Flysimware Cessna 414A

Ok so this is something that has been puzzling me lately. I’ve loved this plane right from the day it was released. It flies really well and I was always able to get buttery smooth landings. However, since maybe 3 or 4 updates ago, I’ve noticed that landing it is a lot harder. I make a nice steady approach, touch down very smoothly (almost alway below 100fpm) on the main gear, and then everything goes haywire. It bounces, it tries to take off again, it bounces some more, I end up fighting with the yoke, then it nose plants into the ground.

I’m guessing the physics have changed to be more realistic, but it seems like they changed it quite a bit. It is just me that is seeing this?

Interesting find! I always had the feeling that since a few days (or a week or so not exactly sure) the flight physics has dramatically increased to the better… more smooth and forgiving, the airplane is no longer dancing around like a helpless leaf in the wind when having some weather preset with 5 or 8 knots.

Nothing remotely like this happens for me. The landings are as smooth as ever.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong. The physics are definitely a lot better in flight. It feels like I’m actually controlling an aeroplane that has a bit of weight now. It’s just the landings that have suddenly become problematique for whatever reason. Not every landing, but definitely 1 in 2 landings.

1 Like

Must be something on my end. I’d love to know what it is. Just out of interest what speed do you aim for on touchdown?

Well that´s a bit difficult to explain… I aim always for some higher speed and make the touch-down as smooth as possible, and never “by-the-book” with the risk of stalling with one wrong yoke movement or course correction.

80-100 knots with flaps setting to the 3rd setting give me the perfect landings, while it is very difficult and risky landing with the 4th and last flap setting and at almost stall-speed of 80. The slightest correction makes her stall and crash when being too slow.

While landings with somehow higher speeds are smooth as butter.

But I have never read the manual to know her exact by-the-book speeds, I know that red is stalling and blue-line is perfect climbing speed (especially with one engine).
But there is no white arc for perfect flap speeds on the speed gauge.

1 Like

Thanks for that mate. I usually aim for 90 knots on full flaps. Might try it this evening on the 2nd to last setting to see if it makes a difference.

Trust me, the landings in the 414 with forcefeedback are sublime - until the wheels are on the ground fully, where there is a bit of kicking and heeching to keep straight, but it is a lovely experience with the 414 as opposed to the more carrier landing style behaviour of the 310,which I also love and will eventually master, sort of…

2 Likes

Time for me to get back in training with some 414 kung fu, after a period of time learning the Fenix.

I’ll be interested in how much I’ve ‘broken’ my 414 yoke/rudder/throttle settings while messing about getting the A320 calibrations just right for me.

See you at the grassy side of a runway somewhere :joy:

2 Likes

I use base shakers and that’s pretty good too :slightly_smiling_face:

What yoke are using to get the forcefeedback?

Well that was fun. Hmmmm. Didn’t end up On a grassy verge beside the runway.
In fact, couldn’t get moving :flushed::man_shrugging:t2:. So I’ve obvs, done something wrong, or I’ve forgotten how to properly 414.
Turned her over … in silence. No engine sounds at all.
I then found the MP gauge and the RPM gauge going nuts, swinging from idle to max and back again, over and over.
I expected some movement with brakes off, but nope, no movement. No engine sounds (switch clicks well heard fine).

Looks like I’ve been away too long.
#ThisIsWhyWeHaveChecklists

Back to ground school!!

EDIT: It’s official, and not entirely unexpected… I’m an incompetent fool :laughing:

1 Like

Old Logitech G940. I have two of them, so hopefully okay until I either win the lottery and get a Brunner, or maybe more likely, stick with the G940 for another ten years or so.

Well this thing is a thing of beauty. One of the best GA flight models I have ever had the pleasure of flying thus far in MSFS.

Just out of curiosity How do you know when a new beta is out?

I am loving this plane.

2 Likes

They’ll send you an email

1 Like

There is Lots more info available on the Discord server. They will always announce updates and hotfixes there as well.

1 Like

The low speed behaviour in my opinion is not realistic, I can still get it to climb below stall speed. At flare it feels like a lightweight glider, otherwise I like it overall much.

3 Likes

The overhauled flight model is already very good! She now flies relative stable even with 30 knots of wind speeds in greater heights without being shaken around like a dried out leaf in an autumn storm.

In the older beta versions it was almost impossible to start or land with only a wind speed of 5 knots or so because she was shaking and wobbling like crazy :smiley: now she flies soooo much better.

1 Like

You can watch for it here:
Flysimware’s CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR MSFS2020 – Flysimware

Ok, so are you seeing the same issue as me when landing? Fighting with the controls to get it on the ground safely? Because what I’m seeing definitely doesn’t seem to be realistic.

1 Like