Flight Simulator 2020 on Xbox One?

Hi,

Will Flight Simulator 2020 be released on the Xbox One?

Thanks,

Ward

It’s not officially known. I’m personally doubtful as the difference is CPU performance is just too large for it to make sense. The XB1 single-thread performance is only about 1/8th of a modern CPU (Ryzen 5000/Core 10000, Core 11000).
I haven’t compared it with the XSX but I would expect that to also be at least 5 times faster.

The Microsoft E3 presentation is later today, perhaps they’ll say something. It’s highly likely they will show it on XSX/XSS today at least.

So far, they only announced it for Series X and S.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402318233874

1 Like

More than likely not, xbox one won’t handle it neither will one s. Maybe one x

I may bet banned for life, but any bets on how much better it will work on Xbox than on PC…I bet it wont CTD on Xbox. I bet it won’t…I bet it will… {sarcasm font off}

1 Like

Jörg talked about the Xbox One in an interview earlier this year.

I guess it’s a timing thing (about Microsoft’s older console). Obviously memory matters. Certainly on Ultra settings, you need a big PC - well, that’s a lot, lot more memory than what you had on an Xbox One. So it’s a journey, like most things, you know - let’s get the Xbox Series X and S versions done, and then we’ll look ahead after that. We never close doors, and there are other options, though it’s a little bit too early to talk about it.

2 Likes

I really don’t think the CPU on the Xbox One can handle MSFS. When the August release came out, I hadn’t yet upgraded my PC to a modern Ryzen and was still on an ancient old Xeon; paired with an NVIDIA 1060 it was fast enough to handle many games that also ran on Xbox One or PS4, with roughly similar core count (8) and CPU speed (2.2 GHz vs 2.3 GHz) but:

1. the old PC ran MSFS but at about 3 fps; it wasn’t playable at all [might have been slightly faster than that, but it was def too choppy to fly]

2. the PC had tons more RAM (48 GiB system RAM plus 3 GiB VRAM, vs 8 GiB shared on the Xbox)

After replacing the motherboard/CPU/RAM with a modern Ryzen-based system, the same GPU was ok at 1080p until I replaced it with a beefier GPU; but a 1060 is probably more powerful than an Xbox One to begin with.

I don’t think that even with DX12 and a lot of optimizations that it will be playable on the original 2013 Xbox One.

[Note that at least one person with a more similar AMD-based processor is reporting success running MSFS on PC, so this may have been specific to my configuration! We’ll see… :D]

Games crash on Xbox all the time.

If you were getting only 3 FPS with that system then something was seriously wrong. On a Phenom II X6 (which means similar IPC to the Jaguar APU) and at lower settings, a constant 30 FPS is attainable when the GPU is not the limit, and that’s with the current DirectX 11 version. I can’t imagine that a somewhat slower core clock but with two more cores would result in a tenfold decrease.

They said in a recent Q&A that the optimisations will benefit slower systems the most, so I wouldn’t rule out the chance of an Xbox One release yet. I don’t think it’s going to look too pretty on that system, but on the Xbox One X it could be a passable experience. I’m more worried about the loading times due to the HDD, but then they said that this is something they’re improving too.

Overall, my system’s configuration is very similar to the Xbox One. If somehow it is compatible with the DirectX 12 version, I’ll let you know how it goes!

2 Likes

Don’t know what to tell you, it was unplayably slow until I replaced the dual Xeon E5520s with a Ryzen 3700X. That’s a fact. (They do, however, predate the Xbox One’s APU and it’s an Intel, not an AMD, CPU, so shrug.)

(Another thing that might have contributed to my bad performance: Phenom II and presumably Xbox One support additional AMD-specific vector instructions that the Xeon E5520 doesn’t, which MSFS may or may not be able to use. Many newer Intel and AMD CPUs support even newer vector instructions which are preferable, but it’s possible there’s a boost there on older AMDs. Also, I’m not actually sure how IPC compares between these two processors, as the Xeon is a couple years older and might be a generation back.)

Do you have an actual Phenom II-based system to benchmark with? Any example measurements? I’m curious! :slight_smile:

Whoops I see you do! Looking forward to your results when DX12 hits. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the information! Indeed, I’m still using my decade-old system while some parts of my new build are stuck in a frustratingly long RMA process.

I did a quick check on your CPU and it seems that single-threaded performance is very close to mine despite the slower clock speed, which means its IPC should be quite a bit higher than the Jaguar cores. I guess you are right that it had to do with instruction sets. All I know is that the Phenom II does not support SSE4.1 and AVX, a problem with many newer games and especially DirectX 12, and one of the reasons I’m worried about compatibility after Sim Update 5 (the other being my GPU not supporting Direct3D feature level 12_0).

So the chances that I’ll still be able to play the simulator after this update are extremely slim, but if somehow it is still compatible, I’ll make sure to tell you about any potential performance benefits!

2 Likes

The official word is that it’s not out of the question, but they don’t yet know if it’s possible themselves.

At least, this was the official word a couple of months ago, and has not been updated.

3 Likes

Looking at the hardware limitations and considering that MS/Asobo would be busy handling yet another platform, I really hope they don’t release it for Xbox One. Don’t get me wrong, I would be happy if you could enjoy MSFS on Xbox One. But as said above…

1 Like

Today, we can share that Microsoft Flight Simulator will take flight on the Xbox Series

X|S

on July 27 and will be included with Xbox Game Pass. Simmers on Xbox Series X|S
can pre-order and pre-install the experience now and expect the same level of depth as the PC version, with the most authentic and realistic flight simulator we have ever created.

Source https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/microsoft-flight-simulator-xbox-release-date-and-top-gun-maverick-expansion-announced/409501

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

hope not. xbox one is weak, prehistoric technology

2 Likes

It’s not. Only on Xbox X and S

one S won’t run it. Only the X can possibly pull it off

They said during the SDK Q&A last month the had a team actively exploring porting it to XBOX One. They also said they had no idea if it would even be possible. But the idea is being explored. Whether we’ll see it or not is a totally different story, and we won’t know either way until MS make an announcement.

1 Like

I agree, it’d ruin the sim experience for those using Series X/S and PC since they’ll be using the same version. Though, I wouldn’t complain about optimization. I’m personally a PC player, definitely looking forward to the series X version

You can bet if they do manage to make it run on that old clunker that it’s going to be dumbed down so bad it won’t even be the same thing. Honestly, I hope they don’t cheapen their product like that.