FlyByWire A32NX developer complaining about the sad state of the developer / third-party experience

The 320nx mod is the most advanced airliner we have available. Everybody knows about it. It deserves dev attention. So when you have people from Aerosoft saying that they have never had such an easy time communicating with the flightsim devs before it doesn’t sound like everyone is treated that way. Asobo need to get in touch with the NX team and help them out!

10 Likes

I’m not blaming anything on anyone who works in the respected fields, i know that you guys would put forward your best knowledge of the subject, unlike the “high percentage” of the other people that were involved.
In regards to the post, a simple email saying “No” would be completely fine instead of no response. Since they did say, they would have good support for 3rd party addons. Unfortunately Asobo have to get the downloads, installations and optimisations working perfect before they can do anything else otherwise they will just continue to lose sales and we will never have updates for the game haha Old mate should just chill out although its a very frustrating time.

P.S. my game still works perfect after the patch, so im not being salty :stuck_out_tongue:

I had the same experience. Try’d to reach them via mail over the last 3 or 4 months, different addresses, different times. No response. Offered help for the SDK C++ integration, what tools we need and what not. No response. Not even a automated one.

And guys, can you please read whats important here? The issue is not that its new, or what ever. Everyone has known that the SDK is not complete.

The issue is the discrepancy about what say and do regarding communication with third party devs.

1 Like

Precisely. If the “deluxe” planes weren’t locked behind something, there would be nothing stopping modders from just distributing them for free.

That said, I’d love to see Asobo try and work something out with the community teams that want to work on those planes. Maybe officially sanction them somehow.

2 Likes

Just a quick question, and I’m not being a smarty…you say “perfectly”…so no challenges re AP, no challenges re aircraft handling, no challenges re aircraft systems, no challenges re real weather? Or are you saying any of these challenges are acceptable and you can live with them?
I, for one, have a short time where things run as required, well sometimes, then for some inexplicable reason , things go pear shaped very quickly. I am going to do a complete uninstall and reinstall and see if that at least stabilises the game a tad.

They even said they cant do anything with the SDK. So no they wont.

I think a lot of us who can actually walk and breath at the same time have figured out that a lot of beta testers did a good job of reporting, suggesting and actually beta testing but have become the fall guy for the lack of action in addressing those issues by the devs.

It’s down to the devs to keep improving the sim now and hopefully use that feedback, even if it is now and not before, to improve the sim.

2 Likes

What are you talking about?

:wink:

12 Likes

Over a million copies have been sold. That’s over a million people, all with their own ‘special’ set of requirements, all trying to get their very important problems noticed, all think they should be front of the queue.

If every owner sent just one ticket, that’s over a million tickets straight off the bat… And people wonder why they don’t always respond. Maybe put yourselves in their shoes and try and think really hard.

Everyone will just have to wait. It’s that simple. There are more fundamental issues to fix right now, with more people shouting about them.

We don’t even know if this person has actually registered a a developer, I doubt it if they’re just freeware developers doing a bit on the side. So they’re just one voice in a million.

As everyone has said, over and over and over again, in hundreds of threads, it’s only just been released. Everyone will just… have… to… wait.

17 Likes

As far as I can tell the FlyByWire A32NX project has existed for… what? A few weeks?

I recall Asobo saying a while ago that they were still working their way through a massive pile of 3PD dev partner requests, so it’s entirely possible they just haven’t gotten around the the “FlyByWire” folks yet. Just sending an email to Asobo and expecting a prompt response - during a time when they’ve just released their massive new project and are probably feverishly working to extinguish the various fires that have been identified with it, no less - just strikes me as a little presumptuous.

Everyone is tapping their feet waiting for the SDK to be completed, including all of the big players in the add-on space. The SDK isn’t “a joke” - it literally just isn’t finished, and Asobo have never said otherwise.

I think it’s fairly clear from the incomplete state of the airliners, and the comically short beta period, that the sim was probably pushed out the door by decision makers above Asobo - and that’s lamentable. But I’ve also seen nothing to make me doubt that Asobo are sincerely committed to both making this platform as good as it can be, and that they are committed to working with third-parties too. Even among the third-parties quietly grumbling about the state of the SDK, they’ve generally acknowledged that Asobo is very open and communicative with them.

