Flyingiron Spitfire RPM drop

Just got this and started to learn how to star, taxi, takeoff and land this.

However I have run into something which got me stumped.

After flying for a while, my RPM starts to fluxuate and eventually drop.
Reading other posts I suspect that I overheated the engine.

So cruising at 2000 feet with boost at 8, could this be the cause?
If yes, whats the currect boost/rpm for cruise?

What does the prop lever do? Angle the blades?

Turning the radiator flap to open also helps. Its located next to the trim wheel.

Wow…I’m glad I saw this thread. I have been looking at the Spitfire but have been hesitant to purchase. Do you guys like it? Is it up to par FM wise and control surface wise? I fly it a lot in the combat flight sim (We all know what I’m talking about) and am worried that this one won’t measure up to the other’s performance and look. Would be nice to have it in FSX. The Corsair did not disappoint so I’m thinking my luck with the great planes I have purchased in FSX might end with the Spitfire.
Any input on it???
Thax guys!

PC Version

The FlyingIron Spitfire Mk IX has and will probably remain one of the two aircraft addons I use most in MSFS - The other being the MilViz FG-1D Corsiar.

The flight model is comparable to the DCS Spitfire in the normal civilian flight envelope. It’s energy transitions during air combat maneuvering aren’t as “accurate” as the one’s used in DCS. However, I am not a pilot nor have I flown a real Spitfire, so I make this statement to use the same DCS reference standard that you’ve asked for in the comparison.
NOTE: You will still need to make use of your ACM skills if you try to use the “Smart” cam to lock onto a POI.

Ground handling will be a simple transition for you. It uses linked rudder input. It is as simple to control as you’d expect from civilian aircraft. This is due to the limitations in the SDK that don’t allow for proper Spitfire ground handling. It is the one SDK shortcoming that I don’t mind, and I will probably miss when corrected.

The visual modeling of the FlyingIron Spitfire is fantastic. It looks and is rendered at least as good as the DCS model, arguably better due to the lighting. It comes with several liveries to choose from.
NOTE (Same restrictions as other warbirds):

• In game Marketplace Version: The Hispano Cannons and other weapons are removed and cannot be installed on the model due to MSFS rating limitations.
  • Direct or Website Purchase Version: The full intended version of the model that includes the option for Cannons and possibly weapons in the future.

Regarding the engine performance and the overheating issue: You won’t encounter this issue. You have already trained yourself to manage your engine performance relative to your aircraft energy state and altitude. You are already very familiar with max continuous power settings, max climb settings, and max cruise settings. They are very similar if not the same as DCS and to the POH, as I recall. Engine performance is modeled very well. Again, with minor/subtle differences compared to the DCS model.

For me and within the functional world of MSFS, I really appreciate that the FlyingIron comes with the option to use the default GNS430 integrated into the instrument panel in lieu of the gun sight. This is invaluable, at least to me, for operating the Spitfire in her golden years of retirement and appreciation mode - simulating the continued commitment to keep this aircraft flying and navigating in the modern world and to just enjoy the beauty of the landscapes she fought to liberate.

The real bonus is that the FlyingIron Spitfire Mk IX, like the MilViz FG-1D Corsair, reproduces “high fidelity music” during your entire flight. The superb audio experience of the Merlin and R2800 are the most wonderful included details for both addons.

Uh…oh…I see Tea is about to chime in below :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

your radiator will auto open after 115 itself, so you don’t need to open it at all, may be in central africa august when take off, rpm set rpm, angle of blade changed automatically and depend of manifold pressure and air speed, so you can watch manual, but also you can watch the temp, but before watch manual lol, do not give spitfire more than 125c of coolant and 100 of oil(or whatever in manual i don’t sure) that’s only way to found what power - pressure+rpm good, afaik spitfire have some mods when she feels good, you can experiment with time and power, abot rpm/pitch(blade angle) is can be comparable with car shifts, first shift is max rpm/min pitch and very best at low speed - landing take off, high pitch low rpm opposite, but it’s too simple, and all relatively modern piston warbirds include spitfire have auto change pitch(blade angle) so at emergency way, when you have to speed up fast you can use max rpm even in horizon flight but not long time, in normal operation high rpm need for faster accelerate + max manifold pressure, or deccelerate + min manifold pressure… this how to used to work, but how long you don’t use spitfire for air race or dogfight you will feel good with modest positions of throttle and rpm, the more you push warbirds forward the less efficient(growing speed fuel flow) it’s like overclock, the more you do the more it useless.

Thanks so much guys! Very intuitive posts! Thanks and I will head over and pick it up now.

Thx again.
1 Like

I’m flying this bird around the world, following the Silver Spitfire route. I’m around 40 hours into it and really enjoying flying it. As for cruise, I never cruise over +4 boost. I’ll usually have my RPM set to 2200, and will fluctuate my boost depending on how long my flight is and how fuel efficient I need to be. If I’m really trying to stretch fuel, I’ll bring Boost down to - 2 or so.

2 Likes

Great resource regarding engine management.

I’m currently in Nome, Alaska, about to fly west across the water. Check out the Got Gravel Discord, where the event is organized: Got Gravel

I haven’t flown with anybody yet, but I’d be up for it.

1 Like