Force feedback support

I’m using airforceplayer and it works great with my logitech G940 flight syste. The only thing I’m missing is that wind forces are not simulated/transferred to the controller.

I too own an old sidewinder force feedback for gameport from my old FS98 times (grat on an old Windows XP PC) but using a simple gameport to USB adapter does not support force feedback on that joystick…

Mine are both usb and work perfectly. The problem is that you have to use an add-on to calculate the forces on the control surfaces, which MSFS has already calculated as part of the SU10 and su11 improvements.

Is there a way to check if the simFFB is working? Or at least a visual indication of the trim position. Sometimes I have to reset it because I’m not sure if it is working or not.

I just feel it on the stick - it is moving when I trim.

Readme file is here

I tried the demo version of XPForce, and it is working well (and I own the RHINO)
Of course I am waiting for official FFB support by Asobo.

2 Likes

It is just smartscreen that “doesn’t know” the software…Allow to execute it and it will be fine.
But XPForce has a time limited demo version…I am using that at the moment.

1 Like

594 Votes.

Time to take notice Asobo.

Yesterday I tried Airforce player but I didn’t work. Is it still compatible with sim? BTW I am mostly interested on the trim simulation on the stick, more than other kind of effects, does this tool simulate it?

FF2 here, I tried Airforce player with success after some hours testing - everytime I clicked on “Start” button was loosing the force feedback on my joystick.
Here what I did to make it work:

• Start Airforce player after MSFS;
  • Create a new profile;
  • Attach the new profile to the device (above the gain slider);
  • “Start” button.

Next time you want to use it, you just need to make sure that you start the Airforce after start MSFS and with the new profile.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome. Following your steps it works, and it works really well. But it only with the default profile. With the ones I’ve created, it didn’t, even with the same default options. If I modifying any parameter in the default profile, it doesn’t work either. But If I set back to the original options, it works again. Very weird.
Where does it save the profiles? I don’t see them in main folder.

Another question, the landing gear effect… isn’t it too much??? it seems it is going away to break Nevermind, I had placed the joy over the usb cable.

In my case I created a new “MyProfile” that is assigned to the joystick and I can edit it with success - it is the only profile that I’ve + the default.

Still trying to ajust it but for my Fenix a320 I’ve the following settings:
Gain: 6/10
Aileron: 40% damping, 20% friction
Elevator: 40% damping, 20% friction
Brake effect disabled
All the other settings default

The profiles are kept in the windows registry.

1 Like

Let me ask you: What is the difference between friction and damping?

One makes you hot, the other makes you wet :wink:

6 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

serious answer:

damping is like friction that gets higher near the spring center. it prevents overshoot & oscillation if you just pulled the stick back and let go.

friction acts on the entire range. if you turned off spring forces you would have to push the stick harder everywhere in every direction.

3 Likes

pretty much … friction makes things “stiff” whereas damping acts like a shock absorber

1 Like

My description would be as follows:

Friction is a constant force. So it adds constant resistance to the stick. One can think of it as more loose or more tightened linkages.
Dampening is a force that resists the change of velocity of a motion. So it adds more force to the stick, the faster one tries to deflect it.

Both effects combined would in theory allow to perfectly emulate practically all kind of planes with regards to their control forces, and I’ve spent many hours back in FS2004 (then using FSforce) trying to setup each plane specifically.
However, in the end, I found the range of forces the old sidewinder is capable of reproducing was too little, as was the resolution of its forces, as was its physical range of movement of the yoke itself.

Sidewinder + XPForce is just about decent enough to allow to get some sense of what the aircraft is doing in MSFF.
However, I’m also driving racing games with a dedicated rig with Direct drive FFB Wheel, which gives amazing feedback and seats of the pants feeling for what the car is doing, so naturally I’m dreaming of native FFB integration and capable hardware for MSFF too. It would elevate flight simulation to a whole new level (granted not for modern FBW jets…)

Well, 611 votes already, and counting…

2 Likes

Past couple weeks I’ve been flying using Airforce player and I ending with similar conclusions. Particularly the resolution. But after all these flights I’m not going back to my old yoke. I’ve lost a little immersion but I’ve gain a lot thanks to recover the feedback of the airplane trim. The rest of the effects (ground bumping, touchdown, even buffeting stall, etc) are almost cosmetic to me. But having again certain level of trim resistance is, as usually is said, an absolute game changing.

Do you have tested Airforce player? I’d love to know your opinion about the trim resistance comparing it with XPForce.

I’ve tried without success in the past, but I’ll try it out again, after just reading that @alexppt5911 had gotten it to work.

I also noted, that some of the seemingly coarse resolution of forces might be down to the plugin. At least FSforce in FS9 and FSX works smoother then does XPForce in MSFS.
I’ll report back if I get Airforce player to work

1 Like

It makes sense as the forces are “simulated” without any input from the sim. Maybe that is the cause.

1 Like