For Xbox Series X players with 120hz TV

Not sure of this has been shared or not but I thought I’d share.

I have a native 120hz TV and my Xbox X display settings default to 4k, 120Hz in the settings.

Change the Hz to 60hz in the display settings of the xbx and restart the sim.

I went from jerky stuttering to silky smooth even over cities like London. I also turned of VRR.

Just thought I’d mention this to anyone with a 120hz tv finding the sim doesn’t flow and stutters.

Interesting… Do you know if the VRR worked previously?
VRR should be great to help against stuttering. Makes a big difference for me to have it enabled, but that’s on a computer with G-Sync, not a TV.

It’s been covered before. But you are correct 60 Hz for FS on xbox (sim actually runs at 30FPS or thereabouts). 120Hz detrimental as well as pointless, but some people still seem to keep it there.

Yup keep it at 60, it stutters in 120, even the menu splash screen animations. With VRR @120 I saw screen tearing, artifacts, etc. I haven’t tried it with VRR @60.

Is there any way to tell if VRR is working @60Hz on the XBox Series X?

When enabled with 120Hz and the monitor’s FPS counter showing you can see the numbers going up and down. When enabled with 60Hz is looks like it locks at 60Hz: i.e. I haven’t seen the numbers going up and down so I’m thinking VRR may not work properly at 60Hz with my monitor.

I have the Hisense U7G so it will run anything xbox can put out. I did run it today with VRR turned on at 60hz HDR and it was fine and dandy. I did break down and put 16GB of cache back in and flew the same route over several major cities and big downloaded airports with the Kodiak(takeoff Manassas VA KHEF, flyover KIAD and KDCA on climbout-both 3rd party plus DC, out to Baltimore to Dover AFB and landed at some grass field nearby, 3 times with different settings), which can be a little demanding, seemed to definitely be better overall with the 16GB cache on and VRR. Pretty ■■■■ excellent. I didn’t check FPS but it ran best setup like that.

2 Likes

did try once but the diffence was huge while moving the camera (especially in the cockpit and also the pointer in the menus) so i moved back to 120

MSFS seems to run best at 60hz

2 Likes

Doesn’t dropping to 60hz on xbox also stop the xbox from using the higher bandwidth on the hdmi 2.1 specs, I think I read something that on 60hz it uses the older hdmi 2.0b up to 18gbps specifications.

I dropped from 120Hz to 60Hz for most of yesterday’s flying. I left VRR enabled although I’m not sure it’s used by MSFS because the monitor FPS counter stays solidly at 60.

My experience was overall flying was smoother. Far, far less micro-stutters but a little more noticeable with rapid head panning. The main difference is every once in a while there is a big “burp” (for lack of a better technical term :slight_smile: ) where the sim pauses for what seems like a second or two which I don’t get with 120Hz (and I don’t get on the S).

I will try increasing the rolling cache to see if the burps are reduced as well. I’ve also been wondering if the burps are due to AI traffic (ground, sea) and real-world air traffic being loaded out to further distances on the X vs the S. If I reduce AI traffic it helps but only marginally. If I disable real world air traffic the sim is smoother as well. Neither of these seem to be factors on the S but of course everything is reduced visually on the S.

I turned my Xbox back to 120hz and definitely see an increase in clarity (as expected). In Theory it should offer a better refresh rate to games that take advantage of 120hz but I don’t think (correct me if I’m wrong) MSFS does. Pretty sure I read somewhere that it’s fixed at 60fps
So the only benefit will be an increase in clarity/detail.

Edit: looks like I was wrong and MSFS does run at 120fps on Xbox. Series X runs @ 1440p and Series S @ 1080p

If I remember why I had stopped using 120hz, I was getting the odd flickering in game. But I’ve had it turned off now since SU6. So, maybe time to try again.

Do you find that when panning in the cockpit from 9ne side to the other, is it smoother at 60hz?

It’s really weird because mine runs fluid like at 60hz with VRR off and the TVs game mode setting to off. I thought it would be the opposite.

I can only think that setting the XB to 60hz the Xbox focuses it’s resources on pushing 60fps where as setting it to 120hz the XB resources are stretched to make 120fps.

Not exactly… I hope I can describe it properly. @60Hz the panning is smooth but slower to catch up where as @120Hz its very fast but you might have bigger stutters.

I think you’re right about the fixed frame rate allowing the XBox the breath a little in between harder work loads. I just don’t understand why we get the bigger “burps” as I’ve been calling them.

In my old FSX days using frame rate caps helped a lot with systems that struggled. So, it makes sense that would help the XBX too. I’m wondering if there is some quality or distance setting Asobo could reduce ever so slightly to make the lack of stutters on par with the XBS consoles?

Overall I felt it was running smoother yesterday @60Hz but I’m now curious about whether I can see improved sharpness at 120Hz (since that was mentioned above).

1 other things I believe helped me:

• I reduced the resolution to 1440p because that’s what my monitor supports natively (I still have the Allow 4K setting enabled along with 50Hz, 24Hz and VRR)
  • [Removed comment about sRGB - I think it was a placebo effect]

EDIT: After more testing I don’t think the monitor’s sRGB mode vs the other gaming modes made any difference so I’ve removed that comment.

PS. I will add that when it’s “smoother” for me at 60Hz what I’m referring to is in forward flight, coming into an airport, looking forward while turning the a/c left and right or panning your view 90 degrees then watching the scenery go by (after it settles down from the panning motion). The motion feels more fluid with very little in the way of micro-stutters but there are those occasional and very noticeable pauses (burps).

I ran a few flights today mostly around San Francisco at 120hz no stutters or issue so far.

Are you on the series x?

if you have a fast panel, with good video circuitry, TV

then there is no problem running the XsX at 120Hz, with MFS

the Samsung QN90A achieves this performance…

I have a Samsung (Q70A 2021) which is native 120, VRR HDR with FreeSync and HDMI 2.1. it runs much better with 60hz. 120 still looks fine but with 60 it’s much smoother.

this 60Hz would be best for your model of TV, (Q70A)

doesn’t mean other TVs cannot successfully use the 120Hz setting…

I understand that, I just find it strange when I turn enhancement features off the sim performs better.

How do you determine that 60hz is optimal for the Q70A? It’s native 120 with 240hz enhanced feature.