Flysimware Lancair Legacy inbound

“Electrical failure” isn’t a singular thing though; there’s no “electrical” that just dies. The most likely thing to fail in flight is the alternator, and guess what? Your panel will probably alert you that it died and you’ll have 30 minutes or more of battery power to get yourself down. Depending on the aircraft you may even have a second alternator that’s still working just fine. There’s a chance of a wiring issue due to bad maintenance I suppose but bad maintenance is not an issue that’s exclusive to electrical systems.

Reminds me of FSX’s Yakutat Mail Run mission (a great remake of which can be found on fs.to). Surprisingly, it’s not a death sentence even in IFR conditions, but it does make it A LOT harder to fly just having to rely on the V/S indicator, turn coordinator and HSI.

The RealAir was absolutely fantastic, spent so many hours on it.

And no “Glass Cockpit” aren’t standard anywhere except when you look on YouTube or go to the rich kids airfield, talking about GA of course.

Interesting using the G3X if that is no longer being developed, going the RealAir route would be top, anyone who tried it would know.

2 Likes

In reality glass cockpits become more and more common. Steam gauges are really expensive to maintain and additionally they are heavy. We‘re about to replace the steam gauges in our 1974 C172 by a G500 and GTN750 and we have a GNS400 laying around that might get in there as well :sweat_smile: cheaper in the end.

2 Likes

Maybe we do not fly IRL in the same part of the world then.

Yeah well … my PC monitor spontaneously died for me a few weeks ago, after only being in use for 5 years. There are many different ways that a screen like that can fail.

1 Like

You’d be hard pressed to find a high performance experimental like a Lancair here in the USA that doesn’t have a glass panel. It’d be a really old airplane, or an incredibly cheap builder. The glass stuff is now so affordable that the cost is almost the same as steam gauges.

1 Like

Here’s my instrument panel design for our STARHAWK Lancair Legacy…

1 Like