I’d love to see the FlyByWire crew get the support they need to improve on the default A320N. But maybe a little more patience and understanding is in order? I’m sure Asobo is a flurry of activity right now.

22 Likes

I am the OP of the original message, I just wanna clarify something : I do not represent the project in an official capacity. I am only a developer.

6 Likes

That’s actually a bad strategy.

If they focus on making a few study level planes, this would discourage or potentially kill current and budding aircraft addon devs who make a living based on making aircraft addons. If they lose 3rd party developers, it’s their loss, and ultimately our loss as customers due to lack of choice. Also, the development costs would be much higher. Lose-Lose for all parties.

By going wide instead of deep (more imperfect planes), they develop a lot of choice for the community to enjoy as well as improve, whilst also keeping 3rd party devs interested. Also lower development costs. Win-Win for everyone, although it might take some time to reach that stage.

2 Likes

Exactly. This is my theory as well. And it’s a two-edged sword. If you kill the third parties, you pretty much end up with a dead flight sim. MSFS Producer Mr. Yorg himself said he’s not competing with third parties and study level aircraft devs. This is why even though I think we don’t need REX’s weather addon, I still believe they and Activesky devs should be given full access to do whatever they want with weather, so that people could still have options, and REX/Activesky don’t get angry and abandon development.

But this unfortunately also means the default aircraft will be barely usable by experienced simmers, or simmers who want a high-level of systems simulation (if nothing else).

Take the default A320Neo for example. If you as a developer/decision-maker at Microsoft/Asobo allow it to start behaving even half as nicely and accurately as its real life counterpart, do you know which third party developer you will end up killing? Aerosoft! Why and who do you think anyone will buy Aerosoft’s upcoming A320 (which is not study level but still has a large customer base) for MSFS if the default A320 perform even half as nicely and accurately as its real life counterpart?

It’s a problem that I don’t know the solution of, and may be someday if we have AI so advanced that it can scan the 3d models, aerodynamics and systems data of a real life aircraft and then churn out study-level aircraft at the click of a few buttons, then we won’t probably need a lot of manual editing and resource to be dedicated to making aircraft for flight sims. But until then, we are stuck exactly in the same place as we were 20 years ago.

Just want to say that the FlyByWire crew are awesome. They have all done fantastic work so far in so little time. My worry is that due to Asobo screwing this up that the project will be abandoned. I really hope I’m wrong. Keep up the great work FlyByWire.

10 Likes

if you have third party devs whose business it is to sell study level in fs2020 and a thirdparty dev comes along and says they are going to update the underlying basic model in fs2020 to be a study level capable aircraft for free… in this day and age which one is MS2020 going to support ? I would assume MS pick up some sort of fee for sales through the marketplace the priority would be third party devs who support sales vs free… this may be wide of the mark but given the issues that have happened with various websites going under and disappearing with money/software keys/downloads… a marketplace done by MS must be a good thing…but will come with caveats.

2 Likes

This is sad.
That mod is awnsome, it would be smart for asobo, just contact them and work with them to improve the a320… it would stupid not to.

1 Like

MS doesn’t need to pick between either of them. They should support both. No need to choose whether to support the people/company that earns money from selling the product, or the people who do this out of passion and knowhow and receive donations.

1 Like

well who would you support? Those doing it as a hobby and your not earning anything but using time to help them solve issues or the cmpanies in your marketplace that may or may not because I have no idea … paying a pct fee to do it… and if MS are seen to actively go out their way to support a group that is doing something for free how much would firms like aerosoft want that to happen?.. As a business it would not make sense…unless you just create MS2020 with no marketplace and tell people to get on with it as has been in the past…

2 Likes

that’s why i said it’s “sad”. but on long term it’s not smart decision imho.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/ir4wgy/out_of_fuel_what_would_james_bond_do_now_with/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

2 Likes