Flickering and partially disappearing airport/runway lights

They never said what year!

2 Likes

This is a strange bug in FS2020. The runway lights are missing at random, when flying to a destination airport. When it occurs, the entire edge lights as well as the PAPI are missing, while the approach lights are displayed as normal. Where there are green taxiway center lights, these will float high in the air, and in a flat form, even if the airport has slopes up and or down.
Everything is up to date, including Nvidia drivers.
Please fix this Asobo!

2 Likes

I have exactly the same!!! Best description of the issue!!!

We need a fix soon.

1 Like

This seem to apply on most (if not all) handcrafted airports. At least on my side with limited memory (16G).

Here is Leipzig EDDP from GoY update after an hour long flight (RWY 26R):

(also the green taxi leading lights were floating)

And the whole runway view from Dev mode (EDDP):

Similar has happen also on the Zurich LSZH airport with SU7.

Note that when Wireframes are turned on, the light can be seen. I haven’t found any workaround yet, only to restart flight on the destination airport :smile:

I have exactly the same issue in the flightbeam KDEN airport and in the ORBX ENTO airport. No runway lights during aproach and then green taxi lights floating everywhere!

Same here! Been flying into ENBO and EPGD the last couple days and I’ve had floating green Taxiway lightning and no RWY lightning. I’ve departed EDDL during night times too and lightning was just fine there!

I’m using MSFS on PC (MS Store standard version) and different freeware airport addons.

Having the time of my life flying the WT CJ4 during daytime but night flying is impossible at the moment :frowning:

Issue well visible at Aeronews Germany’s livestream when Pascal flew into LSGG the other day: Wunderschöner Anflug auf GENF! Microsoft Flight Simulator LIVE mit Thrustmaster TCA! AeroNewsGermany - YouTube

This. It’s still a major issue. I was surprised it wasn’t addressed in SU7.

1 Like

I’ve had the same issue but not every flight. It seems flights of about an hour and a half or quicker it doesn’t happen anything over that it does. It happened last night when I was flying into KSDF so I loaded in approach and then something else happened. Has anyone had the runway lights floating about 100 or so feet above the runway? It made the approach extremely confusing. The aircraft was flying very low of the glide slope and papis and I couldn’t figure out why until I flaired and flew right past the lights… O.O then I noticed the actual runway many feet below me still. Screen shot for reference. I loaded the same approach after and everything was fine??

It looks fixed to me on the 1.21.17.0 version. I did flight at night with several Airport around Paris and none of them had disappearing lights.
I need more flying time tho to really be sure since it seems that it’s not always happening.

Have you already tried to fly 2h+ at night? Someone (in this thread?) pointed out that it only happens to him after flights longer than 1,5h iirc.

No but I rarely flight for that long and I always had the issue right away.

1 Like

Pretty sure it happens immediately after the game is loaded, as I’ve seen flickering runway lights while taxiing for takeoff even during the light of the day. At the time I even thought this was an issue with Rex airport textures (as I hadn’t experienced it from the air yet) and it was only much later I realized the sad truth when I couldn’t find the airport at night.

Let’s just hope it gets fully fixed with 1.21.17.0.

1 Like

I did another flight between two airports, completely randomly picked and lights were fine during take off, when I looked behind me, on approach, landing and taxiing…

Had runway lights for take-off on my night flight just now, nothing on landing though.

2 Likes

Just jumping on the bandwagon, I am having the same issue. If I didn’t know better it almost feels like a LOD issue on the runway lights. The airport looks fine to me from far away but around 3nm the lights start disappearing but then show up again when I am around <1nm away and it seems to be every set of lights like the rabbits/ PAPI/ edge marking/ taxi markings etc.

3 Likes

Been flying some legs in northern Norway the last few days and all airports are dark due to this bug. The taxi lights are hovering over the ground. Anyone in the beta program that can confirm if a bugfix is on it’s way ?

A few flights today in northern Scandanavia (Land of the Midnight Sun in summer - absolutely the opposite in winter :roll_eyes:), Restarted the sim between each and found that arrival airports would have no lights, or in one case just approach lights, even though the departure field had full lighting. Restarting the sim would give me lights at the new departure field (the one that I’d landed at before which had no lights) then my new destination would have no lights.

Not using any addon scenery other than WUs .
Pretty sure this is a problem that has only just started on my sim as most of my flying is in the evening in real time - so in the dark this time of year.

3 Likes

Noticed this today in a night flight. Some runway lights flickered on final including PAPI lights.

1 Like

Microsoft Store

No Dev Mode

Lights on destination airport dissapearing/floating

VIDEO LINK

To reproduce simply setup an ifr flight edfm-esms in a tbm9 at night around FL270, Live Weather, Live Traffic, Group Only and do it.

The issue only occurs on destination airports. If I setup IFR ESMS-EDFM the same issu applies for EDFM whereas ESMS is perfectly fine. It happens pretty much at any destination airport if not any.

Xbox Series S, Keyboard, Mouse, Gamepad

1.21.18.0 (and previous)

2 Likes