money for this and it ends up being a virtual paper weightā€¦ or have to spend more money for ANOTHER addon to become a computer programmer which I paid money to have some one else do I thought. And fixes yet?

Press both mouse buttons at the same time to operate these center buttons. When pressing both, the icon changes from the arrow into a little hand and they can be operated.

@ThievinFrost Any chance the tool can be updated to support the new version?

I went ahead and forked the code and updated it to work with 1.0.15. You can find the details below.

1 Like

I read it all but came away as in the dark as when i started. I bought the aerosoft crj 1000, 550, 700, 900, bundle a few days ago and after finally installing it I now find they wont leave the ground cause the dials, buttons and switches donā€™t work. No dials function except speed, hdg and cas1. All the toggles work but I donā€™t know if they do anything. The overhead push buttons work, and some dials overhead move counter clockwise only. Nothing else functions properly. Iā€™m a novice with computers at best and get scared when I try to do things in that realm. I just love to fly so now Iā€™m asking, Is there a way out for a simple man besides having a go at getting a return done? I really like the plane but had much simpler expectations.
thanks to all for the previous inputs even if I didnā€™t follow most of it.

1 Like

Have you tried using mouse lock mode? This is a setup option in the control settings for the simulator itself.

Im in control settings but could you steer me to the mouse lock mode?