Flysimware Lancair Legacy inbound

Just read from a piece in Google news that Flysimware are going to release the Legacy, which is fabulous news for the GA community.

A quick search on the forum showed that this will go down a storm with a lot of users that remember the fantatic Realair Legacy from FSX. This therefore looks like the opening post for a hopefully long lived Topic. Keep your card on standby…

1 Like

Sadly using the G3X…

3 Likes

And a loooong way off.

That is a pity. It wasnt mentioned in the piece that I saw. Yup, a long way off maybe but after having the 414 under their belt it should be one that gives confidence.

It will have GTN750 capability too… but still… the G3X is so sad.

There is lots of discussion on this on the FlySimWare discord.

Also a good write-up on it here: https://msfsaddons.com/2023/05/11/flysimware-announces-development-of-the-lancair-legacy-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

The stock G3X and working titles cancellation of its further development was actually one of the main reasons we (GotFriends) dropped the project many months into development… It was a vital component to the experience that we knew we couldn’t bring to the table ourselves… These are some of the last screens of the project in sim prior to cancellation. Fingers crossed Working Title or FSW revisit the stock G3X. Wishing Momo and his team the very best on the continued development of Starhawk Legacy.

9 Likes

Yeah the G3X makes the plane entirely redundant. The C414 is such a fantastic airplane with a great beautiful cockpit. Garmin cockpits are just ugly. All above the G3X is just a totally boring and IMO useless device. If it was a Dynon Skyview at least… but I won’t purchase any further addons with a G3X in it. I have the Sting UL, sure, different plane and certainly slower than a Legacy… But I just don’ want to fly just another G3X cockpit.

THIS was a great plane with a really nice cockpit:

The G3X with a GTN 750 have become defacto standards in most experimental aircraft. So, it will be great when MSFS has one with closer fidelity to the real G3X system. I find the GTN 750 fidelity to be more important to a realistic IFR experience than the G3X, though, and fortunately the sim GTN 750s are excellent and use Garmin’s code at their core.

When I fly the real airplane in this configuration IFR, I usually split the G3X PFD (left) screen to show the approach plate on the screen’s right (airplane geolocated) and the G3X’s right screen, in MFD mode, will have the IFR basic map displayed for bigger picture situational awareness, along with engine data. The GTN 750 will also be showing the approach plate with the airplane geolocated on it.

The low fidelity stock sim G3X does not display approach plates. Until it does, when practicing IFR in the sim, I’ll use my iPad Mini to show the approach plates. The GTN 750 and its features and management (“buttonology”) are most helpful to have directly in the sim for accurate IFR practice. The stock sim G3X, not so much…

I’m a big fan of the RealAir Lancair Legacy and I think the new FSW STARHAWK Lancair Legacy with a GTN 750 and even with a low fidelity G3X, will be a much better panel to fly in the sim…

1 Like

As much as I love the digital Instrument panel in my car, for it can display much more information, has much better clarity, brightness, and contrast then analog gauges, it is the exact other way around within the confinement of a computer screen…
Somehow, the rendering of a digital display within a digital dispaly does always look dull, low resolution, and jagged.
After seeing what a masterpiece the 414 was, and especially how accurately and beautifully the analog gauges were rendered, and system depth behind it, I also had an even more masterful “analog” Lancair Legacy in mind when hearing about this project.
So really very sad about this. Loved the Realair Legacy back in the old FSX days.
Flysimware will no doubt make this G3X version a fantastic plane, and it will represent the actual reality of a modern GA plane.
However, for me personally, my interest just dropped to zero,…real bummer :pensive:

2 Likes

Yeah, glass cockpits might be a blessing in real aircraft (although I would argue that they are way too cluttered there as well) but in the sim they are a curse. They are not that easy to read unless you have a giant screen or zoom in too much, and every cockpit looks the same. No variety, no character. Just the definition of bland, cold and soulless . A big part of the fun of purchasing a new aircraft for MSFS is experiencing and learning a new cockpit layout with its individual quirks, look and feel With glass cockpits all that goes away.

Yeah, I buy the occasional glass cockpit aircraft, like the RV-14, but one thing is also for sure: ever since I have the steam gauge version of the Blackbird Porter, I have never touched the glass cockpit version again. And I never will.

6 Likes

So we both met the same people in the previous years? Awesome do you live in my vicinity?
Oh sorry my mistake for one second I thought … well it doesn´t matter I have now seen that you were writing about glass cockpits :smiley:

Sorry what was I thinking ehm yes that´s a design problem every GA fan must now face… all cockpits will look like the exact same, with two G1000 screens or similar layouts, and all instruments from various cockpit screen developers have the exact same design of artificial horizon and GPS.

What is a no-go for cars (because every car needs to be absolute uniqué, must have it´s complete own style and layout and charm) seems to become a new fixed standard for aircraft.
Curse or blessing? Fans of the old cockpit design style will definately say round analogue gauges look better, people who want the maximum amount of comfort, going the easy way, say a glass cockpit is way more practical and easy to read and interpret.

It all comes down on a matter of taste…

In the newer version I like the dark grey, black glass screens and white seats as contrast.
Oh and I found out how glass cockpits are actually readable in the sim!
You need a 4k computer screen and at least a resolution in the sim of 2560x1440.
With this resolution (and up to 4k, the higher the better) the small glass cockpit screens are no longer a blurry mess with altitude speed etc. a two millimeter x two millimeter sized blurry mess of pixels that needs to be fully zoomed in to read, but actually sharp and readable 1/2 to 3/4 zoomed out :slight_smile:

But when comparing round analogue gauges with glass cockpits old analogue gauges surely have a certain charm, especially when looking at the Carenado Archer which is the epitome of charming mega-beautyful old style yesteryear cockpits:

But would this retro-style still fit into a Lancair Legacy which looks more like a carbon-made racer?
Or should the whole plane be from the era sixties to eighties to match inside and outside charm?

2 Likes

IRL this isn’t much of a problem because no one owns 20 different aircraft. And flying in a club or flying rented aircraft it is an advantage if you know how to operate that G1000.

3 Likes

Yeah, like I said, in the real world it is definitely a plus. But I love vintage aircraft and instruments!

4 Likes

Me too. I don’t fly glass. However, I probably would, if A2A made one.

I highly recommend moving to a 55" or greater 4K screen 2 ft from you, just like a real cockpit panel.

2 Likes

To get the true charm of round gauges you need to simulate the occasional vacuum pump failure. Especially charming when you’re in IFR!

2 Likes

And if you were operating a bunch of different types you’d really appreciate it if they all had the same avionics!

2 Likes

Uh vacuum pump failure… that reminds me of something.

I would not want the vacuum pump to fail :wink:

Probably about as charming as the occasional electrical failure when the entire glass cockpit screen with all instruments goes black. :grin:

2 Likes