Flickering reflections on windshields in cockpit view

Using an LG G1 Hdmi 2.1 4k 120Hz HDR10.

1080p projector. Epson TW-7100 (euro model). XSX set up as 1080p.

I have no idea why the monitor / tv used should have an impact on the flickeing caused in the rendering pipeline.
But will tell my X-Box buddies to give their information.

2 Likes

Hisense 55inch LCD / full hd 1080p/1080i
Picture mode: standard

I haven’t changed anything between su8 and su9 and also haven’t changed anything when the issue appeared yesterday with su9.

Additional footage of few planes tested:
Most recognizable in this test session in the kitfox and p-38. But the problem is more or less reproduceable even on stock planes like a320, f/a-18, etc

Twitch

I doesn’t just happen on the XBOX either.

Monitor has not changed since before SU8 and did not see the issue until SU9. If they were there as of SU8 as a few have reported it was very subtle compared to now. I doubt it’s the monitor’s fault but:

LG UltraGear 27" 1440p WQHD 165Hz 1ms GTG IPS LED FreeSync Gaming Monitor (27GP83B-B)

Xbox Series X

Edit to add Xbox settings:

4K UHD @ 60Hz
Allow 50Hz enabled
Allow 24Hz enabled
Allow YCC 4:2:2
Allow 4K enabled

*Although the monitor is capable of VRR that is disabled in the XBox settings because MSFS runs more smoothly with the frame rate locked and I don’t use the console for anything else.

I am sharing my findings, this may help the pc users but don’t know if console users can try this steps. Of course this is not a solution and only a work around.

• Keeping render scale 100% and graphics settings at ultra preset removes the issue for me.

• But I have kept the render scale at 85% and graphics settings at ultra. These caused the flickering for me.

• Keeping the render scale at 85% I lowered the graphics preset to high end and it got fixed for me. So I found the individual setting that causes this for me. It was the windshield effects settings. If I keep it at ultra, the flickering returns at 85% render scale. So I kept all my ultra preset settings except the windshield effects which is kept at high. But I think keeping it at high actually removes those reflections entirely. Not sure about that.

I tested with two planes. Wings 42 247D and FlyingIron Simulations P38L Lightning.
Set up:
R7 5800x
RTX 3080 10GB
32 GB DDR4-3800
4K output resolution

1 Like

No because as has been said before, there’s no render scale on the Xbox. There is one graphical option, to turn HDR10 on and off.

1 Like

This isn’t a game breaking bug or anything, it is mildly annoying, but what I’m surprised at is the developers have known about this for a good few weeks, but haven’t fixed it. One thing is for certain, if they do something stupid and make people wait until SU10 for this to be rectified, there’s going to be an insurrection. The consensus I’m seeing from the forum is that a lot of people are at the end of their tether. I hope the community mods have emphasised this to the developers.

I don’t really get how this would help, unless I’m missing something, and apologies if I am. The monitor/TV output is surely irrelevant?

First, nice to see u here in this thread :+1:
May test it on a few different planes with different weather and especially time settings (raising and down setting sun, night time with cockpit lights and avionics on).
In some situation also with different planes it is getting like that worse that u see those flicker effects all over the place… And that’s in my opinion destroying the sim til literally not playable anymore…

Again, I don’t want to hyper this or make it a horror story…but honestly as far I have experienced it (did testing like 2hours today) and what I have seen on other players footage, this is really a major problem. I’m personally not effected by something like epileptic attacks but can really good imagine others can be triggered by that, as I have never experienced something like that before and even me got headache after watching this effects a while…
For a company I guess that’s not the target with their product and won’t take the risk.

Best greetz

2 Likes

Yes, I’m annoyed enough right now that glaring issues, which were regressions, reported during beta were ignored and the lack of aircraft add-ons for Xbox users I’ve gone back to FSX for now. The WASM issue should have been fixed a long time ago and well before time was being invested in new physics, etc. Sure it’s an old PC and the virtual world looks terrible by comparison but I can at least fly my A2A aircraft with their Accusim enhancements which I miss after a 10 year hiatus.

2 Likes

It’s not a massive issue for me, but I can see how it would be for some, yes. So it does need rectifying quickly really. As I say for me it’s more an annoyance.

I can also see the possible implications for someone who is epileptic. So for that reason alone, it does need to be taken seriously, however minor I personally think it is.

I can see this issue in Famous Flyer II Gee Bee R-2 in Landing position, upper position.

Thank you! Looks like we got a repro, and the devs are investigating this further. Appreciate the help so far.

4 Likes

Hi, sounds good :+1: thanks for the information and the fast work/investigation of the issue.

Please keep us updated.

So please allow me being honest to all of that and please give us some honest answers on the following questions:

1. How can something like these major issue pass through beta testing?
    –>I would bet for sure, that this has been reported multiple times in the beta testing. So why has it been ignored and not addressed before release?

2.will this be fixed asap or do we have to wait to su10?

3.are there plans/improvements to the complete cycle of testing and developing to avoid major bugs passing through beta in future?
–>this isn’t the first time a ‘disaster’ like this happened and impacted a lot of your customers (us, the player base). As we all have jobs in real live, I guess we all know about quality that’s required in full filling that job. So what I want to say is, if I would literally mess up the job I have to do for a multiple times, I wouldn’t work that long in that job… mistakes and errors can happen, but not learning from it is another point. (Just my honest personal thoughts on that)

Please be so kind to answer these 3 questions, as I assume a lot other of ‘your customers’ have the same questions.
Thanks

2 Likes

I don’t think you’ll get the answers you seek. And I have a feeling you will be made to wait until the next update. Which is in 3 months, I think.

It was reported during the beta, right at the beginning in fact. I was one of the people that reported it, and someone else spotted that if your render scale is set to 100% the issue goes away.

I believe that is why the thread was marked as ‘workaround’ but obviously you don’t have the option to do that on the XBOX.

2 Likes

I have the same problem on my Laptop (MSI GE75 Raider 95G - no external monitor)
I actually had this problem a few days back already without SU9.

and now imagine that we already had this bug BEFORE SU8 and it got fixed, only to be reintroduced with SU9. nice work.

2 Likes