For those of you locking frames at 30, try this out

I think if you enable your monitor to display it’s refresh rate (I have an option to do that through the on screen display) and then also show dev mode (or nVidia overlay) - if the two match, then the monitor refresh rate is matching the GPU refresh rate

Please do, I’m thinking about getting a gsync ultimate monitor.

Ah ok, I see. I’m on a laptop and don’t think there’s any OSD.

Your Gsync monitor should have an FPS counter that you can activate in you monitor menu, mostly somewhere under “OSD” settings. If the monotor refresh-rate is changing along with your ingame FPS, it works.

My experience is that it works, kind of, but not constant. Gsync “disconnects” and the monitor goes to the native refreshrate and then “connects” again and so on… its a bad experience for me, stutters and flickers in MSFS. Even if i am in the FPS-Range that Gsync and my monitor supports.

Which monitor are you using?

Acer Predator z35P (the newer model)

Nah, it’s okay. Just because I can reproduce it, doesn’t mean they can. It’s a very specific issue which may or may not be hardware specific.

Besides, the crash thing is on my testing mode to see what happens if I do this and that.

Now my sim is stable, setting the Max FPS limiter to 30 and “Fast” VSync in Nvidia CP, but turn off Sim VSync.

1 Like

No worries, I hope nobody else experiences the same crash. :slight_smile:

I’m curious, what’s the difference between these three in actual results, both in the graph and visibly?

• setting the Max FPS limiter to 30 and “Fast” VSync in Nvidia CP, but turn on Sim VSync.
  • setting the Max FPS limiter to 30 and “Fast” VSync in Nvidia CP, but turn off Sim VSync.
  • setting the Max FPS limiter to 30 and “use 3d application setting” VSync in Nvidia CP, but turn on Sim VSync.

For me all three perform and look about the same, both in the RTSS frame time graphs and from what I can see by my eye. (Any differences in the graphs are minor, and make no visible difference.)

Wow, I was between that, the Alienware 38, and the Asus Rog Swift PG35VQ.

That’s not good hearing gsync is busted in FS on such a high end monitor.

I had crashes in the menu and world map, but that was because of my GPU overclock. As soon as I got rid of that, everything was fine.

1 Like

It works fine on every other game tho. IMHO it might have to do with the monitor but the main problem is that MSFS doenst use real Full screen, just borderless window-mode.

1 Like

what the difference is exactly, i cant tell without testing, BUT either you use a vsync mode in NCP OR the MSFS vsync and leave “application controlled” in NCP. Using both will probably interfere with each other somehow.

But as far as I can tell it doesn’t interfere. Looks the same, and graphs are similar. What specific problem have you had while testing? If you haven’t tested, why not?

Again, all three combinations seem the same, not just the one. I’ve tested multiple combinations and find no visible difference, just very slight graph differences that make no practical difference.

My monitor is https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.HX1EE.005 and, as I say, g-sync seems to work fine

If it works, keep it. From a logical point of view enabling both in sim and in NCP is redundant. Idk if theres a negative side-effect or not or if one of them is getting cancelled out and the system just uses one of them and ignores the other, i really dont know. But usually the advice is to only use one or the other.
I cant give you a definitive answer tho. If it works, it works. :slight_smile:

Cool, then I’ll stick to:

• NVIDIA max frame rate 30
  • NVIDIA vsync at 3d application setting (default/off)
  • MSFS vsync on, limited to 30

Works great, looks great. Same as all other possibilities.

1 Like

So i just tested the NVC limiter at 30FPS but on my system it doesnt work well. FPS even drop to 25 using it while they are between 40-50 without the limiter, so the limiter doesnt work well on my System.

In my case i just dont limit my fps no where and just let it ride out, smooth for most of the time!

I did say that the Rivatuner Scanline fix was better than the nvidia FPS limiter.

I would say that probably most here are using monitors that are higher refresh rates like 144 and up. Perhaps for some maybe not and then I might begin to understand some that use vsync, they might get screen tearing when looking up close at the panels in the flight deck while panning their view. Though for ones with monitors with high refresh rates what is the reason to enable vsync or any other frame syncing settings? Would like to read more of all the ideas behind it. I mean, are we really going to exceed our monitors refresh rate in frames per second? Is there some hardware combo that nets us 144 Frames Per Second that I am not aware of?

2 Likes