Fix Horrible Runway Lights

More real than the actual ones is an oxymoron. You can’t have something that’s more real than the real thing. Either it’s close to the real thing, or it’s not.

This photo seems to have a lot of particle effects involved…

+1 here. The lights just dont look like from a 2020 sim. Its like the old FSX. Xplane has better RWY lights atm imo. Hopefully we will receive and update to this soon.

2 Likes

Exactly. How on earth does on a flight sim we have such weak clouds and bad looking lights (both runway and night city lighting) ? We see blue taxiway lights from above (We shouldn’t on most occasions) We don’t have a basic form of apron night lightings. It’s all dark outside. I can’t buy add on payware products for every single airport. We need to have some more default features.

I don’t have a deep knowledge about softwares but if it’s related balance between PC and Xbox version I think that at some point we will be slowly run out of patience. I don’t want to feel the effects (downgrade on realism and visual side) of other platform that I don’t even consider trying. Asobo should decide wheter is it a game or sim or lets say if there is a way to divide completely this into two as PC MSFS and XBOX MSFS; please consider this.

It can’t be both at the same time. We can pay more if it’s money related but they need to decide.

I tried a lot to be optimistic from release but day after day we don’t see real progress even on major missing parts: No TCAS - No single study level plane - No high level working A/Pilot - No fully working wheather - Pixelated textures on clouds (Supposed to be fixed !!!) - terrain and airport environment - Bad huge taxiway signs (Supposed to be fixed !!!) - More and more… A looog list. I believe MS / ASOBO can’t make us happy without seperating Xbox and PC because of software/hardware balancing/limiting issues . I think on a single platform it’s simple to fix things but on a double sided platform a fix is causing bug on other side. I fear if we are gonna have more bugs with the release of Xbox ?

I hope I’am completely wrong my aim is not to push pesimism but every single update I feel disappointment.

A single taxiway sign issue marked as fixed but we all see what we see !! It’s only a taxiway issue nothing more than shape and size. It got worse. How ?

Kind regards.

2 Likes

You represented very well what was also my thought when I opened this tread months ago.
Sadly nothing has changed since that time. Developers seem to go their own way without considering the thoughts of flying enthusiasts at all.
The result is that I, who used to fly on the sim several hours every day, now do so more and more rarely. And I am no longer convinced to invest in new HW for this simulator. Has there been a new update? I don’t even know what the new airports are. If I want to visit the world I have better tools. This sim will be a success when there will be an airplane, even one, with which enthusiasts will want to fly for hours without even looking out the window (apart from the runway lights, of course). Those who remember PMDG in FSX will understand me.

1 Like

Unbelievable that this hasn’t been improved yet - the runway/taxiway lighting literally looks like FS2004. Assume the SDK doesn’t even allow 3rd party devs to implement better lights in their packages, as every payware scenery I’ve seen suffers the same issue.

Between this and the poor LOD radius for autogen and full res photoscenery, I’m finding myself going back to x-plane more and more often…

2 Likes

Agree, SU5 was a great opportunity to fix this. But no. The lights are still like from FS2004. It really degrades the immersion during night ops.

1 Like

Also agree lights look terrible. And they shouldn’t be lit during the day by default

2 Likes

still nothing? yuck

2 Likes

Agree, this needs to be fixed and also they need to let us disable runway lights during the daytime.

3 Likes

Seems that there are 3 similar topics that taken together would give these topics a high vote score.

Seems like the folks at X-plane are doubling down on a true realism advantage they have. Meantime we have FSX runway lighting…

“…KLAX was always an inky black void in the sea of lights that is the LA basin; at 34,000 feet no runway lights are pointed up at us.”

X-plane 12 will introduce a new photometric lighting engine for Airport lighting.

1 Like

I just read that XP developer blog and the screenshots look fantastic. Its exactly the kind of runway lighting MSFS needs.

3 Likes

Does anyone else have the problem where the runway lights float above the runway when landing at night? it really screws with depth perception and looks terrible.

what happened here? I thought they were looking into fixing this?

1 Like

Just return to MSFS2020 and after two years the Runway/Taxiway/Aircraft lighting issues are still there: Light effects/details look so basic.
E.g. Taxi centreline lighting, Asobo has just draw a ball over and did some ugly workaround to handle the directional light behaviour whereas it should be like this.
Asobo seems to ignore those details… Is there a Mod or an alternative to bring back a bit of realism?

3 Likes

Im just returning to the sim. Have the lights not been improved yet and it only has 170 votes?

1 Like

Tried the new DEMO by the “competitor” and although it makes me appreciate EVERYTHING Asobo has provided to us thus far, the taxiway and runway lights in said game absolutely blow away the ones in MSFS. Why aren’t these even mentioned in the feedback snapshot wishlist?

4 Likes

Agree. The whole lightning system need a big overhaul - ugly lighting, runway lights that are on all the time even in the day in good visibility and runway centerline lights that are actually on the runway centerline. Getting all these things fixed would make a big difference, it spoils to he look of airports at the moment.

2 Likes

I’d love to add my thoughts here too.

Developers (or especially Asobo) modelling physical lights and embedding that into runways would be amazing. But it would cut into the frame rates. Taxiway and runway lights by default are modelled far too big too.

The other thing that I wish could be reduced is the light ‘orb’ size! Reduce that light circle by a factor of 4, or even better, allow users to scale the effect themselves.

1 Like

In addition, please fix the masking filter set to the approach lighting and runway lights. The intent is to mask the approach lights on the opposite end of the runway and block runway lights when viewed perpendicular to the runway. The side effect is runway lights are partially masked when on a straight in approach and approach lighting fades in and out.

1 Like

Yep, my friend sent me a screen shot telling how real it looks. What he remembers from real life flying. I have tested the demo myself and while not perfect the lighting assets are much better. MSFS has a lot of work to do in this area.

1 Like