For those of you locking frames at 30, try this out

Well, I’ll try it and see. But if the first set made no visible difference I don’t know what this will do at all. :slight_smile:

This graphic says all.

But does it look any different to you?

Yes. More fluid experience, less stutters.

1 Like

Also, I note your graph shows an average frame time of 23.1 ms for the version with v-sync on. Does that mean you didn’t have the max framerate set in nvidia control panel, unlike my tests shown above?

Ok, testing now with vsync off and nvidia control panel max frame rate on. It’s about the same stability on both presentation time and start time as with vsync on and nvidia control panel max frame rate on. I see some spikes here and there in the start time, and the presentation time varies a lot.

And because v-sync is off, it looks TERRIBLE when panning the view.

Gonna test with NCP set to ‘vsync: fast’ and see if that helps. :slight_smile:

Ok so that produces a modest improvement to the graph for presentation times, but looks exactly the same on the graph for start times (mostly pretty solid with occasional spikes to double the typical time). Still looks exactly the same as with v-sync on in MSFS to me as well.

So it’s a theoretical improvement, but doesn’t look any better to me.

I just set Nvidia panel max frame 30 and Vsync 1/2 Adapive
and my frames in MSFS went up and smooth VR
I know, who knows what happened.

23.1 was not the average, that was the frame time from that particular frame. Vsync was on in that screenshot and off in the one that has nvidia max framerate.

Weird, then I am not seeing what you’re seeing. My frame times are much more consistent than that with both v-sync on and nvidia max frame rate set to 30.

Again, let me reiterate: I am using BOTH v-sync on AND nvidia max frame rate set to 30.

Interesting. For some reason vsync in the sim provides erratic frame times on my system

To confirm – you tested it with both v-sync on limited to 30 in MSFS and the nvidia control panel set to max rate of 30, both at the same time, together, and had bad results?

I can guess something here but possibly I’m wrong: One of you have the “Fullscreen Optimization” set on the executable, and the other don’t have it.
If set, the program don’t run on real fullscreen and don’t have the full GPU usage as Windows intercept the display to manage it itself through the dwm.exe window process, to be able to add E.g. overlay, etc. and keep control of what happen. That’s why I have this “Fullscreen Optimization” disabled (right click on executable, Compatibility tab).

I can see the same result as @V1ROTA7E personally, when vsync is set in MSFS I have more inconsistency in frametime. Smoother result with NVidia limiter or with RivaTuner.
MSFS devs also changed the way they managed the fullscreen some update ago. Before it was worse as when locking at 30fps you had something like 27fps average…

Funny enough… So I set the Frame limiter to 30 in Nvidia Control Panel, but at this stage the MSFS VSync is still off. So I went to the sim, and then proceed to turn the VSync on… as soon as I hit Apply. My PC Crashed and Reboots.

Then I open MSFS again, as soon as it gets to the menu, it crash to reboot again.

So I had to go to the UserCfg.opt file and manually turn off the VSync so I can at least go to the menu. So now I’m using both Frame Limiter to 30 fps in Nvidia Control Panel, while I also use the “Fast” Vsync in Nvidia Control Panel as well, keeping the VSync in the sim to Off. I will test how this goes.

You obviously don’t understand what is being recommended if you continue to leave MSFS vsync on because anything you try outside of that will do nothing.

So I have tried turning it off, as described above, and can still see no visible difference.

In case this is not clear:

• all tests are with nvidia max framerate set to 30 for msfs
  • i have tried with vsync in msfs on and off
  • i have tried with vsync in nvidia set to default and with it set to fast (both with and without msfs vsync on)
  • there is very little difference in the graphs between them
  • there is no visible difference between any of them, except for screen tearing when no vsync mode is on
  • turning off vsync in the sim does not reduce stutter or increase smoothness visibly

Literally the only significant change in the graphs is if max framerate is on, the frame times are relatively consistent compared to max framerate being off. That’s it. Looks the same. MSFS vsync on and off makes little difference to the graph, either.

Note I’m testing in dense urban photogrammetry areas like Tokyo and Manhattan. Stutters happen regardless of the settings, as new data gets loaded up and unloaded.

That’s unusual, and you should report the bug to ZenDesk if you can reproduce it with all overclocks off.

Hey Guys
Im also limiting my Frames to 30 FPS to get a constant and smooth experience and try to get the best solution to keep the frametimes consistent and not get tearing.

I tried different things but havent tried the NCP limiter. From my latest tests yesterday vsync 30FPS in MSFS was the best experience for me so far, but gonna try NCP limiter tonight.

What i have tested so far is:
Adaptive vsync (half refresh-rate) in NCP > not very good
Special K Limiter > got tearing
RTSS FPS Limiter > got Tearing (should try scanline-sync /2 too)

Any suggestions as to how best to set all this up with a g-sync monitor?

My experience is that Gsync doesnt work well with MSFS as it doesnt use Exclusive Fullscren mode.
If you get Gsync working properly on your system, go for it. If not, you might want to limit your frames to a constant refresh-rate for the smoothest experience.

IF you use Gsync, ignore everything in this thread and just use Gsync.

1 Like

Well… how can I tell if it works properly? :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply. So I definitely get g-sync to work - checked by showing the monitor refresh rate through the OSD and also the mVidia overlay/dev mode and they match. I do get micro stutters though (not tearing) so am going to test limiting frames through nVidia control panel to 40 (I typically get 45-50 FPS) to see if that improves smoothness. I’ll report back